Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

slave1 wrote: »
    Re power limitations, ESB need to wise up, as we move from ICE vehicles we all know right now more electricity will be required.

Its not so much ESB needing to wise up... if you are willing to splash the cash ESB will give you the power alright. The costs are eye watering though when you are looking at the levels of power a small town would take!

If the location you are asking for is a long way from the HV grid then the costs go up.

Similar story with getting 3-phase in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

slave1 wrote:
    Nice stab but Zoe's can take 22, some Tesla's are 16, certain older Tesla's are 22, e-Tron 22 I think, upcoming Nissan Ariya is 22 and who knows what's coming down the line that will go 3phase 22. Future proof and maximize the on-board chargers of the EVs.
    How many % of the EV fleet in Ireland combined remind me? <10%?

Zoes - alright
    Ariya - 0
    Etron - few pieces
    Tesla S dual charger - not many

Tesla went back to 11 from 22 kW AC.
    What is important is what's on the ground now and near future - 90% cars waste output on 22 kW AC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

McGiver wrote:
    Tesla went back to 11 from 22 kW AC. What is important is what's on the ground now and near future - 90% cars waste output on 22 kW AC

I.e. We could double the number of ports immediately by going 4x11 kW instead of 2x22 kW AC. Wouldn't you prefer that? Upgrades can be thought of and implemented when it's clear the car standard moves to 22 kW AC. It's far from the case.

Nothing against Zoes BTW. 22 kW AC is cool.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

McGiver wrote: »
    I.e. We could double the number of ports immediately by going 4x11 kW instead of 2x22 kW AC. Wouldn't you prefer that? Upgrades can be thought of and implemented when it's clear the car standard moves to 22 kW AC. It's far from the case.

Nothing against Zoes BTW. 22 kW AC is cool.

drawback of having just 11kw, its split over 3 phases, so any single phase car that rocks up can only get 3.6

that can be designed around though, give 7kw on single phase and 11 on 3 phase. I dont know the logistics of it though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just on the 'it's pointless' only getting 50-70km range from Decathlon on their AC chargers..

If I drive my diesel car to Decathlon (50km round trip), it's cost me roughly €4.80 in diesel on todays prices.
    If I drive my electric car there, it'll cost me roughly €0.50

If I visit Decathlon for 30 minutes and plug in while I'm there, the drive there will cost me nothing but the time it took to actually drive there..

Granted it's only a saving of €0.50, but still, how is that pointless.

Chances are I'll end up spending a few quid in the shop anyway, so why not get the trip there and back for free!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Granted it's only a saving of €0.50, but still, how is that pointless.

Because it will take you several minutes of your time connecting it and disconnecting it (and that's if a member of staff comes running to you as soon as you get there to start your charge with their fob). This values your time at less than minimum wage. And your car charges 50% quicker than most EVs. For a typical EV charging at 7kW it's more like €0.25 saved...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah but what if it’s not just about the monetary savings?

What if I’d feel more comfortable to drive home with 42% SoC instead of 30%? Would be handy if we decided to take a detour somewhere.

And this is exactly how I treat the eCars AC22’s (currently). If it’s there, I’ll take it.

I’d like to have the extra juice and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.....

If you need the charge to get home, that's of course a different ballgame. Not that it is relevant to you though ;)

We were just talking about the money savings here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

obi604 wrote: »
    I’m obviously Missing Something. The car is reversed in at an angle. What can’t it just reverse in straight and there would not be such a pull on the cable

Or move over to the right a bit.

What are you up to pal? I charged here today and reversed in and all was well? Was not charged either Whooot

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems the new 44kW units are a bit finiky to release the cables (specifically the CCS). Guy mentioned he couldn't get the new clonmel one to release today, and others mentioning that kells and Cavan ones are similar. That there's a knack to it.

The esb giveth, and the esb taketh away.

• Advertisement

I had to fly up to work this morning for a maintenance Window and I saw the new 150 Kw charger. It’s a good bit larger than the 50 kw.

