Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nice!!! Great to hear it!

If you have any info about how to query the ESB backend that'd be great. I wouldn't mind playing around with some scripts myself to get a better idea of the usage

It's trivial really. Just open developer tools in your browser, network tab, persist log, click on a charge point and see the API calls. Clicking into the points themselves gives calls to return their specific charger data

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did ESB confirm that the 150’s will be priced higher though?

I guess the most important thing (with the 50’s & 150’s) is the ability to retrofit them with whatever they need to be (CCS or CHAdeMO) in future.....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I guess the most important thing (with the 50’s & 150’s) is the ability to retrofit them with whatever they need to be (CCS or CHAdeMO) in future.....

Yes I totally agree. IMO the 150’s should not have a chademo point especially if there’s a 50 rig right beside it such as the one in Co.Kildare.

Did ESB confirm that the 150’s will be priced higher though?

Didn't confirm it, but also hinted that they're free until a pricing structure can be defined. Be shameful if they went ionity direction, given they're easily knocked down to 75kW if a leaf plugs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

digiman wrote: »
    Just x-posting this from the model 3 thread, as it's very applicable here:

What kind of efficiency are people getting from their Model 3 when charging?

I was using the ESB high speed charger today and the charger was showing that it was sending 68kWh but the car was only receiving 60kwH, battery was at about 70% at the time but earlier when it started and was around 50% it was still losing around 10-15%.

Also, Galway city has a real lack of chargers. On the way from Dublin I stopped at Galway Plaza to try and get topped up as I could see there were no chargers in Salthill and not very many around the city either.

There is 3 parking spots there for the 2 ESB chargers (high speed has 2 spaces and fast has one space), someone was using the Chademo on the fast charger and a Kona was just after starting to use the CCS on the high speed. I had parked into the empty space beside the Kona at the high speed and we had a quick chat and she was going to be 30mins so I decided to just go to Galway as I had enough and didn't want to wait.

Let's say that I was going to wait for the Kona to finish, what's the etiquette here on how you queue up to be next in line to get the CCS? My thoughts were:

If I park in the spot not using the charger I can't really leave the car as I'm blocking someone using the Chademo on the high speed.
    There were no actual spaces nearby where I could park so would have had to go to other end of car-park and another car could come in and just assume they are next in line for it.

Also, frustrating that the person using the fast chademo couldn't be on the high speed chademo so I could at least use the fast CCS. It's a really poorly laid out and with the length of the charging cables you don't have much scope for where you can park either.

Think of all the polar bears your saving,:D:D:D. Your lucky you had the range to continue on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with this. Chargers at every petrol station are to make the transition easy for people. The UK brought in a rule that any new station or major renovation requires a rapid charger to be installed.

I think it's more of a signage and communication issue. The reason people know where petrol stations are is because they're hard to miss. If we had decent signage for charging stations then there'd be no problem finding them

I agree it makes sense to have charging hubs in motorway service stations, but for off the main routes they could be located in shopping areas or places within walking distance of a town center. The smaller service stations are generally not terribly well equipped, so something like a shopping center would be a nicer option

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Also, frustrating that the person using the fast chademo couldn't be on the high speed chademo so I could at least use the fast CCS. It's a really poorly laid out and with the length of the charging cables you don't have much scope for where you can park either.

you could politely ask them to change charger. Maybe they didn't know the other one is free. Opening with that might have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

innrain wrote: »
    you could politely ask them to change charger. Maybe they didn't know the other one is free. Opening with that might have helped.

There was nobody in the car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Didnt realise the ESB High Power Chargers are free to use at the moment. Pulled in and used the 50kW charger beside it. Only cost 3 euro but still!

Dempsey wrote: »
    Didnt realise the ESB High Power Chargers are free to use at the moment. Pulled in and used the 50kW charger beside it. Only cost 3 euro but still!

I can not get the 150 Kw for some free juice at Kilcullen, since they installed I've never seen both chargers free.

Funny enough, there was a ENiro at it last Friday when I was in Camile getting my Thai take-a-way, the amount of people queuing for Mac D was funny, the camile is so much nicer, anyway, the Leaf could have charged alongside the E-Niro because if I needed to charge I couldn't because there's only 1 CCS, now imagine I asked the Leaf owner to plug in to the 150 Kw and use the ChaDeMo plug, it would take me 10 mins to explain.

