Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ELM327 wrote: »
    at a fast charger (HPC) most Tesla would be 30 mins to 80-85%, I'd pay for destination charging as a premium over having to stop!

I paid 30c/kWh for destination charging at a hotel in Cavan where we were at a convention rather than having to stop en route home

Cavan... a real hub for EV owners. :rolleyes:

Circle K / Topaz Service Station, Clonshaugh Road, Cloghran, Dublin 17 must have a fault.

ESB map says "Session started at: 10:35:53 AM" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Circle K / Topaz Service Station, Clonshaugh Road, Cloghran, Dublin 17 must have a fault.

ESB map says "Session started at: 10:35:53 AM" :eek:

Maybe a Leaf rapidgating. !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    Whats your point? I'm not saying eCars wont do the same, Im just saying its much more complex and if they can get 2x50kW in to a site quickly we shouldnt shout that down.

My point is that Tesla and Ionity have put in numerous 250kW and 350kW chargers already. Not costing any of us a cent.

ESB, given millions of our money (What for? To feed more into their hefty civil service level pensions?) haven't installed a single >50kW charger yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

unkel wrote: »
    My point is that Tesla and Ionity have put in numerous 250kW and 350kW chargers already. Not costing any of us a cent.

ESB, given millions of our money (What for? To feed more into their hefty civil service level pensions?) haven't installed a single >50kW charger yet :rolleyes:

To be fair, ESB have built out a national network of chargers. Tesla and Ionity have built a very small number of sites.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    To be fair, ESB have built out a national network of chargers. Tesla and Ionity have built a very small number of sites.

Yes they did with taxpayers money.

There is simply no excuse for installing 50 kw chargers today.

So what the ESB are doing is charging us per kWh and will only install 50 kw chargers because to them they get the same money whether we charge at 1 kw or 200 kw it’s a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes they did with taxpayers money.

Which they lost money on, so lets not get carried away with that one. It was a pilot project, not a commercial project.

There is simply no excuse for installing 50 kw chargers today.

Why?
    You think 50kW installs should never again happen?
    Strange.

We need lots and lots of 50kW installs as well as HPC's. Its not one or the other.
    So what the ESB are doing is charging us per kWh and will only install 50 kw chargers because to them they get the same money whether we charge at 1 kw or 200 kw it’s a joke.

No, you'll be paying more per kWh for the HPC's so be careful what you ask for! ;)

People need to stay calm. The HPC's will come.

I will agree that eCars are dragging their feet though. They need to hurry it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

markpb wrote: »
    Olso Airport has nearly the same number of chargers as the ESB ""national" network.

https://avinor.no/en/airport/oslo-airport/parking/electric-cars/

After 9 months of EV ownership I was content with the ESB network. I use it, and even though it is not ideal I discount the odd times when I go to a charger and is in use or I get disconnected. I managed 23k km mostly on the public charging. Last week I drove through Austria and I've been stunned. On the motorway banks of 135kW and 50kW and 22 kW covered, albeit the 135 kW@€. 9 pe kWh, hotels with 22kW DC. Every touristic point we have visited had banks of chargers. We rented in a guest house in a village high up and their petrol station had a 50kW triple and their corner shop had a 2x22 AC. Some were not even on plugshare.
    I thought they have to be rich to get all of these. Turns out that Austria has a smaller GDP approx 0.6 of IE and deficit more than 4 times. There must be something magic in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Does charging for charging seems to have stopped the freeloading?

Just looking at the new map/app and almost all CCS free. There used to be the few usual suspects that were in permanent use. Anyone use the network much, any noticable improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Freeloading has stopped for sure. Hogging to some extent. Slow speed PHEV's (3.6kW) disappeared from AC43. Since NOV18th I saw just one Outlander pulling beside me.
    We still need to educate ourselves regarding the charging time. There is still charger (lack of) anxiety and people are charging at lower speeds (>80%) just to be sure they reach the next next charger. This month is the first whole month bill, although being December is not representative. People will realize that is expensive time wise to charge at 11kW sitting in the car.
    Unfortunately, the title of the thread was not followed by eCars and the expansion didn't happen this year. Maybe next year. Meantime Happy New Year!

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    Freeloading has stopped for sure. Hogging to some extent. Slow speed PHEV's (3.6kW) disappeared from AC43. Since NOV18th I saw just one Outlander pulling beside me.
    We still need to educate ourselves regarding the charging time. There is still charger (lack of) anxiety and people are charging at lower speeds (>80%) just to be sure they reach the next next charger. This month is the first whole month bill, although being December is not representative. People will realize that is expensive time wise to charge at 11kW sitting in the car.
    Unfortunately, the title of the thread was not followed by eCars and the expansion didn't happen this year. Maybe next year. Meantime Happy New Year!

Sounds like we need a new thread

Is that
    C5HD3 - Mayfield J14

If so, there's apparently supply issues with the site, similar to the Obama Plaza.
    Rumors of Ionity and/or an ecars hub going in there in the future too so that will be interesting.

Probably more to do with low battery temp.

Sure more 50 Kw chargers would be great, that's after a flood of 150+ Kw chargers are installed first along motorways.

One of the issues I have with changing to new EV and getting rid of the i3 Rex would be lack of +50 Kw infrastructure because I want to be able to charge at a standard fit for 2020+ and not 2009. The Rex gives me 100% independence of the network should I need it.

New 50 Kw chargers is just not impressive if Tesla/Ionity have been installing 150 Kw chargers for some time.

It appears the ESB are giving the 2 fingers to EV drivers.

Happy new year to all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Probably more to do with low battery temp.

