Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

eCars today opened a brand new site in Kells. Co. Meath.

1x 150kW unit and 1x 50kW triple head, all capable of charging 4 cars at once...

So what’s wrong with the below photo?

529255.jpeg

...and you gotta love teh eCars parking.... keep her between the lines eh???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

1x 150kW unit and 1x 50kW triple head, all capable of charging 4 cars at once...

529255.jpeg
    Only one CCS plug on the hpc?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The car has an illegal registration plate :D:D

How about 4 cars being able to charge simultaneously, yet there being only 3 spaces........

HUB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

...and you gotta love teh eCars parking.... keep her between the lines eh???

I presume the space just to the right of frame isn't reserved as an EV spot?

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    I presume the space just to the right of frame isn't reserved as an EV spot?

Surely if it was, it'd be hatched on the edge like all the other spaces, and the placement of the triple head says it's to serve that space and that space only.....

maybe a Zoe (or other front & centre AC car) could get in and use the AC43 if another car was using the Chademo/CCS on the triple head...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Surely if it was, it'd be hatched on the edge like all the other spaces, and the placement of the triple head says it's to serve that space and that space only.....

maybe a Zoe (or other front & centre AC car) could get in and use the AC43 if another car was using the Chademo/CCS on the triple head...

I reckon a car with a rear-driver-side charging port could use the AC43 too, maybe even the CCS/Chademo. But if that fourth space is not EV reserved...

But yeah, that's a disaster of small planning choices. They could probably solve it with a repainting of the lines, because IMO the hatching is only needed between every other space, instead of every space.

Remove the hatching between the 2nd and 3rd spaces, shift the 3rd and 4th spaces over, and add hatching between 3rd and 4th spaces (somewhat aligned with the charger).

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

MJohnston wrote: »
    I reckon a car with a rear-driver-side charging port could use the AC43 too, maybe even the CCS/Chademo. But if that fourth space is not EV reserved...

I reckon I'd just drive my Ioniq straight into the bay to the right of the triple unit and up onto the foot path. Needs must, and ecars stupidity is not going to be my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I reckon I'd just drive my Ioniq straight into the bay to the right of the triple unit and up onto the foot path. Needs must, and ecars stupidity is not going to be my problem.

When charging was free & locals routinely dumped their Leafs (:P), chargers were often inaccessible for rear charging port cars, like the Ioniq.

As you say, needs must....

nZgCdgW.jpg

Stats I'm pulling suggest the NI units are busiest these days (skewed with lockdown though)

Number of hours a charge point has been in use today:
    IMG-20201014-205308.jpg
    png image small

Lots of occupied (not charging but plugged in) cars in NI today

IMG-20201014-205651.jpg

• Advertisement

Lots of occupied (not charging but plugged in) cars in NI today

Before charging & when cpinfo was working, I kept an eye on an SCP which always seemed to have the same Leaf parked & connected.

At one stage, the owner parked up on a Friday evening (after work) & only unplugged 17 days later, after returning from their 2 week foreign holiday :eek:.

City centre location, flat dweller, free parking when connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    When charging was free & locals routinely dumped their Leafs (:P), chargers were often inaccessible for rear charging port cars, like the Ioniq.

nZgCdgW.jpg

I heard a great saying from Bjorn Nyland

"There's no such thing as bad parking at chargers, just badly placed chargers"

Seriously why do they bother marking out the spaces? Just makes ICE cars think it's okay to park there. Hatch the whole area like a yellow box and let the EV drivers figure it out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Stats I'm pulling suggest the NI units are busiest these days (skewed with lockdown though)

I've noticed there's a few Leaf taxis that seem to do the airport to Dublin run, they were using the charger there a lot back when it was free, I guess they're doing the same still.

Before charging & when cpinfo was working, I kept an eye on an SCP which always seemed to have the same Leaf parked & connected.

At one stage, the owner parked up on a Friday evening (after work) & only unplugged 17 days later, after returning from their 2 week foreign holiday :eek:.

Hey, we can criticise, but we'd probably all do it given the opportunity :D

Hey, we can criticise, but we'd probably all do it given the opportunity :D

It was selfish & a big f you, to other EV drivers, who could well have been in need of a charge. We all, collectively, paid for that charge point.

But yeah, make sh1t free here & it will be abused :).

Top 4 used scp today are in NI. One plugged in (either charging or occupied) 17 hours in Belfast. Most used paid for unit is cork country hall, and Cork Copley Street. Around 8 hours of use today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Top 4 used scp today are in NI. One plugged in (either charging or occupied) 17 hours in Belfast. Most used paid for unit is cork country hall, and Cork Copley Street. Around 8 hours of use today.