So potentially, you could charge 3 EV there in Kilcullen but because of ignorance, stupidity whatever you want to call it only 2 cars could charge Friday when I was there.

It just gets more frustrating as time goes on. Bloody different charging standards, we shouldn't be installing new ChaDeMo chargers and it's as simple as that.

Really, I think I'd be mad getting rid of the REx, maybe in 5 years time but I said that when I got the Leaf 2015, "in 5 years"

• Advertisement

Had to tip into town today so I said i'd get some "free" parking while sipping juice at the minimum rate of change in the Ioniq. ECars map said the charge point was in use, but only 1 port... and the other port showed green. :confused::confused:

A whiley Leaf was using the cheaper than "minimum rate of charge" by just plugging in and not charging.

Just to note, all of the other 5 slow charger ports were in use, so usage hasn't dropped off entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

There was nobody in the car!!
    That's a bummer.
    For this reason I believe plugshare is a good app. And before one tells me you don't use any app when going to petrol stations I say that I used to use pumps.ie app.
    So easy to let one know their charging stopped or left their window opened. My issue with plugshare is the lack of live status for the chargers. Only if more people would use it.

Just to note, all of the other 5 slow charger ports were in use, so usage hasn't dropped off entirely.

I've noticed the AC in my local Tesco is quite busy the last 2 weeks, so I assume there were just a lot of folks out there that never bothered to get a charger installed at home (not so many apartments out my way, so home charging definitely an option for most out here if they chose).

I can imagine home charger installers will be quite busy the next few weeks/months as folk realise they can save almost 66% by charging at home...

A whiley Leaf was using the cheaper than "minimum rate of charge" by just plugging in and not charging.

Could their charge just have stopped/completed? and in that situation, will the charger status change from blue to green?

I saw this in Bray 2 weeks ago, a van and a PHEV plugged in, but the app said both sides were available...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Could their charge just have stopped/completed? and in that situation, will the charger status change from blue to green?

I saw this in Bray 2 weeks ago, a van and a PHEV plugged in, but the app said both sides were available...

I think if the charge stops, the charger shows as not available on the app until the car is unplugged.

I think if the charge stops, the charger shows as not available on the app until the car is unplugged.

So they just plugged in, and either walked away without starting the charge, or for whatever reason the charge didn't start to begin with (for this reason, I always check that the charge has started before walking away).

This would explain what I saw in Bray 2 weeks ago (plugging in and not charging simply for the parking space) as parking was very much at a premium as it was a sunny day...

This is where enforcement needs to be on the ball, with perhaps increased fines for blocking what is a vital resource which is in short supply. (I can't imagine petrol stations would be too happy with you parking at one of their pumps and going to the beach for the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, it shows as available if somoene is plugged in but not charging as they are finished. This has been an annoyance for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

So they just plugged in, and either walked away without starting the charge, or for whatever reason the charge didn't start to begin with (for this reason, I always check that the charge has started before walking away).

This would explain what I saw in Bray 2 weeks ago (plugging in and not charging simply for the parking space) as parking was very much at a premium as it was a sunny day...

This is where enforcement needs to be on the ball, with perhaps increased fines for blocking what is a vital resource which is in short supply. (I can't imagine petrol stations would be too happy with you parking at one of their pumps and going to the beach for the day).

Indeed, not too happy at all, especially if you only put a couple of litres in and then leave.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »
    No, it shows as available if somoene is plugged in but not charging as they are finished. This has been an annoyance for some time.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe it's a charger model specific thing, but I've definitely seen chargers marked as unavailable when the car has finished a charge and not unplugged.

What about the instances where you see chargers on the app as unavailable and have been occupied for more than 24 hours. Are you saying that they're still taking a charge?

We'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe it's a charger model specific thing, but I've definitely seen chargers marked as unavailable when the car has finished a charge and not unplugged.

What about the instances where you see chargers on the app as unavailable and have been occupied for more than 24 hours. Are you saying that they're still taking a charge?
    I've seen both things happen.
    Same as some chargers you can unplug a car that's finished charging and others you cannot. Suspect the usual ecars hodge podge to blame

• Advertisement

Castlebellingham Northbound, Driving from Dublin to Belfast, this is the only eCars motorway services charger between Lusk and the border with Northern Ireland.... (75km) (the Southbound one is the same).