While it’s great to see a 150 Kw charger I’m just thinking how bad it would be if I could charge at that rate and there’s a Leaf charging at 30 kw or any other older ev even the 21 KWh i3, Zoe etc

Never happy but you’d have to agree it would be frustrating charging at 45-50 kw when a car that can only see 30-45 kw using the 150 Kw.

Now I’m eating a nice Mcmuffin.

So far I’ve had to endure

Grace - rag and bone man
    Let me down slowly - Alec Benjamin
    Just give me a reason - p!nk feat. Nate Ruess
    Loosing me - Gabrielle Alpin & JP Cooper

Jesus my head is spinning the music is just shockingly bad I don’t know how people listen to that head wrecking Sh!te, I had to Shazam to see what the crap was and they have it up loud.......

33 mins 11-93% 27 kWh not bad.

It was charging at 27 kw at 93% when I unplugged from the 50 kw charger.

So far this year I’ve spend 47 euro on fast charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Worse the 150kW is free (at the moment) while the 50kW is pay. So it makes financial sense for those that can charge to pick the 150kW even if they can't fill up at above 50kW.

So lots of 24kWh battery Leaf sitting on 150kW charging at 40kW.

The upside is that both Chademo and CCS can be used AT SAME TIME but it limits the other user to 75kW, so if the other user was a car capable of 150kW, they would see their speed half as soon as a second user plugs in.

I think the 62kWh leaf can use slightly above 50kW on Chademo but I think they should just drop Chademo on these chargers and go 2 x CCS. Even Nissan agree Chademo in Europe is a dying standard and nearly 100% of Chademo cars won't see any benefit of using these chargers. Hopefully in 4 or 5 years the cables can be swapped to 2 x CCS as market changes and more cars can charge higher than 50kW.

Dhmo6H9.jpg

rqhAXVW.jpg

zg3409 wrote: »
    Worse the 150kW is free (at the moment) while the 50kW is pay. So it makes financial sense for those that can charge to pick the 150kW even if they can't fill up at above 50kW.

So lots of 24kWh battery Leaf sitting on 150kW charging at 40kW.

The upside is that both Chademo and CCS can be used AT SAME TIME but it limits the other user to 75kW, so if the other user was a car capable of 150kW, they would see their speed half as soon as a second user plugs in.

I think the 62kWh leaf can use slightly above 50kW on Chademo but I think they should just drop Chademo on these chargers and go 2 x CCS. Even Nissan agree Chademo in Europe is a dying standard and nearly 100% of Chademo cars won't see any benefit of using these chargers. Hopefully in 4 or 5 years the cables can be swapped to 2 x CCS as market changes and more cars can charge higher than 50kW.

You're joking, the 150 Kw is free and I used the 50 Kw and got charged, how is this possible ?

The 24 Kw Leaf would only see 40 Kw for a short time.

I agree completely, having ChaDeMo on 150 Kw chargers is just a ridiculous joke.

Good that ChaDeMo can be used at the same time, I didn't know that, I suppose if a Leaf 24 is plugged and pulling 30 Kw then that would leave a decent 120 Kw for the other car and to be honest there's not a lot of cars that can sustain 150 Kw for more than a few mins yet.

It's a joke Nissan used ChaDeMo on the 62 Kwh.

I suppose if a Leaf 24 is plugged and pulling 30 Kw then that would leave a decent 120 Kw for the other car

No. Inside is two 75kW chargers. If two cars are connected each car can take a maximum of 75kW. It won't variably share the power besides splitting it in half, but its great at that site up to 3 cars (or 4 if they can use AC43 at 43kW) can all fill up quickly.

However that site needs more chargers still as does most motorway sites with single or dual chargers.

So far this year I’ve spend 47 euro on fast charging.

So far this year I've spent €1 on fast charging, €0 on public slow charging and about €30 on home charging. Not bad for the guts of 10,000km :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    So far this year I've spent €1 on fast charging, €0 on public slow charging and about €30 on home charging. Not bad for the guts of 10,000km :D

Your username should be changed to frugal :).