Little Victoria street in Belfast?

graememk wrote: »
    Little Victoria street in Belfast?

Didn't spot it, but until I do a bit more digging and refactoring of the code, slow chargers are a bit more difficult to categorise. They'll have a status of AVAILABLE so long as 1 port is not in use. The double head 150kW units will be the same story, so I might have to query per head type to get around that. It would allow me to get stats on the AC43 units too, see how in demand they are.

Right now in terms of SCP I'm really just capturing what SCP are full. Useful though. If a SCP is always full then that's an indicator that that area requires more SCPs. Similar story with FCP, though they're easier to query against.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

nZgCdgW.jpg

I've had to do that to charge our Model S, no choice as cables way too short

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Now pulling stats on CHAdeMO vs CCS usage. Neck and neck so far this morning. Might be more CSS cars coming online, but who needs/uses the network more?

• Advertisement

Now pulling stats on CHAdeMO vs CCS usage. Neck and neck so far this morning. Might be more CSS cars coming online, but who needs/uses the network more?
    Interesting.
    I'd say there's more chademo usage as most CCS cars are newer and have more range.

Also, with my S, I always use Chademo at the 50kW point instead of ccs.

Oh, also pulling AC43 usage too, for the 7 who used it today. :p

I'll do a big reveal next week on who fast charge point(s) were not used in 7 days, and what was the most used (NI obviously, but more interesting to see what paid fast charge point was most used).

Didn't spot it, but until I do a bit more digging and refactoring of the code, slow chargers are a bit more difficult to categorise. They'll have a status of AVAILABLE so long as 1 port is not in use. The double head 150kW units will be the same story, so I might have to query per head type to get around that. It would allow me to get stats on the AC43 units too, see how in demand they are.

Right now in terms of SCP I'm really just capturing what SCP are full. Useful though. If a SCP is always full then that's an indicator that that area requires more SCPs. Similar story with FCP, though they're easier to query against.

Only guessed the little victoria street car park, as really its the only carpark with a charge point close to belfast city centre (other than the tesla destination in castle court), Seen it last xmas when going to the ulster hall, Had an EV ordered but didnt have it at the time, so was more aware of charge points

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I see from eCars presentation in the 2020 EV summit they say that the 2 charger locations where they have 150kW and 50kW units is a hub.

They say they have 4 hubs so far and 3 cars can charge simultaneously.

M3 - Park Ri
    M6 - Galway Plaza
    M7/M8 - Portlaoise Plaza
    M9 - Kilcullen

https://public-e73b2a.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ESB+eCars+EVSummit2020+Niall+Hogan.pdf

Ugh. They are so annoying. 2 units is not a god damn hub.
    Are two people a crowd?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Are two people a crowd?

If they are from 2 separate households, yep :D

Although seriously, 4? separate units at least might be a hub,

Hell our local Co Op that has its self service diesel has 3 pumps, and then 1 for kerosene and another for green diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ELM327 wrote: »
    Are two people a crowd?

I thought they had said a hub was where 4-8 could charge. These hubs can charge 3 together so they are falling short there but I presume they have the ability and ground works to expand these sites when they become busy.

I've only been to one of them and there was space to add more chargers so hopefully they will expand if the figures show its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

KCross wrote: »
    I see from eCars presentation in the 2020 EV summit they say that the 2 charger locations where they have 150kW and 50kW units is a hub.

They say they have 4 hubs so far and 3 cars can charge simultaneously.

M3 - Park Ri
    M6 - Galway Plaza
    M7/M8 - Portlaoise Plaza
    M9 - Kilcullen

https://public-e73b2a.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ESB+eCars+EVSummit2020+Niall+Hogan.pdf

Technically, 4 cars could charge there if the parking layout wasn't designed by a retarded high-school undergraduate.

Triple head - AC43
    Triple head - CCS or Chademo 50
    150 charge - CCS 75
    150 charger - Chademo 75

98% fast charger availability. Thought that was 99% last time.

#progress

New fast charging options for Galway (clifden?), Mayo (?) and Kerry (Kenmare?). They'll be the slower end ones i'm sure. 40kW.

• Advertisement

I'll do a big reveal next week on who fast charge point(s) were not used in 7 days, and what was the most used......interesting to see what paid fast charge point was most used).

Most unused, I nominate:

C59B6
    Circle K -Topaz Service Station, Sexton Street North, Thomondgate, Limerick City.

I've seen it in use maybe twice, in the last few months :eek:.

Advertisement