I wouldn’t think so, I had driven 110kms and it was 10 degrees out.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I wouldn’t think so, I had driven 110kms and it was 10 degrees out.

the battery would have to be around 20-25 degrees C to allow max charge current. Driving 110 Kms doesn't mean the battery was warm enough but 25 Kw does sound a bit low.

the battery would have to be around 20-25 degrees C to allow max charge current. Driving 110 Kms doesn't mean the battery was warm enough but 25 Kw does sound a bit low.

I was in Galway today - getting around this week, getting more adventurous with the eGolf too!!

Left home with a full charge, 200kms GOM, and drove motorway the whole way down, used the heater on and off on the way down which preserved range.

Anyway, done all my driving around the city and needed a charge just in case to get home so called into the new chargers in the Galway plaza. Thankfully working perfect and 41kW charging speed. Was the same last time I used the FCP outside Athlone so was definitely up with the ones on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Goldmark

I think there is a big cost delta between 50kW and "HPC" - or >50kW - chargers.
    If the choice is 2 50kW units or one 150-350kW, I think 2 slower units is better for now. At least you're getting some juice. Ecars seem to agree, as theyve installed 2 new 2*50kW locations recently.

Galway Plaza and where was the other double installed?

Goldmark wrote: »
    Galway Plaza and where was the other double installed?

Kilcullen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

innrain wrote: »

I've noticed in my local large town (Navan - where we go for things that are not in the local shops) that the SCPs are now hogged all day everyday by locals. This is changed from before, when they used to all use the FCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I've noticed in my local large town (Navan - where we go for things that are not in the local shops) that the SCPs are now hogged all day everyday by locals. This is changed from before, when they used to all use the FCP.

Some form of payment for SCPs to make home charging the more attractive option is needed asap.Hopefully ecars move on this soon.

• Advertisement

Some form of payment for SCPs to make home charging the more attractive option is needed asap.Hopefully ecars move on this soon.

I agree, it doesnt have to make home charging the "more attractive" option, just price the SCPs at day rate electricity and no one will bother unless they need to.

I agree, it doesnt have to make home charging the "more attractive" option, just price the SCPs at day rate electricity and no one will bother unless they need to.

I’d say even if they charged the same as night rate electricity it would get rid of the freeloaders. I only use a SCP if I’m stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I’d say even if they charged the same as night rate electricity it would get rid of the freeloaders. I only use a SCP if I’m stuck.

I doubt it. Its surprising how many EV owners don't bother with night rate, and those who are happy to ditch their car at a public charger for hours as a primary charging source definitely won't.

So night rate wouldn't put them off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I doubt it. Its surprising how many EV owners don't bother with night rate, and those who are happy to ditch their car at a public charger for hours as a primary charging source definitely won't.

To me that seems madness! EV is the perfect thing for night rate.

Ive been working on a spreadsheet to compare who to switch to next, currently on a 21% bord gais offer, but thats up at the end of Jan

Can easily play with the figures, but for simplicity i'll just stick with BG as an example.

Assuming a 4400 kwh/yr and then add 2700 kwh for a car (15000km @18kwh/100km)

If the car only used the night rate ie house took zero power during the night,
    there will be a 103.30 euro saving/year

Break even point is 1515 kwh.

If 10% of the yearly units are moved to the night rate the break even point is 1100kwh.

Glowpower seem to be the cheapest for electricity at the minute (well for rural nightsaver anyway) Slightly more expensive unit rates but standing charge is cheaper.

DrPhilG wrote: »

+1
    Has to be day rate
    graememk wrote: »
    To me that seems madness! EV is the perfect thing for night rate.

Ive been working on a spreadsheet to compare who to switch to next, currently on a 21% bord gais offer, but thats up at the end of Jan

Can easily play with the figures, but for simplicity i'll just stick with BG as an example.

Assuming a 4400 kwh/yr and then add 2700 kwh for a car (15000km @18kwh/100km)

If the car only used the night rate ie house took zero power during the night,
    there will be a 103.30 euro saving/year

Break even point is 1515 kwh.

If 10% of the yearly units are moved to the night rate the break even point is 1100kwh.

Glowpower seem to be the cheapest for electricity at the minute (well for rural nightsaver anyway) Slightly more expensive unit rates but standing charge is cheaper.
    You've already done more than a lot of people.
    Buying an EV, people resort to "free charge seekers".
    I know. Because I do it too. The difference is, I have a home charger and night rate.

But we're all opportunists, and take a free/cheaper charge when it's available.

For me, night rate was cheaper, before even having an EV - if you time things like washer, dryer, dishwasher etc you already save money. Before the EV, we were 2:1 Night:Day usage. Now it's 3:1. If I had no work charger, filling my car every night with 60-80kWh would push me to >5:1

I can't wait to have 60+ Kwh EV, with Free Work charging I will have a good 35 Kw to drive on when I'm off shift, should give me 2-4 days driving, school runs etc.

+ when a V2G option becomes available I could power the house a good bit. But I hope not to be in my current job for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I can't wait to have 60+ Kwh EV, with Free Work charging I will have a good 35 Kw to drive on when I'm off shift, should give me 2-4 days driving, school runs etc.

+ when a V2G option becomes available I could power the house a good bit. But I hope not to be in my current job for much longer.

And what will you do if your next employer has no charge points! You're free electricity plan to power your house is out the window.... better look for a pay rise!

KCross wrote: »
    And what will you do if your next employer has no charge points! You're free electricity plan to power your house is out the window.... better look for a pay rise!

Yep quite true but Imagine paying for petrol or diesel ? so still won't break the bank.

Yes I'm taking advantage of that. Unfortunately when you're getting 250-260 wh/km, that 80 odd kWh doesnt last so long as you'd expect!

• Advertisement

Yes I'm taking advantage of that. Unfortunately when you're getting 250-260 wh/km, that 80 odd kWh doesnt last so long as you'd expect!

Better than having 29 usable Kwh :D

Advertisement