Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Weird response—those roads definitely start a lot closer than 60km away from Dublin (also the congestion just points to the sheer inefficiency of private cars as a method of getting people into and out of a city).

On the N7 and probably M50 the volume of traffic is bumper to bumper from the Big ball to Newlands cross and into the city, the volume of traffic is too high because most people have no other form of transport. Variable speed limits are useless for this level of traffic.

If this were to work then you'd need a 50 Km/hr limit from Carlow to Dublin, Newbridge etc.

Naas doesn't even have a rail link ffs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

On the N7 and probably M50 the volume of traffic is bumper to bumper from the Big ball to Newlands cross and into the city, the volume of traffic is too high because most people have no other form of transport. Variable speed limits are useless for this level of traffic.

If this were to work then you'd need a 50 Km/hr limit from Carlow to Dublin, Newbridge etc.

Naas doesn't even have a rail link ffs.

That's exactly when variable speed limits work well. Of course it wouldn't work here, because they wouldn't enforce it, so the net effect would be increasing the difference in traffic speeds. Some people would try and weave around doing 120km/h.

liamog wrote: »
    That's exactly when variable speed limits work well. Of course it wouldn't work here, because they wouldn't enforce it, so the net effect would be increasing the difference in traffic speeds. Some people would try and weave around doing 120km/h.

It wouldn't work here because you'd have to drive at 50 Km/hr from many miles away from Dublin, the volume is just too high, though as I said earlier, if the majority of people can keep working from home it should greatly relieve congestion.

If we made People drive in the left lane it would help a lot too, those who want to drive at 60-100 Km/hr on a motorway in the middle lane should be fined, it's beyond a joke. There should be mandatory training on Motorways, how to merge, i.e not at 60 Km/hr and how to keep to the left lane and use the middle and right lane to over take, ffs it's hard coming home as it is with much reduced traffic on the N7/M7 with People blocking the right hand lane at 80-100 Km/hr.

Then we have the People who want to text while driving, this really annoys me because I've had to sit in so many traffic jams on the N7 due to crashes, the last time being last Friday Evening a 3 car pileup and it's probably because of People glued to their mobiles.....

It's always everybody else causing traffic :rolleyes:

I thought EV drivers would be more enlightened ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It wouldn't work here because you'd have to drive at 50 Km/hr from many miles away from Dublin, the volume is just too high, though as I said earlier, if the majority of people can keep working from home it should greatly relieve congestion.

Once again Irish exceptionalism raises it's head. Variable speed limits work by regulating the flow of traffic, overall capacity can be increased by reducing the speed to a steady 60km/h instead of the 40km/h to 80km/h ping pong that happens during congestion. We don't need an Irish solution to a common problem, when we can see it works in other jurisdictions.

I do agree with you on the training (and enforcement) for keeping left, 3 lane motorways are an absolute joke here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

MJohnston wrote: »
    Weird response—those roads definitely start a lot closer than 60km away from Dublin (also the congestion just points to the sheer inefficiency of private cars as a method of getting people into and out of a city).

Yes it starts 30km or so out.

Most of the traffic is coming from further away than where it congests though.

liamog wrote: »

Variable speed limits would be great. I'd prefer to be doing a constant 50 or 60 than 120-0-120

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes it starts 30km or so out.

Most of the traffic is coming from further away than where it congests though.

It's still a tiny percentage of the overall amount of people commuting in the GDA though. In fact, less than 3% of workers have to commute over 50km in the entire country.

Again, it gets congested because cars are an inefficient commuting method.

It's still a tiny percentage of the overall amount of people commuting in the GDA though. In fact, less than 3% of workers have to commute over 50km in the entire country.

Again, it gets congested because cars are an inefficient commuting method.
    Grand, Eamonn, we'll all plant hanging baskets and cycle to work so.

Grand, Eamonn, we'll all plant hanging baskets and cycle to work so.

You know how I know you're a Tesla owner ;)

• Advertisement

You know how I know you're a Tesla owner ;)
    Because I'm a knob (which is hardly a secret!) , or because you work with me?!

Because I'm a knob (which is hardly a secret!) , or because you work with me?!

I just have this theory that Tesla owners are the least likely to have bought an EV because of the environmental benefits ;)

Tesla is my 3rd EV, but you're right, it's certainly not for the environmental benefits, couldnt give a crap about that, my benefit is always cost.

I just have this theory that Tesla owners are the least likely to have bought an EV because of the environmental benefits ;)

I can confirm that 100% of the e-Up! owners in Ireland did not buy an EV for environmental benefits. We win!

I seriously doubt anyone buys a car with environmental reasons taken into consideration but I do think 23% VAT on an electric car is a joke along with out public charging infrastructure to bring this back on topic lol.

I seriously doubt anyone buys a car with environmental reasons taken into consideration but I do think 23% VAT on an electric car is a joke along with out public charging infrastructure to bring this back on topic lol.