524257.png

Would they not even install an AC22 here beside the triple head in the immediate short term (until they install a Warp Speed 150kW unit), so at least some folk could get something while waiting for the Triple head to become available....? (Especially now that Ionity are trying to price themselves out of the market)

Imagine arriving here, and a Leaf is using the Chademo (or Ioniq/eGolf/ID.3 using the CCS), and a Zoe is using the AC43...... At least with an AC22 you could get something while waiting, or better still, park up for an hour or more while going into the restaurants etc....

It's been "coming soon" since I had my leaf in 2016. Same as other spots like Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

pulled in there the other day on the way home from carlingford. thank **** for the Tesla Superchargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Castlebellingham Northbound, Driving from Dublin to Belfast, this is the only eCars motorway services charger between Lusk and the border with Northern Ireland.... (75km) (the Southbound one is the same).

Would they not even install an AC22 here beside the triple head in the immediate short term (until they install a Warp Speed 150kW unit), so at least some folk could get something while waiting for the Triple head to become available....? (Especially now that Ionity are trying to price themselves out of the market)

Imagine arriving here, and a Leaf is using the Chademo (or Ioniq using the CCS), and a Zoe is using the AC43...... At least with an AC22 you could get something while waiting, or better still, park up for an hour or more while going into the restaurants etc....

That charger is EXTREMELY flaky too (as is the Castlebellingham Southbound one). I have no idea why these are so neglected, I would have thought this would be a very busy route, but maybe not?

There's the Ionity at CityNorth too, but the facilities there are much, much smaller than the Applegreen stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

524257.png

Would they not even install an AC22 here beside the triple head

They removed perfectly good charging posts and replaced them with this pipe that says new charger coming soon. On many if them now they are heavily faded as they have been there for 2+ years. Yes they could install 22kW AC x 2 there tomorrow. They might need to upgrade the supply or buy a new unit specifically for that site, but it would at least give a backup option. They could take away one charger from a town with 3 or 4.

They should have did this the day they removed the old charger. Why not?! It shows the lack of real planning and knowledge and care for the network. It would cost relatively little. Hopefully another 50+kW charger will appear in next 5 to 10 years, but people said that 5 years ago.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    pulled in there the other day on the way home from carlingford. thank **** for the Tesla Superchargers.
    Agree. another example of why you'd be mad to buy a non tesla EV

zg3409 wrote: »
    they could install 22kW AC x 2 there tomorrow. They might need to upgrade the supply or buy a new unit specifically for that site, but it would at least give a backup option. They could take away one charger from a town with 3 or 4.

Even install one of the old AC22's they upgraded with the newer units, surely they have a load of them lying around now.. put them in these locations (like above), and start earning money from them.... Even if they only sold 100kW a week from an AC22, thats €1,352 per year!!

copeyhagen wrote: »

You'd be fairly pi$$ed off pulling in there in your €100k Porsche/Jaguar/Audi, and having to wait 45 minutes (or longer) to get a desperately needed charge, and while you were waiting, seeing 3-4 Teslas arriving/charging/leaving, with capacity for even more should more arrive in that time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

You'd be fairly pi$$ed off pulling in there in your €100k Porsche/Jaguar/Audi, and having to wait 45 minutes (or longer) to get a desperately needed charge, and while you were waiting, seeing 3-4 Teslas arriving/charging/leaving, with capacity for even more should more arrive in that time...

there was 4 teslas including myself using the superchargers, good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree. another example of why you'd be mad to buy a non tesla EV

Meh, I've done this route a tonne (family up near Belfast) and I can do South Dublin to Belfast easily on a single charge.

If you can't do it on a single charge, there's fast chargers at Lusk, CityNorth, this one, Banbridge, Sprucefield, and Boucher Road.

There's plenty of places to get a charge, so that's not really the problem. Why I'd love to see a second charger at Castlebellingham Northbound is that it's one of the few of those locations that is great for a longer stop (perfect if you're travelling with a 4 year old) and it's ****e wasting that long stop on a place you can't charge.

Advertisement