Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'll probably just give them the 20 quid for the convenience of keeping the account and the card

+1, simplest and most realistic avenue

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thats BS. Why would he then put the picnic table in the spot where the EV needs to park in order to charge??? (not a dig at you, but at his reason for installing the bench where he did)

Without knowing the guy, it sounds like he was expecting it to be a cashcow for his shop, with EV's travelling from far and wide to charge at his Fast Charge Point (Perhaps ESB sold him this myth?), and when it didn't turn out like this, he perhaps went back to ESB asking where all this promised custom was, and demanded more money as it was currently unviable for him... Free charging most certainly didn't help either with cars probably left there for hours on end....

I wonder what the agreement is between ESB and the property owners. I'm gonna hazard a guess that ESB isn't paying money for the parking spaces they're using.

I figured it's something along the lines of "you let us install a charger for free, it entices some customers for you and we keep the revenue"

So you'd wonder why, if the guy is so unhappy having a charger there, he doesn't just boot the ESB out? I mean it's still his property at the end of the day.

I don't wanna lose a fast charger but I'd prefer if they were installed somewhere I wasn't going to get abuse from the owner

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I wonder what the agreement is between ESB and the property owners. I'm gonna hazard a guess that ESB isn't paying money for the parking spaces they're using.

I figured it's something along the lines of "you let us install a charger for free, it entices some customers for you and we keep the revenue"

So you'd wonder why, if the guy is so unhappy having a charger there, he doesn't just boot the ESB out? I mean it's still his property at the end of the day.

I don't wanna lose a fast charger but I'd prefer if they were installed somewhere I wasn't going to get abuse from the owner

ESB probably hoodwinked him into a 10 year contract or something like that.

ESB probably hoodwinked him into a 10 year contract or something like that.

There must be something like that, like if the owner wants the charger removed then they have to pay for removal

I don't buy the owners statement that they paid €26k for the charger. If that was the case then they'd own it and could just sell it on if it was that much trouble for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

He is full of crap, he told me that circle k offered him 50000 euro for the charger. Honestly its better to stay away from him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

kanuseeme wrote: »
    He is full of crap, he told me that circle k offered him 50000 euro for the charger. Honestly its better to stay away from him.

He's the biggest source of entertainment this thread has gotten in a good while. Nice change of pace from the usual "What are ESB doing with our public money! Bloody 2 unit "hubs"!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This thread definitely needs more of that guy!! Anyone there local care to take a spin in to him for a small top up, and to give us an update??

Pre-Pandemic I'd have travelled to Waterford a few times a year to see family, but have yet to take a trip there since getting an EV. Would love to visit this place now (even if I didn't need the charge!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Anyone there local care to take a spin in to him for a small top up, and to give us an update??

I'm not local, but willing to take one for the team & break the 5km rule, should you guys deem it necessary :D.

A little perturbed by the mention of paedos & guns though..............would it be a dangerous mission? I didn't know paedos had a particular penchant for EVs either............every day is a learning day I guess :D.

Tesco Tipperary.............a little dark...........no?

A0G2jih.jpg

44kWs available, but not enough for even a little illumination :rolleyes:.

Kramer wrote: »
    I'm not local, but willing to take one for the team & break the 5km rule, should you guys deem it necessary :D.

I can see the conversation at a garda checkpoint now:

Guards: "What's your reason to travel?"
    Kramer: "I'm heading to Waterford to charge my EV and see if the a$$hole who owns the petrol station is still an a$$hole"
    Guards: "Fair enough so, enjoy the trip"

• Advertisement

He's the biggest source of entertainment this thread has gotten in a good while. Nice change of pace from the usual "What are ESB doing with our public money! Bloody 2 unit "hubs"!"

I'm waiting for one of the mods to split it off into it's own thread, we should provide some ideas for the thread title

"Angry petrol station git in Waterford who hassles EV owners" :D

I can see the conversation at a garda checkpoint now:

Guards: "What's your reason to travel?"
    Kramer: "I'm heading to Waterford to charge my EV and see if the a$$hole who owns the petrol station is still an a$$hole"
    Guards: "Fair enough so, enjoy the trip"

An alleged Tesla driver, stopped on the M8, just outside Cork, heading north...........

"Hi guard, you're looking well. They're grand shiney buttons you have on that jacket. I'm just off to charge up this old electric car I'm driving here................at my nearest Tesla supercharger...............it's a Tesla...............it needs a Tesla charger you see guard. It's essential.............thanks guard.............is Castlebellingham far guard?.
    Bye bye now."

