Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Spotted this today. Interesting.
    2020-10-13 13:50:30

Circle K - Topaz Service Station, Clonshaugh Road, Cloghran, Dublin 17	 
    RESERVED	
    FAST

The Clonshaugh Road fast charger was marked as Reserved. It was reserved (~10 minutes), then unavailable (~5 minutes), then available(~5 minutes), then charging for the last hour (just released now).

PAUSED is another status i've seen on SCP. Bishops Quay, Kent station, and WIT. Dunno what that really means.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Spotted this today. Interesting.
    2020-10-13 13:50:30

Circle K - Topaz Service Station, Clonshaugh Road, Cloghran, Dublin 17	 
    RESERVED	
    FAST

The Clonshaugh Road fast charger was marked as Reserved. It was reserved (~10 minutes), then unavailable (~5 minutes), then available(~5 minutes), then charging for the last hour (just released now).

Whats that for?? do "The Beautiful People" get to reserve the fast chargers for their own personal use???

Whats that for?? do "The Beautiful People" get to reserve the fast chargers for their own personal use???

I seen it as part of the driivz API, but it's not available via the app etc. Perhaps testing it? Hard to say, i've only been scraping this data a day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

markpb wrote: »
    In terms of creating a “fast” charging network, 44kW is better than 20kW (which few cars can avail of anyway) so it’s definitely an upgrade for lots of people.

Why wouldn’t you count the 150kW charge points? They’re definitely a step forward.

Oh yeah they're but in mathematical terms or meaningful numbers not really. it's negligible. Because they are 3, or to spell it out THREE of them. That's approaching zero, in mathematical terms. Not worth mentioning when you talk stats.

How many AC22 to DC conversions have been made?

So we're talking 3 + say 10 ~ 15 DC units in a last two years or something?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

McGiver wrote: »
    Oh yeah they're but in mathematical terms or meaningful numbers not really. it's negligible. Because they are 3, or to spell it out THREE of them. That's approaching zero, in mathematical terms. Not worth mentioning when you talk stats.

If you're a CCS user, it's much more than that, they replaced all the CHAdeMO only units too. The network is much better now for CCS than we first got our Ioniq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Oh yeah they're but in mathematical terms or meaningful numbers not really. it's negligible. Because they are 3, or to spell it out THREE of them. That's approaching zero, in mathematical terms. Not worth mentioning when you talk stats

It’s disappointing, I’m not trying to suggest it’s not but IMHO, eCars have gone about this completely backwards for a very long time. It would have taken a relatively small number of sites with a few 50kW and 150kW charge points to create a proper intercity network. Once you have that, the vast majority of people can make cross-country trips without fear. Then you fill in the national secondary routes and after that you can look at adding 20kW charge points in all the towns, airports, ports, etc. The three HPCPs are a decent start to that.

liamog wrote: »
    If you're a CCS user, it's much more than that, they replaced all the CHAdeMO only units too. The network is much better now for CCS than we first got our Ioniq.

Do you have the numbers? I'm not interested in some subjective feelings here.

So is it 15 DC (CCS) units added in last 3 years? From 100 to 115 or so?

So is it 15 DC (CCS) units added in last 3 years? From 100 to 115 or so?

Awkward timing to mention Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells just came online?

The CCS port on the triple unit throwing a fault might balance things out though. Fixed it seems

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've never really tracked the numbers, I know 5 of the chargers in Dublin were upgraded to CCS, maybe someone else did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I've never really tracked the numbers, I know 5 of the chargers in Dublin were upgraded to CCS, maybe someone else did.

There were two Chademo only rapid chargers between Rosslare port and Wexford town. Both were replaced with triple head units. I don't know where this would be recorded though.

I'm not aware of any Chademo only unit's left in Ireland, other than in dealer settings. They are certainly still around in the UK public charging network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Awkward timing to mention Park Ri Service Station, Cavan Road, Townparks, Kells just came online?

The CCS port on the triple unit throwing a fault might balance things out though. Fixed it seems

I'd call that perfect timing :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There were two Chademo only rapid chargers between Rosslare port and Wexford town. Both were replaced with triple head units. I don't know where this would be recorded though.

I'm not aware of any Chademo only unit's left in Ireland, other than in dealer settings. They are certainly still around in the UK public charging network.
    There's still a few.
    Especially up north and in the south/southwest

I remember when the Ioniq first came out, people would recommend avoiding it as their weren't as many CCS chargers.

And that was somewhat true then.
    For sure not true now. Even Ionity is not too expensive to use with an Ioniq because it's such a small battery and so efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

I'm not aware of any Chademo only unit's left in Ireland, other than in dealer settings. They are certainly still around in the UK public charging network.[/QUOTE]

there's the unit in Carrick on Shannon that is still (showing as) Chademo and type 2.

i've said this before but it's crazy there's no CCS chargers there, a tourist destination in itself, a jumping off point for the NW and not currently bypassed by the N4.

there's the unit in Carrick on Shannon that is still (showing as) Chademo and type 2.
    i've said this before but it's crazy there's no CCS chargers there, a tourist destination in itself, a jumping off point for the NW and not currently bypassed by the N4.

Carrick is earmarked for one of the 150kW units isn't it? I wonder will they make it a 'hub' and put a 50kW triple head beside it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Attached is a snapshot of the charging location May 2019 I downloaded when I was playing with the cpinfo script. If one can parse properly this file (kml) we can find out what's the progress in the last 18 months

I did a raw search all for "Combo DC" and got 143 hits, "CHAdeMO" 101, Fast AC 139

Strange I was expecting CHAdeMo to be more than CCS

this is all island and 3rd parties included

You are probably picking up the style markers :) the #Own tag is for chargers in eCars network (not eCars NI)

#Own_CHAdeMO* = 64
    #Own_ComboCCS* = 61
    #Own_FastAC43* = 60

I can see your data show's a number of the already upgraded units, I think it was early 2019 they started rolling out the replacement units, they also replaced the DBT units with Efacec which were limited to about 100A with the Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I remember when the Ioniq first came out, people would recommend avoiding it as their weren't as many CCS chargers.

I don't remember that at all, quite the opposite. For a Dublin owner, going to west Waterford / east Cork was tricky as well as going to parts of Donegal. As the maximum distance between Dublin and a CCS charger in those directions was 170km. Doable and in fact I did it (with a fully loaded car, with plenty range to spare). Any other journey to anywhere else in the country had far smaller distances between CCS chargers.

Back in 2017 there were so few EVs that you almost never had to wait for a fast charge (outside of Dublin) even though charging was free. Obviously if any of the DC chargers were broken, you'd be fukced. And the chargers were extremely slow (max 50kW). Here we are nearly 4 years later, the rest of the world has moved on towards electrificiation and here we are in Ireland with the public ESB fast chargers are still extremely slow (max 50kW) apart from, what is it 2 or 3 faster chargers? :rolleyes:

quite low numbers. Something is not right. I'll look this evening at the ruby script to parse the file locally.

• Advertisement

innrain wrote: »
    quite low numbers. Something is not right. I'll look this evening at the ruby script to parse the file locally.

I think the only thing not right is how sparse the charging network is in Ireland :D

That applies to the whole Wild Atlantic Way. Essentially all of it. it's doable only in Tesla but even in Tesla I think you'd struggle without excursions inland.

innrain wrote: »
    Attached is a snapshot of the charging location May 2019 I downloaded when I was playing with the cpinfo script. If one can parse properly this file (kml) we can find out what's the progress in the last 18 months

I did a raw search all for "Combo DC" and got 143 hits, "CHAdeMO" 101, Fast AC 139

Strange I was expecting CHAdeMo to be more than CCS

this is all island and 3rd parties included
    I can do. Do we have a latest KML for comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That applies to the whole Wild Atlantic Way. Essentially all of it. it's doable only in Tesla but even in Tesla I think you'd struggle without excursions inland.

Hold on a second — it's also totally doable if you're not completely insane and don't try to do the whole thing in one day.

I want the CCS network to expand as much as anyone, but let's not create red herrings about the existing situation.

I can do. Do we have a latest KML for comparison?
    KML route is discontinued now. That was before the driivz outsource.
    The last one is February 2020 (http://esb.ie/electric-cars/kml/charging-locations.kml)

Right now I get on a browser:
    CHAdeMO = 97 ecars (108 with 3rd party)
    CCS = 85 ecars (87 with 3rd party)
    Fast AC = 76 ecars (78 with 3rd party)

the chademo includes the nissan dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Just checking out the route on ZapMap. I'd be happy to give it a shot using only rapid chargers. Even allowing for a couple of non-working units, it's totally doable in a Kiundai Koniro. :p

Sure, you'd have to work in a couple of unnecessary inland diversions to charge, but that wouldn't put me off. You might struggle a bit with an SR+, but the LR Model 3 would be easy enough.

"The Wild Atlantic Way route which is over 1600 miles long (2600 km) is divided into 14 stages for easier orientation."

from here
    No car can do that without refuelling

You might struggle a bit with an SR+, but the LR Model 3 would be easy enough.

More than enough Tesla destination charging along the route that would it make it easily doable in an SR+. Granted you'd only pull 7-11kWh AC, but still, a few lunch/dinner stops along the route would give you enough buffer to make it to a DC charger...

529252.png

But that's a route eCars should be looking at alright, especially with more and more EV rentals coming on stream, and if tourism ever gets back to normal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is the sticky thread on boards.ie that captures newest chargers.
    I have been steadily adding chargers to plugshare app.

In terms of new sites, never having an ESB charger before the only quantity additions are Tesco AC, but Gorey motorway services opened the whole stop a while ago (March 2019) with a new site with charger + Ionity.
    Park Ri in kells is a new site with 150 + 50kW chargers, never existed before. Portlaoise motorway services new service station got 150kW +50kW with power limit July 2020. It was very close to site that had chargers removed (midway)

Some sites got an extra 44DC/50kW like Dublin port. A good few 22kWAC -> 44kW DC. These are very useful in places with limited DC such as Waterford, Drogheda, and other towns or cities with only one or zero DC chargers

I would prefer more 40+kW DC chargers at existing 50kW sites, rather than new sites with single charger and single point of failure. We should also record total network outages. ESB have had at least 2, ionity more but charger seem to go free vend.

In terms of chademo, no CCS sites, there is lots up North, some on Dublin Sligo route.

It does seem ESB don't want new sites (beside motorway services) or are not pushing for that, instead trying to make use of existing sites. It may be down to cost. I don't think new sites are necessarily needed for National routes.

They did fix/replace dozens of AC units and replace a good few DC units.

Advertisement