I definitely bought my i3 with environmental reasons in mind, although there were plenty of other reasons too.

Why is regular VAT on an electric car a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was wondering how long this tangent would last :D

So anyway, Phil Hogan, should he have driven an EV? :p

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I don't think there's an EV on Earth with the range that Phil Hogan would have needed for his travels and subsequent travails.

I definitely bought my i3 with environmental reasons in mind, although there were plenty of other reasons too.

Why is regular VAT on an electric car a joke?

Yeah I'd like to believe I got my Leaf for partly environmental reasons. I realise that I'd be doing more good cycling or taking the bus but with young kids I needed something that's weatherproof and reliable, so I did what I could in those requirements.

If we're talking VAT I'd prefer if they went after VAT on solar panels and inverters, if they dropped those down to the builders VAT rate then suddenly they'd be a lot more affordable

I don't think there's an EV on Earth with the range that Phil Hogan would have needed for his travels and subsequent travails.

He certainly gets around, especially since those HSE rules don't apply to him.

Maybe he should be forced to drive around in a Renault Twizy, then he'd be less tempted to go to golf society events in Galway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I was wondering how long this tangent would last :D

So anyway, Phil Hogan, should he have driven an EV? :p

One if his advisors in a VW EV broke lockdown, bought a cable off Kramer and hogged the 22kW in Clifden for two days charging at 500W.

#eGolfgate

One if his advisors in a VW EV broke lockdown, bought a cable off Kramer and hogged the 22kW in Clifden for two days charging at 500W.

#eGolfgate

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Lest there be any confusion, as per the Citizens' Information website, a government funded website remember, I follow all guidelines, I am negative & do not breach any restrictions.

There is no restriction to charging a BEV or PHEV at 500 watts.

As Big Phil would say, if anyone says differently, I do not accept that :D.
    Kramer wrote: »
    If anyone wants me to convert their Type 2 cables to avail of free or almost free city parking.............I've a box of resistors here.........just state your desired charge rate. Say 500 watts for a small battery PHEV, or 3kW for a Leaf etc.

......I may or may not be serious........I'm not sure........turning it down "to a trickle" is a contentious philosophy at the moment..... .

Just to clarify, I abhor charger hoggers & PHEVs plugged in to publicly funded charge points. My post was in response to the new trend of unnecessarily charging at AC charge points, because it works out cheaper than paying for parking.

It's apparent that many posters didn't see the last line of my post.......

Anyway, no one will know if a Tesla owner has restricted his charge rate to a trickle on an AC charge point, to game the system for free/cheaper/prime parking. Don't think it isn't happening - it's been spoken about openly & the only way to combat it is by either offering BEVs free, on-street parking anywhere, or implementing parking charges everywhere, whether charging or not.

Next ye'll be giving out to me for not wearing a mask :p:D.

So any news on these new "hubs" ECars have promised?

Yeah I'd like to believe I got my Leaf for partly environmental reasons. I realise that I'd be doing more good cycling or taking the bus but with young kids I needed something that's weatherproof and reliable, so I did what I could in those requirements.

If we're talking VAT I'd prefer if they went after VAT on solar panels and inverters, if they dropped those down to the builders VAT rate then suddenly they'd be a lot more affordable

Grants and vat reductions only benefit the installers through over inflated prices.

I'd love to be on the bike more but live in the sticks and I wouldn't allow my Boys anywhere near dangerous back roads with speeding cars, seriously, the speed on back roads with blind bends is out of control, I like to have fun myself on back roads but I know when to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Hey all

I've tried using my charge card twice at a regular charger over the past couple of days where the charge started & stopped immediately.

Is this more of the charging for charging rolling out, or do I have a problem with my card?

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

daheff wrote: »
    Hey all

I've tried using my charge card twice at a regular charger over the past couple of days where the charge started & stopped immediately.

Is this more of the charging for charging rolling out, or do I have a problem with my card?

Tia

Ring ESB customer care and see whats not working correctly?
    01 258 3799

Hey all

Tia

Dunno if it's related but I had an issue at the DC charger in Applegreen Cullenmore where the charge stopped immediately after starting. Unplugging and plugging in again fixed the issue though so I'm guessing it was a communication issue with the car

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

#eGolfgate

That charger has been broken for months!!!:p:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Tried to use the ClenergyEV charge point in Roscommon Tuesday night, but no way could i get the app to work. I had just enough to get home, consumption was high with the wind and rain but as we were going to Supermacs I said the few extra kms of charge would let me drive at normal speed home. The app had me logged out and no way would it accept my log in details. Tried creating a new account and it kept saying password's didn't match.:mad::mad:
    Gave up and went into Athlone and home with a few kms left, about an hour after i got home i got a notification that there was an update to the app and i can log in again now. Very frustrating and glad I wasn't stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hey all

Tia

Nothing wrong card end, seen this myself many times over the years, inconsistent faulty unit is the issue.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement