Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

ELM327 wrote: »
    It wouldnt be due to a 62.5kW limitation now would it?
    :pac::pac:

Understand that but the charge point doesn't have to provide the 150kw/250kw etc.etc. (whoops have I opened a can of worms there!)

If ionity was providing a service for "electric cars" and not specific manufacturers then a head for chademo would of been included.

France did the right thing - infrastructure for all.#
    Now in saying that I took my leaf to france last year and there's a bit to go on infrastructure (and I'm being nice saying it that way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,916 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Understand that but the charge point doesn't have to provide the 150kw/250kw etc.etc. (whoops have I opened a can of worms there!)

If ionity was providing a service for "electric cars" and not specific manufacturers then a head for chademo would of been included.

France did the right thing - infrastructure for all.#
    Now in saying that I took my leaf to france last year and there's a bit to go on infrastructure (and I'm being nice saying it that way!)
    Ionity provide 1 50kW triple header in france per site due to the law.

Chademo is on the way out in europe as only one model of car (albeit the joint highest seller last year in Ireland) is using the standard. Everything else is on CCS. Some (like my S) use both!

Chademo is on the way out in europe as only one model of car (albeit the joint highest seller last year in Ireland) is using the standard. Everything else is on CCS. Some (like my S) use both!

Yep I'm slightly off with a chademo head being mandatory, as you say its one triple head per site. Still I'll take it!

Question - is the chademo adapter still working after the ccs adapter update to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Ecars did get the network for free but they did also originally built it and manage it and are providing the service for everybody regardless the charging standard. But imagine if a CCS only provider had submitted the highest bid and then decommissoned the CHAdeMO chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Who knows, will be interesting to see how things pan out. The future of CHAdeMO in Ireland very much depends on what Nissan decide to do with a potential Leaf V3.0 or replacement. My guess is across Europe at least, Nissan will opt to go CCS like everyone else and stick with CHAdeMO in Asia.

Irishjg wrote: »
    Who knows, will be interesting to see how things pan out. The future of CHAdeMO in Ireland very much depends on what Nissan decide to do with a potential Leaf V3.0 or replacement. My guess is across Europe at least, Nissan will opt to go CCS like everyone else and stick with CHAdeMO in Asia.

Haha they really haven't got Leaf 2 out yet, sure they call it the "2" but it's not, it's really only a facelift and that's what they should have called it, it's certainly not 2nd generation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very poor value for our tax payers money to invest in brand new chargers that support a charging system that was obsolete many years ago, is only used by one car and not even support by its manufacturer any more. We should stop that.

Up to the Nissan customers with those obsolete chargers, to get Nissan to provide them with an adapter or a retrofit, so they can use CCS like everybody else. Tesla did both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Getting rid of Chademo would avoid them having to fix that bug with the chargers where it cuts off the CCS charger too. My wife was ready to get into scraps with some arsehole who willfully cut her charging off yesterday. Thankfully, said arsehole forgot to dismiss the screen on the charger, so my wife was able to press stop and restart hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

unkel wrote: »
    Very poor value for our tax payers money to invest in brand new chargers that support a charging system that was obsolete many years ago, is only used by one car and not even support by its manufacturer any more. We should stop that.

Up to the Nissan customers with those obsolete chargers, to get Nissan to provide them with an adapter or a retrofit, so they can use CCS like everybody else. Tesla did both of those.

Considering adding a ChaDeMo socket to a charger is a miniscule percentage of the cost of the charger itself. I'm not sure why you advocate excluding the majority of Irish EV owners from charging infrastructure. ChaDeMo users pay the same fees to ecars as CCS users. Now the situation will change over the years when practically every manufacturer will only use CCS. But for now obsolete ChaDeMo is king in Ireland.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Getting rid of Chademo would avoid them having to fix that bug with the chargers where it cuts off the CCS charger too. My wife was ready to get into scraps with some arsehole who willfully cut her charging off yesterday. Thankfully, said arsehole forgot to dismiss the screen on the charger, so my wife was able to press stop and restart hers.

This happened me in Coynes cross a while ago too
    I'm quite a large chap who wouldnt be prone to not arguing... shall we say... so I stormed out and confronted the person, ended their charge and completed my session.

That bug is the reason I use my chademo adapter now on the multi head FCPs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'm quite a large chap who wouldnt be prone to not arguing... shall we say... so I stormed out and confronted the person

Was she significantly smaller than you though?
    Did it go down something like this?

giphy.gif

:D:D:D

I'm not sure why you advocate excluding the majority of Irish EV owners from charging infrastructure.

I'm not excluding any Nissan Leaf owners from the tax payer funded public chargers. Like I'm not excluding any Tesla owners from the tax payer funded public chargers

But I don't want any tax payers money invested just for those particular groups either. If those manufacturers choose to be awkward and use a different system, it's up to them to provide their customers with a fix. Tesla has always done this (CHAdeMO adapter) and they've now actively joined CCS by fitting all their new model cars with this standard and offering to convert all their old model cars from their own legacy system to CCS

Kramer wrote: »
    Was she significantly smaller than you though?
    Did it go down something like this?

:D:D:D

If it was a woman I'd have sent the OH - even I wouldnt dare argue with here :P

But I don't want any tax payers money invested just for those particular groups either.

No waaaaaay dude - can't be saying that now, it's all about equality these days. One can't single out a single group such as unfortunate Leaf owners & deny them equal access to state resources.
    Next, we'll have our new Taoiseach granting Chademo/Leaf owners special EV'thnic status. I forsee the rise of Leafophobia :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

But I don't want any tax payers money invested just for those particular groups either.

So to be clear, are you saying that new fast chargers installed be the ESB shouldn't have a ChaDeMo connector?

So to be clear, are you saying that new fast chargers installed be the ESB shouldn't have a ChaDeMo connector?
    Since chademo doesnt come in >50kW, yes

Ideally ESB shouldn't install any chargers using tax payers money. It's anti-competitive and inefficient use of tax payers money. Possibly even illegal state support for a semi-state company. The private sector is far better at this and they won't charge the tax payer a cent. They will charge the EV owner using their services of course, but that's fair.

But if they have to, then please in the most effective and efficient way. And no, not using obsolete charging standards used for just one or two cars (CHAdeMO or Tesla)

BTW if I bought a Tesla in the near future (quite likely), I would still be of this opinion. If I bought a Nissan Leaf in the near future (quite unlikely) I would also still be of this opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

At some point soon, ESB need to have a few conversations with GoCar about them helping out with Dublin City station expansions, given how many of them they occupy almost permanently.

MJohnston wrote: »

Doesnt matter if screen still on or not, if she plugs out and plugs back in it stops the other one Chademo or CCS

I've a leaf and an ipace plugged in and stopped mine so it goes both ways.

• Advertisement

Ohh you mean the obsolete charging system that at present is the only one that can do vehicle to grid (admittedly we dont do that in ireland and ccs will eventually get it) and also uses simple canbus to negotiate.

This happened me in Coynes cross a while ago too
    I'm quite a large chap who wouldnt be prone to not arguing... shall we say... so I stormed out and confronted the person, ended their charge and completed my session.

That bug is the reason I use my chademo adapter now on the multi head FCPs :P

It still cuts off if a ccs is plugged in.

I'm not excluding any Nissan Leaf owners from the tax payer funded public chargers. Like I'm not excluding any Tesla owners from the tax payer funded public chargers

But I don't want any tax payers money invested just for those particular groups either. If those manufacturers choose to be awkward and use a different system, it's up to them to provide their customers with a fix. Tesla has always done this (CHAdeMO adapter) and they've now actively joined CCS by fitting all their new model cars with this standard and offering to convert all their old model cars from their own legacy system to CCS

Awkward - chademo was first and ccs was not introduced for the customers benefit, its a classic competitors (car manufacturer) ploy of slowing down direct competition. It muddies the waters and if anything if europe was fully open about it the standard would of been chademo. Instead europe waited until the ccs was issued to start talking about a standard, tried to block out chademo but was told they would have legal action taken.

In saying all of that, the ccs idea is not bad in relation to using the ac type 2 in conjunction with the two dc prongs.

I dont know why the standard of chademo couldt of been kept but with a physical different plug - ie standards of canbus but with the ccs plug type.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Goldmark

It looks like our fast charging hubs promised by E-Cars are here already. Just received an e-mail stating that they have been constructed at Galway Plaza and Applegreen Kilcullen. Not quiet what I had in mind for fast charging hubs as welcome as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Goldmark wrote: »
    It looks like our fast charging hubs promised by E-Cars are here already. Just received an e-mail stating that they have been constructed at Galway Plaza and Applegreen Kilcullen. Not quiet what I had in mind for fast charging hubs as welcome as they are.

I used one of the ESB units at Kilcullen last weekend on the way back from Dublin and was astonished at the size of the area around the filling station. A private enterprise could easily fit a bank of 10+ Charging stations in one corner of it. The big question of course, will anyone actually ever do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

In my universe 2 DC chargers at one place are not a hub. In ESB universe it does, it seems....

Neither it is in Oxford Dictionary.
    hub
    noun

the central or main part of something where there is most activity

hub
    noun, IT

a machine that connects several computers together

several
    adjective

(of an amount or number) more than two and fewer than many; some

What, this is the 2 x 50 Kw sites ?

I was just using the 2 x charger facility in Kilcullen on Sunday there was another i3 charging, handy to have 2 chargers alright.

But I wouldn't exactly call 2 x 50 Kw sites a Hub lol.

I wonder will there be load balancing ?

They struggled at that site initially, but at the other "hub" I charged at 50kW beside a Kona that was also charging 50kW

But I wouldn't exactly call 2 x 50 Kw sites a Hub lol.

Well, ESB/ECars do, so there's that :D.

We may not need any more expansion of the charging infrastructure anyway once the greens get it - we'll be bicycling from Cork to Limerick on the old bóithrín as they build the new M20 motorway nearby in parallel (or not :rolleyes:).

• Advertisement

People want the Greens in, probably the school leavers influenced by Greta Thunberg's bullsh1t and probably some college kids, probably all too young to remember the damage they did the last time.

Greens will tax the bejesus out of us all but if they want to try get proper cycle lanes in then I would seriously welcome this. Nothing I'd love more than to be able to cycle my local back roads with my 2 small sons but back roads are lethal in the country with high speed traffic going well beyond a speed suited for a lot of roads with cars pinned to the ditch as they go around a bend small kids have no chance.

2 DC chargers are better than 1 but where's the 100 + Kw chargers ? and no I don't think 2 chargers per site is enough should be about 6 Minimum and have some shelter as petrol and diesel drivers have, I mean, Should EV drivers expect less? and no that isn't some sort of entitled talk, it's actually what petrol and diesel drivers have been getting for many decades.

Advertisement