Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hard to know what's best, 1 X 44 KW or 2 X 22 Kw.

It would much better of course if they were 2 X 44 Kw DC chargers.
    1 44kW is better. most cars cant even take 11kW at the 22
    If we all drove Zoes then 2 22kW would be best

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

innrain wrote: »
    To keep the 98% uptime the maintenance is done live.
    Too bad you can't charge in the same time

Showing available on the app when the door is opened.

Ugh, hate when that happens. I wish they'd install sensors like Ionity to tell if the space is occupied

Were they actually doing maintenance or just ICEing the spaces?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

ELM327 wrote: »
    1 44kW is better. most cars cant even take 11kW at the 22
    If we all drove Zoes then 2 22kW would be best

More cars seem to be going to 11kW on 3 phase, which is an improvment

Personally I think 2 separate pedestals would be best, a 2x11kW AC and a 44kW DC charger. The AC could be given priority so it's not totally killed when a car is using DC.

If they made the AC cheaper than the DC then it'd be good for folks to grab a quick charge on DC or use AC if they're staying longer.

Kind of best of both worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Ugh, hate when that happens. I wish they'd install sensors like Ionity to tell if the space is occupied

Were they actually doing maintenance or just ICEing the spaces?

Well they have the side of the unit open. Let's hope it's not just getting cultured eh?

More cars seem to be going to 11kW on 3 phase, which is an improvment

Personally I think 2 separate pedestals would be best, a 2x11kW AC and a 44kW DC charger. The AC could be given priority so it's not totally killed when a car is using DC.

If they made the AC cheaper than the DC then it'd be good for folks to grab a quick charge on DC or use AC if they're staying longer.

Kind of best of both worlds

If the supply is there and the unit can be configured properly (ie 2 *16a three phase but also 2 * 32a single ) then yes that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not sure why you would prioritise AC over DC, surely priority should be based on who arrived first irrespective of what type of power they require.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Delighted to see the new chargers in Galway / Ballina / Clifden - 3 spots i visit regularly but couldn't bring the eGolf too. That's 3 x 50kW chargers close to Galway city now, make the trip so much easier. Any time I've called into the Loughrea Plaza there's always a few EV's charging at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

liamog wrote: »
    Not sure why you would prioritise AC over DC, surely priority should be based on who arrived first irrespective of what type of power they require.

Surely DC should be the priority? If you’re charging at 7-22kW AC then you’ve already shown a willingness to wait. Of course, you should be paying less too.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Delighted to see the new chargers in Galway / Ballina / Clifden - 3 spots i visit regularly but couldn't bring the eGolf too. That's 3 x 50kW chargers close to Galway city now, make the trip so much easier. Any time I've called into the Loughrea Plaza there's always a few EV's charging at it.

And Westport is installed, but just not live yet. Guy was walking around Westport on Reddit live the other day. Got him to seeing by the leisure centre and yup, unit is in place.... Red on the app though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This thread definitely needs more of that guy!!

And for the people who have no idea what we are talking about:

532441.jpg

You couldn't make it up. Only in Ireland :p

• Advertisement

For clarity, the bench was nailed down.

There were also some funny photos on plugshare

So we're back on the crazy Waterford dude now? I was worried this thread was getting boring again :D

I wonder what's in the portacabin, looks like someone's garden shed

Maybe the guy was just annoyed that the charger is blocking the door of the cabin :D

unkel wrote: »
    And for the people who have no idea what we are talking about:

532441.jpg

You couldn't make it up. Only in Ireland :p

I want to see a YouTube video of some dude ripping the bench out with a tow rope. Like that guy who dragged a pickup out of a supercharger space in the US

I vaguely remember there being a contact for ESB Ecar on IEVOA facebook (or some platform) who was asked to sort out waterford, and their reply was something along the lines of "we're in contact with the owner and a resolution has been reached". It was a comment on a post on facebook, so impossible to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »
    For clarity, the bench was nailed down.

There were also some funny photos on plugshare

I suppose it's worth mentioning that it hasn't been blocking a space for a couple of years. Maybe not. Where's the lolz in that?

markpb wrote: »
    Surely DC should be the priority? If you’re charging at 7-22kW AC then you’ve already shown a willingness to wait. Of course, you should be paying less too.

Well, I feel like if I'm on AC, anything less than 7kW is a bit pointless unless it's an overnight charge.

Whereas 22kW DC is still pretty decent, and it's likely you'll be getting more since a lot of cars still AC charge at 7kW, you'd probably get somewhere between 30-37kW depending on how many cars are using AC

If you consider where the charger is placed, you'd have a lot of different wait times from people looking for a fairly quick charge while they're doing some shopping and others who are spending a few hours there while at the gym or something.