:D

Tesco Tipperary.............a little dark...........no?

A0G2jih.jpg

44kWs available, but not enough for even a little illumination :rolleyes:.

I am not an expert but I would think its a perfect place for a paedo to charge his car.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I am not an expert but I would think its a perfect place for a paedo to charge his car.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well I never.................God my eyes are being opened today...........someone nearby was walking a dog too there............err, dogging I think I heard them say & they were saying it'd be grand being hooked up, while being hooked up to the AC............they said the electric heated seats were a godsend in winter while they dogged.......

Every little helps..........:eek:.

It’s official...

So what these units have a 2-6kW AC in them as well, just with no tether?? Bit crappy for older Zoe drivers and Tesla AC22 capable S/X's that dont have the CCS upgrade or a Chademo adapter...

532012.jpeg

If they're 44 Kw can they provide at least 2 x 22 Kw at each outlet ?

If they're 44 Kw can they provide at least 2 x 22 Kw at each outlet ?

No. 44kW on either CCS or Chademo, one or the other.
    2-6kW in addition on AC though, so there's that :pac:.

Madness that those units can't output 22kW on AC if the CCS/Chademo are not being used....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How they get away with counting 2kW (single phase cable like most have) as a charge point is a joke

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Hard to know what's best, 1 X 44 KW or 2 X 22 Kw.

It would much better of course if they were 2 X 44 Kw DC chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

No. 44kW on either CCS or Chademo, one or the other.
    2-6kW in addition on AC though, so there's that :pac:.

I was on the new one at Bolton St, Waterford earlier today.
    No one else there, reckon I was getting close enough to 40kW. What would happen if a Leaf came and plugged in?

eagerv wrote: »
    I was on the new one at Bolton St, Waterford earlier today.
    No one else there, reckon I was getting close enough to 40kW. What would happen if a Leaf came and plugged in?

One would assume nothing. Just like the old triple head units, a new user would be unable to initiate a charge, if another EV was already using DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

One would assume nothing. Just like the old triple head units, a new user would be unable to initiate a charge, if another EV was already using DC.

Thanks, on the new units the tethered cables are locked. Took about 4 attempts today to get the CCS plug to indicate green so could plug in to car. (Using Ecars card) Clicked each time, but stayed red. Otherwise a good experience, apart from the drive in angled parking which means you need to reverse in an ID.3, Ioniq, Model3, etc. (Waterford, Bolton St car park)

It’s official...

So what these units have a 2-6kW AC in them as well, just with no tether?? Bit crappy for older Zoe drivers and Tesla AC22 capable S/X's that dont have the CCS upgrade or a Chademo adapter...

532012.jpeg

Why do you say 2/6kW AC? App says 22kW AC and 50kW DC.

Ecars even clarified it.
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your comment. next eco car is correct and this upgrade is already in place on these charge points. If one vehicle is using these chargers, the maximum power output for DC is 50kW and the maximum output power for AC is 22kW. In case of two vehicles using the charger together, the max. DC output will be between 39kW and 46kW. The AC maximum power output in this case will be between 3.7kW and 11kW. These values all depend on the demands of both vehicles. Best regards, Anna.

So 1 car = 50kW DC, 22kW AC.
    2 cars seems like AC gets priority (if you have 3 phase charging you get 11kW) and the remainder goes to DC. So a Zoe would get 11kW leaving 39kW to DC charging.

Why do you say 2/6kW AC? App says 22kW AC and 50kW DC.

I thought this was one of the other newer units that had very slow AC, but I guess I’m wrong....

These units look quite good then, and should ultyreplce a lot of the current AC22 fleet where parking is feesable.

I thought this was one of the other newer units that had very slow AC, but I guess I’m wrong....

These units look quite good then, and should ultyreplce a lot of the current AC22 fleet where parking is feesable.

It's the newer units alright, but with a software upgrade to allow better load balancing and better stand alone AC power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

To keep the 98% uptime the maintenance is done live.
    Too bad you can't charge in the same time
    attachment.php?attachmentid=532317&stc=1&d=1604918582
    Showing available on the app when the door is opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any regular Waterford EV owners here who could clarify what was happening I wonder? I had also read different takes on that charger............be nice to know if it's a banker, for when I'm next down that way.

I'm not a regular but I heard owner wanted payment from ecars and got it. Most other sites get no payment as far as I know.

Advertisement