Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

On Tuesday I got 10.3kWh off the 50kW unit in Enfield in 12m 50s.

Today when the Leaf plugged in, I didn’t notice any drop in speed (I guess because I was pulling less than 75kW at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Stopped into Kilcullen today to try out the Super Warp 150kWh charger, and was a little underwhelmed.

Arrived at 40% SoC and plugged in immediately after an eGolf had finished up. Saw an initial spike of about 66kWh but then almost immediately it went down to around 50kWh, and then gradually reduced to about 37kWh by the time I finished up on 82%. A Leaf plugged into the CHAdeMO which had no effect on my rate of charge (which was about 47kWh at that stage), so at least that’s an improvement....

A guy pulled in to use the 50kWh triple head unit in an Ionic just as I was about to finish up, so I gave him the heads up that I was finishing up and to use the faster (& still free) unit instead).

How many km had you driven before commencing charging?

JPA wrote: »
    How many km had you driven before commencing charging?

56 km.

And prior to that, 130km and then the car had a 2 hour rest.

I navigated to it, and the latest Tesla software claims to precondition the battery now for 3rd party chargers....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

56 km.

I navigated to it, and the latest Tesla software claims to precondition the battery now for 3rd party chargers....

Possibly too cold. Hard to say. Weather is not what you'd call warm these days.

25m 40s and I got 20.464kWh

This is what I get in the i3 94ah.

Some charging stats from the ecars app.

26.2 Kwh 26 mins

14.05 Kwh 18 mins

9.2 Kwh 12:56 mins

14.4 Kwh 23 mins

15 Kwh 20 mins

28.56 Kwh 35:57 mins

14.68 Kwh 23 mins

11.94 Kwh 18 mins

13.4 Kwh 17 Mins

Some figures may very due to battery temp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

image.png

Not a single paid Ecars fast charger unit in use. Rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

56 km.

It does, but apparently, only if you select it from the "chargers" menu as opposed to directly entering the address into the nav

ELM327 wrote: »
    It does, but apparently, only if you select it from the "chargers" menu as opposed to directly entering the address into the nav

I must give that a try then.. heading down to Courtown today, so might try one of teh eCars 50kW units on the way back up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

If ever a case for heft overstay fee especially when not charging on the AC units.

Here's one parked in the center of town for 20 hours
    Still there at the time of posting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Laviski wrote:
    If ever a case for heft overstay fee especially when not charging on the AC units.
    Yep. That's coming. Not overstay but time based charge which is much better and clearer.

Most networks have some time based charge in place - there's no other way to prevent such wanker-ism otherwise.

The beloved Maingau has time based charges for both slow and fast chargers as well.

• Advertisement

How is that better, their charge finished yesterday. If no overstay fee they would only pay consumption despite being there for a day.

Cheap city center car park space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Laviski wrote: »
    How is that better, their charge finished yesterday. If no overstay fee they would only pay consumption despite being there for a day.

Overstay fee is a nonsense and it's hard to implement., hard to set (how high it should be?), one size fits nobody.

On the other hand time based per min fees are in place all over Europe and are clear, transparent and linear.

Say they are connected for 15 hours and they charged 30 kWh in the first 4 hours and then blocked it for 10 hours.

Per kWh fee 29c
    Per min fee 10c (from the 4th hour)

Total bill = 30 * 0.29 + 10 * 60 * 0.10 = 68.7 quid

There is 60 extra quid for blocking the charger staying there for 10 extra hours - that should focus the minds!

They would have paid 10 hours of time based charge from the cutoff point when only per kWh charges apply.

Note: 4 hour cutoff point on AC charger when per min charges apply and the fee per min is as per Maingau ;) No one can tell I'm making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Here's one parked in the center of town for 20 hours
    Still there at the time of posting

Love the file name.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Love the file name.

thanks
    since home just put the two pics together.

zL0ugbQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

In Waterford City your car has to be charging to use the space. I’ve regularly seen the traffic wardens giving tickets to cars that have finished charging. This helps prevent situation above. Ecars should have a per minute charge once your car has finished. Unfortunately the only way people learn is to hit them in the pocket.

Cant tell if an i3 is charging or not and I’m sure other cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Does a light or the screen on the unit itself indicate if it's actively charging or not? I've not actually used an ESB 22kW unit yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    In Waterford City your car has to be charging to use the space. I’ve regularly seen the traffic wardens giving tickets to cars that have finished charging. This helps prevent situation above. Ecars should have a per minute charge once your car has finished. Unfortunately the only way people learn is to hit them in the pocket.

There was a Leaf in Ballybricken yesterday plugged in since 7.00 am and was fully charged for so long at 1pm that the app was saying one space available.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Does a light or the screen on the unit itself indicate if it's actively charging or not? I've not actually used an ESB 22kW unit yet.

The i3 shows no charging indication.

I know the old 22 Kw chargers used to change colour when a car was plugged in but can't remember if that changed if the car has finished charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

ei9go wrote: »
    There was a Leaf in Ballybricken yesterday plugged in since 7.00 am and was fully charged for so long at 1pm that the app was saying one space available.

I know the charger on Parnell street and in miller marsh car park are regularly checked by the traffic wardens. I’ve witnessed tickets being given.

• Advertisement

Everyone making sure they get as much of the last of the free juice as possible......

The spiders will be delighted from Monday onwards.....

on these old esb units, its obvious when car is not charging, as it cycles through the display, it will say "plug B" cycle to "charging" cycle to "units given"

When "plug a" came around display was blank between saying plug A and units.

It’s simple. A 3 hour usage (connection) limit on the on street AC22 units should be introduced. If anyone needs more charge, they should be encouraged to use fast chargers.

Exceptions would be for the 7kW units located at train stations and park and ride facilities.

Probably will be an irrelevant conversation from tomorrow onwards anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

They will still be nice handy parking spots for PHEVs with 10kWh packs. €3.00 to park for the day and f*** every else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its pretty much F*** every one else all the time, be it Phev or BEV, it will at least remove the people too mean to pay.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://www.plugshare.com/location/250409

St Candices Car park in Kilkenny has been removed from the ESB app after being marked for replacement.

Checked this morning and the app was still showing the AC’s as free, but looking again now the charges are there!

And remarkably enough someone’s been using my local Tesco one for the last 2+ hours.... I wonder if they plugged in then the app still said it was free....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Checked this morning and the app was still showing the AC’s as free, but looking again now the charges are there!

And remarkably enough someone’s been using my local Tesco one for the last 2+ hours.... I wonder if they plugged in then the app still said it was free....

I wonder if they plugged in before the charges kicked in and will they get a free session because it started before they had to pay

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I have never seen the map so green on a working Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,027 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

in reality this should be a good thing, the economic viability of their infastructure will now be easily reviewed and this should push them to install more income generating (i.e. fast chargers) units.

Advertisement