So a mix of AC & DC is probably best IMO. I'd probably charge slightly less for the DC than the 50kW chargers and maybe increase the overstay time to 90 mins in respect of the slower speed

I suppose it's worth mentioning that it hasn't been blocking a space for a couple of years. Maybe not. Where's the lolz in that?
    It hasn't been for a couple of years, correct.
    But that place has been blocked by the picnic table, then barricaded in by the owner. He's a headcase by talking to some of the locals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The pallet photo I posted a few pages back was uploaded to Plugshare in December 2019, so the issue was persisting until recently anyway!!!!

We need to send a scout to check it out.... to get a '1 year on' update on the current state of play.

531890.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The pallet photo I posted a few pages back was uploaded to Plugshare in December 2019, so the issue was persisting until recently anyway!!!!

We need to send a scout to check it out.... to get a '1 year on' update on the current state of play.

I thought that picture was from years ago, like when the picnic bench was there, and that we were just rehashing this old story because it was fun. I didn't realise that it was so recent.

I hope to be over that way a little later on, so if I am, I'll swing by and report back!

When the lockdown ends I may do this.

• Advertisement

531890.png

I bet the owner will be complaining that no-one is using the charger now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I was there around this time last year and both spaces were free although he had some sign up about purchasing something from the garage if you wished to use the charger

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I was there around this time last year and both spaces were free although he had some sign up about purchasing something from the garage if you wished to use the charger

This is what I suspected all along.

He was expecting the charger to be a revenue generator for his shop, and it probably didn’t work out that way so he threw his toys out of the pram...

This is what I suspected all along.

He was expecting the charger to be a revenue generator for his shop, and it probably didn’t work out that way so he threw his toys out of the pram...

Back in the day when folks believed in what ecars promised. Like being promised a hub, but instead getting 2 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

fricatus wrote: »
    I hope to be over that way a little later on, so if I am, I'll swing by and report back!

So I went past there yesterday evening and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Nothing blocking the charger, no A4 laminated signs, just the standard "ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING ONLY" type ones.

Stealthirl wrote: »

:rolleyes: Didn't see that, but it doesn't surprise me in the least...

It may yet become one ironically. People who would buy a Leaf and sit in it for an hour sucking down free juice would be unlikely to offset their penny-pinching by buying a coffee (they'd bring one from home in a flask!)

However there are lots of EVs being bought now, and once Covid is gone, it's much more likely that an ECars customer will pop into the shop while charging. The irony is that when eventually we see the first ECars hub in the Waterford area (i.e. when we reach Norway levels of EV penetration), there's no way in hell they will want to locate it in yer man's garage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

For the second time now at Stillorgan once a Zoe tries to connect to the triple the charging speed on CCS drops to 25kW. I presume is the same for them. The stupid thing is that beside the rapid there are 4 22kW standards giving Zoe the same speed. What's the point of the triple when it can't deliver?

innrain wrote: »
    For the second time now at Stillorgan once a Zoe tries to connect to the triple the charging speed on CCS drops to 25kW. I presume is the same for them. The stupid thing is that beside the rapid there are 4 22kW standards giving Zoe the same speed. What's the point of the triple when it can't deliver?

The point is ecars get a few quid more off ya.

Back in the day when folks believed in what ecars promised. Like being promised a hub, but instead getting 2 units.

A lot of people in here seem delighted with the progress and the excellent spent of our tax money on all these new super hubs they created for us.

This thread is nearly 2 years old and where are these "six high speed charging hubs" from the OP?

fricatus wrote: »
    However there are lots of EVs being bought now, and once Covid is gone, it's much more likely that an ECars customer will pop into the shop while charging.

For the record, the one time we were there (for about 30 minutes iirc) as per my above picture nearly 3.5 years ago, we spent quite a lot on coffees, hot chocolates, ice creams, etc. for the 5 of us in the shop. Mostly high margin items. That was while charging the near empty car which had just done the 170km from Dublin (with no CCS chargers in between except the most ridiculous one of them all at Tesco Naas)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    A lot of people in here seem delighted with the progress and the excellent spent of our tax money on all these new super hubs they created for us.

Would that be the 4 sites that can DC charge up to 3 cars (only 2 CCS cars though) at the same time? (2 on the 150kW, and one on the Triple Head*)

*eCars confirmed on Facebook that only 1 car can now use the Triple Head at any given time, though I suspect that's BS, and they simply didn't plan ahead and just placed the Triple Head at space 3 instead of creating a 4th space and locating it between the 2...

529430.jpeg

Advertisement