Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

All those chargers are single point of failure, or screw you on the price (citynorth)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Castlebellingham Northbound, Driving from Dublin to Belfast, this is the only eCars motorway services charger between Lusk and the border with Northern Ireland.... (75km) (the Southbound one is the same).

524257.png

Would they not even install an AC22 here beside the triple head in the immediate short term (until they install a Warp Speed 150kW unit), so at least some folk could get something while waiting for the Triple head to become available....? (Especially now that Ionity are trying to price themselves out of the market)

Imagine arriving here, and a Leaf is using the Chademo (or Ioniq/eGolf/ID.3 using the CCS), and a Zoe is using the AC43...... At least with an AC22 you could get something while waiting, or better still, park up for an hour or more while going into the restaurants etc....

Yeah that's my main DC charger for heading North, gotten stuck waiting for another car about 50% of the time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Just make garage owners install chargers funded by the oil companies.
    That's what Germany did I believe. Legal requirement for petrol stations to install chargers. Irish government could do it tomorrow as well. The question is why they don't.

I'd say either mandate it for 24/7 petrol stations or based on the revenue for starters. Obviously not practical to ask Murphy's garage somewhere in rural Cavan in the middle of nowhere to install chargers tomorrow.
    There's more than 1 charger company now and more than one access method with charger locations on different apps etc it's all becoming a mess and a turn off.
    Ha ha ha, you think that's a mess? In fact there's only 2 operators in Ireland - Ecars and easyGo. And Ionity but that's only 4 sites. So let's say 2.5 operators.

Other countries with healthier markets (where private operators have easier entry) have several/many operators, that's a real mess...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGiver wrote: »
    Other countries with healthier markets (where private operators have easier entry) have several/many operators, that's a real mess...

Applegreen and CircleK have both indicated that they want to enter the charging market and have complained to the government about how difficult it is to get ESB networks to hook them up.
    I've not heard any rumours about Maxol yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

This is where enforcement needs to be on the ball, with perhaps increased fines for blocking what is a vital resource which is in short supply.

Since I discovered I can park for free, once plugged in (confirmed somewhere when I asked about free parking in Bray), I usually take my PHEV now.

I changed the resistor in my Type 2 cable - that bitch now sits all day pulling just 500 watts & I can initiate my AC remotely using the app too, for when it gets nearly charged.
    With the heating on at full blast & the windows "venting", it can easily burn off 2kWh, in no time.

It's actually a better incentive than the measley 50% off tolls to be honest - prime city centre parking for many, many hours, five days a week is bloody expensive :eek:.
    It'd be great if they put in more of those on street chargers alright, free parking for the win :D.

If anyone wants me to convert their Type 2 cables to avail of free or almost free city parking.............I've a box of resistors here.........just state your desired charge rate. Say 500 watts for a small battery PHEV, or 3kW for a Leaf etc.

......I may or may not be serious........I'm not sure........turning it down "to a trickle" is a contentious philosophy at the moment..... .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

... and take up a charging space for the day while your at it. What a nice guy.

Irishjg wrote: »
    ... and take up a charging space for the day while your at it. What a nice guy.

Are you thanking me for the tip or what?
    You're welcome :D.

liamog wrote:
    Applegreen and CircleK have both indicated that they want to enter the charging market and have complained to the government about how difficult it is to get ESB networks to hook them up. I've not heard any rumours about Maxol yet.
    Once that happens we'll have 4 operators. Until then only 2...

And yes the gov need to adopt legislation to make charger installation easy. That's Essential. Along with incentives for charger installation for all types of entities (public/government/local authority, private, business, cooperative). Aand also mandating them (for petrol stations - not done, malls - not done, car parks - not done, estates - done but badly, train/bus hubs - not done, government agencies - not done).

And yes the gov need to adopt legislation to make charger installation easy. That's Essential.

Which government? Our government?
    Have you seen the news recently?

We're doomed :D.

I can actually see Eamon getting us all back into diesels again, when he wakes up :pac:.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ha ha ha, you think that's a mess? In fact there's only 2 operators in Ireland - Ecars and easyGo. And Ionity but that's only 4 sites. So let's say 2.5 operators.

There’s more, Chargepoint, Podpoint, Polar and Clenergy to start it off, very little by way of penetration though.
    Don’t forget Tesla

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭zg3409

Kramer wrote: »
    avail of free or almost free city parking

Note if you don't pay for parking in Dublin city you will be clamped. In cork city its 4 hours Max free parking.

In Bray all day parking is around 3 euro on north seafront car park. Not much savings really.

In Bray once you stop charging you will get a ticket, I know you have that covered. You modified a 100 euro+ cable so it no longer effectively charges the car to avoid 3 euro? It seems more a challenge and idiotic than a great idea. Many cars can reduce charge rate, no soldering irons nor resistors needed. I don't see the need for free parking, particularly if it causes unnecessary parking at chargers which is a big issue at railway station car parks. There you just need to be plugged in for free parking, again typically saving 3 euro.

liamog wrote: »
    Applegreen and CircleK have both indicated that they want to enter the charging market and have complained to the government about how difficult it is to get ESB networks to hook them up.
    I've not heard any rumours about Maxol yet.

True, but you have to wonder as to the nature of the difficulties. Are ESB dragging their heels or are the garages trying to negotiate a massive discount or waiting for government grants?

I feel there's a bit more to it than the ESB shrugging their shoulders and saying "don't wanna"

Since I discovered I can park for free, once plugged in (confirmed somewhere when I asked about free parking in Bray), I usually take my PHEV now.

I changed the resistor in my Type 2 cable - that bitch now sits all day pulling just 500 watts & I can initiate my AC remotely using the app too, for when it gets nearly charged.
    With the heating on at full blast & the windows "venting", it can easily burn off 2kWh, in no time.