I don't mind spending money on charging, that's not including Petrol money which could be that again, I don't know, I might go through 8 litres of Petrol in 2 or 3 months or could be more.

I don't mind spending money on charging

The funny thing is, neither do I. As long as I can get a quick charge while travelling I would be happy to pay up to €1/kWh for a fast charge without queuing (but it rarely happens I do this and my car can't fast charge anyway on the Irish public charging network) or if I can charge at home at the night rate

But with COVID, I've been doing a lot of my shopping at a big Tesco Extra because they have a lot more than just groceries. They also have 23kW chargers and with the queuing and the weekly shop, I have been getting more than enough range to last me until the next weeks shop

• Advertisement

Seems the new 44kW units are a bit finiky to release the cables (specifically the CCS). Guy mentioned he couldn't get the new clonmel one to release today, and others mentioning that kells and Cavan ones are similar. That there's a knack to it.

The esb giveth, and the esb taketh away.

Report on June 1st same issue in Cavan town, CCS was marked bad on app, then OK on app, now today someone attempted to use same charger and CCS would not unlock after multiple attempts, wiggling and ring call centre.

So whatever they 'did' to fix Cavan town still faulty as of today. The knack seems to be down to luck

The funny thing is, neither do I. As long as I can get a quick charge while travelling I would be happy to pay up to €1/kWh for a fast charge without queuing (but it rarely happens I do this and my car can't fast charge anyway on the Irish public charging network) or if I can charge at home at the night rate

But with COVID, I've been doing a lot of my shopping at a big Tesco Extra because they have a lot more than just groceries. They also have 23kW chargers and with the queuing and the weekly shop, I have been getting more than enough range to last me until the next weeks shop

So AC is useful after all Unkel ? :D

So AC is useful after all Unkel ? :D

OC20™ ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think €1 is too high, but I'm OK with paying 50c/60c to charge at a multi site charger with the knowledge that's is likely to be available. Tried to stop at Kill North on the way back from Kildare, apparently they still aren't up.

It is high, but I would still be happy to pay €1/kWh the once or twice a year that I would need it and I'd have the family on board who are a lot less patient than I am :D

OC20™ ;)

Completely lost me there ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Completely lost me there ? :confused:
    . . .
    OC20™

Only charge if you can get at least 20kWh! :p

innrain wrote: »
    . . .

Oh Right Ted.

Unkel getting rather fond of the useless AC, I wonder should I pull up all his anti AC posts ? :D

You will not find any inconsistencies. I've always said it is nonsense to plug in if all you are getting is a few kWh. Waste of time. When I had a car that could only slow charge at 7kW (like most EVs), I'd only plug in if I was going to be there for several hours (3 hours times 7kW = OC20™, geddit?). Now I have a car that can slow charge three times as fast so I sometimes even plug in when I'm only at the Tesco for 80-90 minutes, taking in a good 30+kWh

And I have also always said the ESB should forget about spending tax payers money on slow chargers, that we need more (very) fast chargers. And not the ones where only one or two cars can charge at the same time, but hubs of 6-8 very fast chargers. I've said this so many times that even people who agree with me on this are getting sick of it :p

• Advertisement

You will not find any inconsistencies. I've always said it is nonsense to plug in if all you are getting is a few kWh. Waste of time. When I had a car that could only slow charge at 7kW (like most EVs), I'd only plug in if I was going to be there for several hours (3 hours times 7kW = OC20™, geddit?). Now I have a car that can slow charge three times as fast so I sometimes even plug in when I'm only at the Tesco for 80-90 minutes, taking in a good 30+kWh

And I have also always said the ESB should forget about spending tax payers money on slow chargers, that we need more (very) fast chargers. And not the ones where only one or two cars can charge at the same time, but hubs of 6-8 very fast chargers. I've said this so many times that even people who agree with me on this are getting sick of it :p

1.5 hrs at Tesco ? spending more time there for a free charge ? ;)

Advertisement