Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved generator talk to random EV thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭daheff

daheff wrote: »
    Hey all

I've tried using my charge card twice at a regular charger over the past couple of days where the charge started & stopped immediately.

Is this more of the charging for charging rolling out, or do I have a problem with my card?

Tia
    slave1 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong card end, seen this myself many times over the years, inconsistent faulty unit is the issue.

So this is my bad. I thought I'd registered my card, but apparently not. They brought in charging for slow chargers a couple of weeks ago, and because my card wasn't assigned to a plan it was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

So I blew the grid fuse, apparently.....CCS, on a new 150kW charger from ECars.

2uRLbJH.jpg

I'm OK..........I didn't get electrocuted, thank God........still, the grid fuse feeding upwards of 250kWs............must have been some trip :eek:.

Lesson learned - don't try to run a Russell Hobbs kettle directly off a CCS plug, it's not worth it.

:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    So I blew the grid fuse, apparently.....CCS, on a new 150kW charger from ECars.

2uRLbJH.jpg

I'm OK..........I didn't get electrocuted, thank God........still, the grid fuse feeding upwards of 250kWs............must have been some trip :eek:.

Lesson learned - don't try to run a Russell Hobbs kettle directly off a CCS plug, it's not worth it.

:D.

ESB must've read about your dodgy charging cables and decided to get rid of you pulp fiction style :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Main Street Dundrum dropped off the map yesterday and no sign of it back yet. It is/was one of the old crappy style slow chargers, so hopefully they're just replacing it, though usually that doesn't mean it disappearing from the map.

Tesco Edenderry has been added though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The on-street parking in Dundrum Village has been turned into a cycle lane, so it may be related to that.

EgcGWBkXYAEKCGN?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

I live around a corner from a fast charge point.

Since the ESB started charging, I have seen two cars there. 2 mins from Motorway exit too.

liamog wrote: »
    The on-street parking in Dundrum Village has been turned into a cycle lane, so it may be related to that.

EgcGWBkXYAEKCGN?format=jpg&name=large

Can't both exist in harmony?
    LA leading the charge (no pun intended)

118504033_10219206230172206_7430873364561244629_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=fIhRShqIQasAX_Y8FIS&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=29e3b3907a4da94304e22d2b2301c9cf&oe=5F728D65

Butson wrote: »
    I live around a corner from a fast charge point.

Since the ESB started charging, I have seen two cars there. 2 mins from Motorway exit too.

How often do you look? :D

TBF, the charging for fast chargers was mostly welcomed, and does what it needed to; gives those who need fast charging an available place to do so.

That's a weird looking cycle lane. Looks more like just a wider path.

• Advertisement

That's a weird looking cycle lane. Looks more like just a wider path.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1300117739302981632

Totally off topic, but do they ever consider how they'll clean/sweep those bike lanes? Always look great when they're first installed, but dirt, debris, leaves, branches etc build up, and the road sweepers can't get in because of the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Is Tesco Drogheda new? I don't see it on plugshare and on ecars is offline TEV012

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Totally off topic, but do they ever consider how they'll clean/sweep those bike lanes? Always look great when they're first installed, but dirt, debris, leaves, branches etc build up, and the road sweepers can't get in because of the kerb.

I think there's gaps where a street sweeper could get in, question is would it fit along the path

Tbh, it's like the red carpet cycle paths, they looked nice when they're installed, but after a couple of years they'd completely gone to a shambles.

I wish they'd factor in maintenance when deciding on infrastructure rather than just throw it in and forget about it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi. The ‘overstay fee’ - does this apply to the 7 and 22 kw chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi. The ‘overstay fee’ - does this apply to the 7 and 22 kw chargers?
    No, only to the 43-50kW "fast" chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭obi604

ELM327 wrote: »
    No, only to the 43-50kW "fast" chargers.

And 150kW :)
    Or are these still free and no overcharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

obi604 wrote: »
    And 150kW :)
    Or are these still free and no overcharge.
    They are free now, but will be payable soon I think.

ELM327 wrote: »
    They are free now, but will be payable soon I think.

They are free that's why I've yet to see the 150 Kw available at Kilcullen, Oh except the time I stopped in on my way to the Airport when I had the Outlander, then it was free. lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They are free that's why I've yet to see the 150 Kw available at Kilcullen, Oh except the time I stopped in on my way to the Airport when I had the Outlander, then it was free. lol

I've used it twice without issue (granted both times were midweek)

1st time an eGolf was using it when I arrived, I parked up beside him and he immediately unplugged and let me have it (he was a local)
    2nd time it was unused.

• Advertisement

Marina Car Park, Off Strand Street, Dingle, Kerry marked for replacement today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

So when do we think the other 150 kW shiny chargers are coming? :) So far it's 2. Is this going to be the Ecars pace? Install 2 chargers and then nothing for months...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

McGiver wrote: »
    So when do we think the other 150 kW shiny chargers are coming? :) So far it's 2. Is this going to be the Ecars pace? Install 2 chargers and then nothing for months...

Is one of them still limited to 50kW? I'm not sure I'd count it if it is :)

That's the way it's going to be, maybe one or two every 6 months or more lol

It took them from 2015 until the end of 2019 to install new DC, I think Kilcullen was the first DC installed since 2015 when I got the Leaf lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

They seemed to be rushing up to that point to justify or prevent backlash at introducing fees on AC chargers. I don't consider this a hub, a real hub would need planning permission and need 3+ 50kW + chargers.

I've seen ionity charge bays ICED loads of times in Kill North. It's a pity they don't put the EV chargers up with the Petrol/Diesel pumps so at least People have shelter from the p1ssing rain, why should EV owners not have the same luxury ?

There should be more EV charge points than Petrol pumps at each new garage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've seen ionity charge bays ICED loads of times in Kill North. It's a pity they don't put the EV chargers up with the Petrol/Diesel pumps so at least People have shelter from the p1ssing rain, why should EV owners not have the same luxury ?

There should be more EV charge points than Petrol pumps at each new garage.

Agreed, but financials just don't justify that private sector investment.
    Chicken and Egg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Agreed, but financials just don't justify that private sector investment.
    Chicken and Egg

I suppose they'll do it when it's too late and the queues for chargers gets mental altogether and the garages start loosing customers, I wonder though at what point they will actually start replacing Diesel pumps for EV chargers ? when they are almost out of business form lack of customers or possibly when there is a law forcing them ? lol I know petrol and diesel will be there a long time so I'm guessing they have at least 10-possibly 20 years unless there's a massive uptake in EV which in Ireland is unlikely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Something like this in the future (except other places already have it today.....)
    Back in 2018 Tesla were installing 50 stall stations

Tesla-Supercharger-Lounge-Solar-Carport.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Something like this in the future (except other places already have it today.....)

Tesla-Supercharger-Lounge-Solar-Carport.jpg

Holy sh1t lol yeah, amazing, the way it should be, this would be what we need at motorways. And shelter from the rain. I've never seen a charger in Ireland that has shelter.

Advertisement