Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It sure looks like that when you leave off the rest of the quote
    "Then in four to six weeks we will be looking at eight-bay hubs that will have super chargers and fast chargers at key national routes by autumn."

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How long have we been hearing that?

mañana, mañana, mañana

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Goldmark

Portlaoise Plaza to open on Friday I think. They might be going to contruct them on that site.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Have to say it's the first time I've heard an indicative timeline of Autumn 2020. Approximately 21 months after the initial post with details of the investment, as semi state programmes of work go it's quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Independent article reporting on the eCars network.

"Then in four to six weeks we will be looking at eight-bay hubs that will have super chargers and fast chargers at key national routes by autumn."

Autumn 2026 :D.

• Advertisement

Would they ever just copy an Ionity installation, put in 4x 150kW chargers per location, with a decent layout, & proper, long suspended cables.

Make provision for 6x chargers, add 2 extra at a later date, when demand/load factor increases.

Charge 50c/kWh & be done with it.

Is it that hard, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Kramer wrote: »
    Would they ever just copy an Ionity installation, put in 4x 150kW chargers per location, with a decent layout, & proper, long suspended cables.

Make provision for 6x chargers, add 2 extra at a later date, when demand/load factor increases.

Is it that hard, really?

They could even go one better than Ionity and put a cover over the damn things!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KCross wrote: »
    The cost of having the power available at a moments notice goes up with the power of the chargers.... its relatively easy to provide 50kW.
    Providing several 150kW chargers at the same time costs alot more on the grid side hence the costs to the consumer will be higher to access those.

i.e. Its not the cost of the charger itself, its primarily the grid side is the bigger issue.

I was referring to this bit:
    Also you'd think Ecars themselves would know their kWh from their kW.

When to my eyes, Ecars got their units perfectly correct.

Oh, by all means continue to tinker away at the peripheral stuff, upgrading 22kW AC points, replace some with 44kW DC chargers. Add loads of 7kW "destination" charging in car parks, railway stations etc. Even banks of weatherproof outdoor sockets, so drivers could hook up their own "granny chargers", would suffice in railway station car parks & cost next to nothing.

Take for example Alaska. Almost every business there has low amperage sockets available for people to hook up their cars for block heating in the frigid winter temps.

Here, even 2kWs would provide almost 20kWhs for a commuter parked up in their station for the day. Who lives more than 100kms from their railway station, that they would need more than 2/3kWs over an 8 to 10 hour period?

Apart from budget, I can see no reason why ECars can't get this right. It's been done correctly in Norway for years & throughout Europe by Ionity.

I'm perplexed, maybe I'm missing something :confused:.

Does anyone really think we'll see 8 bay superhubs here within the next 4 months?

When to my eyes, Ecars got their units perfectly correct.

They didn't. Throughout the article, they used kWh incorrectly, where they should have used kW.
    There is no such thing as a 150kWh charger.

It adds to their lack of credibility IMO. If they can't even get the terminology correct......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They could even go one better than Ionity and put a cover over the damn things!

Now now thats crazy talk, who on earth would think thats a good idea, to have some shelter from the elements for the people charging and even the chargers themselves. [/s]

I know they are designed to be outside but a bit of cover never done any harm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Is it that hard, really?

I'd say the local power supply isn't up to it in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

liamog wrote: »
    Have to say it's the first time I've heard an indicative timeline of Autumn 2020. Approximately 21 months after the initial post with details of the investment, as semi state programmes of work go it's quite reasonable.
    The article starts with "Let's pretend it is July 29, 2025" . So reference to Autumn could be very well for 2025.

It is either poorly written article, either ecars vision for the next 5 years is very bad.

"We probably have enough of them to cater for demand for the next three-five years. Most people will charge up at home, remember."

If this is the vision of the CEO ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They didn't. Throughout the article, they used kWh incorrectly, where they should have used kW.

It adds to their lack of credibility IMO. If they can't even get the terminology correct......

Thats the independents fault, not ESB. The journalist in question has a bad history when it comes to EV reporting... basically he hasnt a clue about EV's.

Throughout the article Eddie Cunningham got his units wrong, he's a journalist for the Independent. A newspaper who's credibility we probably shouldn't discuss for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's not likely even that it's the paper.
    In the ecars app, kW and kWh are routinely misused

Goldmark wrote: »
    Portlaoise Plaza to open on Friday I think. They might be going to contruct them on that site.

Is that the J17 one, the McDonagh plaza like Galway, Kinnegad etc. He seems very pro EV as they have 2* chargers already at multiple locations

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not likely even that it's the paper.
    In the ecars app, kW and kWh are routinely misused

I've not spotted any examples on my eCars app, charger power is correct, price per kWh, the history tab shows kWh, it's correct on the invoices ...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is that the J17 one, the McDonagh plaza like Galway, Kinnegad etc. He seems very pro EV as they have 2* chargers already at multiple locations

Of course he is, it makes a lot of business sense to have a busy (free or cheap) charger as an incentive for the punters at the place where you sell high margin refreshments to a captive audience.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ah. I thought it was to do with their facebook post. I didn't bother reading the article. Typically anything I read from the independant is not news at all, or I know it already.

• Advertisement

Thats the independents fault, not ESB.

How can you know that? The article uses quotations where kWhs are incorrectly used, as in, direct quotes.
    There's no way you can be sure, unless you were there, or you are in actuality, an ESB employee :P.

In some posters' eyes here, esb can do no wrong, just like Tesla fanboys in some respects.

I, on the other hand, call out failings & shortcomings...............but I also see dead people, so there's that :D.

Regardless of who said what, I'm not impressed by anything I've seen from ECars, thus far. That's unlikely to change, unfortunately.

How can you know that? The article uses quotations where kWhs are incorrectly used, as in, direct quotes.
    There's no way you can be sure, unless you were there, or you are in actuality, an ESB employee :P.

In some posters' eyes here, esb can do no wrong, just like Tesla fanboys in some respects.

I, on the other hand, call out failings & shortcomings...............but I also see dead people, so there's that :D.

Regardless of who said what, I'm not impressed by anything I've seen from ECars, thus far. That's unlikely to change, unfortunately.
    It's most likely to be ESB themselves, considering the same errors are in the app

liamog wrote: »
    I've not spotted any examples on my eCars app, charger power is correct, price per kWh, the history tab shows kWh, it's correct on the invoices ...

There's two phases when selecting a charger.
    Click it the first time and it shows correctly (eg 50kW, 22kW etc) but when you go into the second screen it shows kwh (sic) instead of kW

How can you know that?

Of course I wasnt there but as I pointed out the journalist has form. He has written some dreadful articles in the past.
    The article uses quotations where kWhs are incorrectly used, as in, direct quotes.

The quotes from eCars in the article have no references to kW or kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sweet suffering Christ lads, would yis give over about correcting units!

Goldmark wrote: »
    Is that the J17 one, the McDonagh plaza...

That would make sense alright.

They removed the one unit they had across the road in Midway so a hub in a new MSA nearby would make sense and matches up with the reference to Portlaoise.

I see this article from last year....
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/four-electric-vehicle-rapid-chargers-to-open-at-kinnegad-plaza-1.3910089
    Pat McDonagh, owner of the Supermac’s Group which developed the Kinnegad Plaza, said chargers have already been installed at the Barack Obama Plaza in Moneygall, Co Offaly, and would be retrofitted to the Galway Plaza on the M6 and in Fermoy off the M8. He said they would also be included at plazas at Portlaoise, Longford and Ennis.

So, it looks like there will be chargers in the Portlaoise plaza, whether thats EasyGo or an eCars hub remains to be seen.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Sweet suffering Christ lads, would yis give over about correcting units!

I'm going to charge you in pounds for that post.
    Now, it could be in £ or in lb.

All Units Matter!

I see this article from last year....
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/four-electric-vehicle-rapid-chargers-to-open-at-kinnegad-plaza-1.3910089
    Pat McDonagh, owner of the Supermac’s Group which developed the Kinnegad Plaza, said chargers have already been installed at the Barack Obama Plaza in Moneygall, Co Offaly, and would be retrofitted to the Galway Plaza on the M6 and in Fermoy off the M8. He said they would also be included at plazas at Portlaoise, Longford and Ennis.
    So, it looks like there will be chargers in the Portlaoise plaza, whether thats EasyGo or an eCars hub remains to be seen.

Good to see.
    Ecars mentioned a hub in longford I think, wonder if its that

• Advertisement

There's two phases when selecting a charger.
    Click it the first time and it shows correctly (eg 50kW, 22kW etc) but when you go into the second screen it shows kwh (sic) instead of kW

I see the right units all the way down on the Android app :D

Advertisement