It's actually a better incentive than the measley 50% off tolls to be honest - prime city centre parking for many, many hours, five days a week is bloody expensive :eek:.
    It'd be great if they put in more of those on street chargers alright, free parking for the win :D.

If anyone wants me to convert their Type 2 cables to avail of free or almost free city parking.............I've a box of resistors here.........just state your desired charge rate. Say 500 watts for a small battery PHEV, or 3kW for a Leaf etc.

......I may or may not be serious........I'm not sure........turning it down "to a trickle" is a contentious philosophy at the moment..... .
    Parking is not free while charging in DCC

I can actually see Eamon getting us all back into diesels again, when he wakes up :pac:.

There's certainly a whole lot of nothing going on :rolleyes:

Apparently the Climate Action Bill is to be published in October just before the budget. Since the government has no money, I'm guessing it'll be severely watered down and just a load of "ambitions" and "goals"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Stay classy Kramer.

Didn't follow news for a while. What news? Are we all going to cycle? :cool:

Not that cycling is bad, I'm fully for cycling infrastructure and support but as an addition to a) removal of ICEs from the road and replacement by EVs and b) proper public transport. EVs must be part of the equation.

Sure the fools want to bring down the motorway speed limit to help stop Climate Change you couldn't make the sh1t up if you tried.

Then I heard the other day they want to introduce what did they call it , multiple speed limits ? so lets say the N7 is 100 Km/hr they will probably reduce this to 60 km/hr at peak time and bring it up to 100 off peak but what they should do is leave it at 100 and bring it up to 120 off peak, the N7 is more than suitable for 120 Km/hr off peak or even the recent peak with a lot less traffic.

On the other motorways they should be increased to 140 Km/hr, a more sensible limit for roads that are half empty most of the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Then I heard the other day they want to introduce what did they call it , multiple speed limits ? so lets say the N7 is 100 Km/hr they will probably reduce this to 60 km/hr at peak time and bring it up to 100 off peak but what they should do is leave it at 100 and bring it up to 120 off peak, the N7 is more than suitable for 120 Km/hr off peak or even the recent peak with a lot less traffic.

You mean they want us follow well-researched, internationally used methods for managing congestion on busy roads? The fiends!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

markpb wrote: »
    You mean they want us follow well-researched, internationally used methods for managing congestion on busy roads? The fiends!

But it doesn't suit ME!

No it’s just about more control they couldn’t give a sh1t about congestion if they did they’d provide proper public Infrastructure, create more jobs outside of Dublin and build sustainably and build proper high rise not poxy estates were 3 and 4 or more people are renting a room in a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

No it’s just about more control they couldn’t give a sh1t about congestion if they did they’d provide proper public Infrastructure, create more jobs outside of Dublin and build sustainably and build proper high rise not poxy estates were 3 and 4 or more people are renting a room in a house.

Are you blaming the Green Party who have only been in government for the last few weeks for our lack of long term infrastructure investment and housing policy? Even if they sat down today and agreed that we need all that, we still need short term measures to keep the existing infrastructure working. Variable speed limits are part of that.

Didn't follow news for a while. What news? Are we all going to cycle? :cool:

Not that cycling is bad, I'm fully for cycling infrastructure and support but as an addition to a) removal of ICEs from the road and replacement by EVs and b) proper public transport. EVs must be part of the equation.

I'm all for cycling but I think there needs to be a bit of acceptance that bikes don't work for everyone.

Developing public transport is essential, especially in rural areas where it doesn't exist these days. I suspect you won't get many switching over from cars in the short term though as people are probably worried about catching covid

Sure the fools want to bring down the motorway speed limit to help stop Climate Change you couldn't make the sh1t up if you tried.

On the other motorways they should be increased to 140 Km/hr, a more sensible limit for roads that are half empty most of the time anyway.

The limit on the N7 should be brought down for safety reasons, it's like a Mad Max film at the best of times.

Are you blaming the Green Party who have only been in government for the last few weeks for our lack of long term infrastructure investment and housing policy? Even if they sat down today and agreed that we need all that, we still need short term measures to keep the existing infrastructure working. Variable speed limits are part of that.

Haha pro Government!

I'm blaming Government, simple as. Bu the Greens can take credit for hugely increasing Diesel cars causing much more pollution, pretty much anything they come up with is BS.

I've seen these variable speed limits in Germany and it didn't do much to reduce traffic queues.

Too much traffic on the main routes, not now of course and if a lot of People can work from home from now on that can only be a good thing for traffic and it's certainly good for me who actually has to drive.

If the Greens actually came up with something positive such highlighting the importance of correct tyre pressure which would account for much greater emissions reductions than slowing traffic down on Motorways.

Another good one, plant real forest.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Variable speed limits actually work.

I've quite a bit of experience with them on the M25 London circular motorway. They keep the flow going so there are no traffic waves (stop and go) and generally, this get's more vehicles through. It has it's limits of course. Any disruption, like a crash, and all bets are off.

Bikes and buses etc are irrelevant. You can't do any regular long trips , like my usual 120km round trip commute, without a car.
    Like it or not, cars are here to stay.

Ah yes, the old 120km commute that every sane person does...

MJohnston wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old 120km commute that every sane person does...
    60km each way.

For the substantial population of the GDA that works in Dublin it's not unusual at all.

ELM327 wrote: »
    60km each way.

For the substantial population of the GDA that works in Dublin it's not unusual at all.

It's four times the 2016 national average commute distance, so I'd call it very unusual!

• Advertisement

Tell that to the chockablock M/N7, M/N3, M4,M11 etc into dublin every morning and out every evening.

Advertisement