Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

2 DC chargers are better than 1 but where's the 100 + Kw chargers ? and no I don't think 2 chargers per site is enough should be about 6 Minimum and have some shelter as petrol and diesel drivers have, I mean, Should EV drivers expect less? and no that isn't some sort of entitled talk, it's actually what petrol and diesel drivers have been getting for many decades.

We'd only be complaining that "it's a waste having all those chargers in 1 place!". 2 is a good start, providing they're using the usage data on those, and other chargers, to determine where the next chargers go.
    But that's probably too smart for e-cars to think of.

At least 3 on site. That should be the minimum.

At least 3 on site. That should be the minimum.

I'd say 2. 1 for redundancy. Any more would depend on demand, IMO. Saves on waste where chargers are not required, but also prioritises high traffic areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'd say 2. 1 for redundancy. Any more would depend on demand, IMO. Saves on waste where chargers are not required, but also prioritises high traffic areas.

You can't rely on them fixing them in due time, if they break.

So it should be 4 really.

/M

Ah I'll go back to my 6 per site minimum lol.

• Advertisement

Ionity are taking their time on the N7 North.

Marlow wrote: »
    You can't rely on them fixing them in due time, if they break.

So it should be 4 really.

/M

Adding more chargers but not addressing their uptime doesn't help anything. Surely it's cheaper to maintain less chargers than it is to install redundant multiples?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭JohnC.

While we’re getting a couple of 2x50kW hubs, Porsche in Germany have built a 12x350kW charging park. It’s also thrown in 4x22kW. No, it’s not restricted to their cars. They say the power comes from renewable sources.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020/company/porsche-turbo-charging-europes-most-powerful-rapid-charging-park-leipzig-19995.html

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And no, it's not costing the tax payer a cent either. Clearly the way forward.

Not like the paltry 2 * 50kW "charging hubs" we get (we actually only got one of those, right?) paid from our general taxation.

I had to go to the Airport again last night and decided this time I'd try the charger at the Circle K Clonshaugh road, of course it was in use for about 25-30 mins, I had plenty of time so I waited, I plugged in the AC and got around 10% in that space of time, nothing to sneeze at.

It was painful though, for around 15 mins I was charging as fast as they were charging their leaf on DC.......

The Public network in all honesty is an utter joke, still. No question, it's not fit for purpose. I think I'd go insane if I had a BEV given the current state of the network. Go out west and it's crap altogether, 64 Kwh or 90 the problem still exists, when you need to charge chances are you'll be waiting.

Zoe owners are really lucky, up to 44 Kw charger and can use the ac side of a fast charger whild the DC is in use, AC points they get 22 Kw. Really lucky.

Does the zoe still have an only 22 Kw charger option ? one where it ditches the 44 Kw or does it have 44 Kw for all 40 Kwh Zoes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,916 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I had to go to the Airport again last night and decided this time I'd try the charger at the Circle K Clonshaugh road, of course it was in use for about 25-30 mins, I had plenty of time so I waited, I plugged in the AC and got around 10% in that space of time, nothing to sneeze at.

It was painful though, for around 15 mins I was charging as fast as they were charging their leaf on DC.......

The Public network in all honesty is an utter joke, still. No question, it's not fit for purpose. I think I'd go insane if I had a BEV given the current state of the network. Go out west and it's crap altogether, 64 Kwh or 90 the problem still exists, when you need to charge chances are you'll be waiting.

Zoe owners are really lucky, up to 44 Kw charger and can use the ac side of a fast charger whild the DC is in use, AC points they get 22 Kw. Really lucky.

Does the zoe still have an only 22 Kw charger option ? one where it ditches the 44 Kw or does it have 44 Kw for all 40 Kwh Zoes ?
    I have done and there is no issue.
    Galway, westport, all well served, M4-M6 is one of the best served corridors in the country now.

The FCP network has improved exponentially since the introduction of payments. Easygo have helped too, not to mention Ionity.

Hopefully future state will be that private companies will handle the FCP needs, and will support payment by contactless.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I have done and there is no issue.
    Galway, westport, all well served, M4-M6 is one of the best served corridors in the country now.

The FCP network has improved exponentially since the introduction of payments. Easygo have helped too, not to mention Ionity.

Hopefully future state will be that private companies will handle the FCP needs, and will support payment by contactless.

There's not quarter enough charge points in the West, and then as in most other places they are single charger sites, useless, chances are you could have 30 min to over 1 hr wait if there's a queue.

Look at the map FFS.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's not quarter enough charge points in the West, and then as in most other places they are single charger sites, useless, chances are you could have 30 min to over 1 hr wait if there's a queue.

Pretty big if in the west, since the charges came in you'd be pretty unlucky if you had to queue. I pass the Castlebar one every day and it's almost always empty.

The i-pace that lived there is usually charging up at one of the 22kw chargers in the town.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty big if in the west, since the charges came in you'd be pretty unlucky if you had to queue. I pass the Castlebar one every day and it's almost always empty.

Yeah and if it's down ? fair drive to the next one if you need the charge.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's only about 25 minutes out the road in Ballindine and there's two 22kw chargers close to the Castlebar one.

Situation could be a lot better of course but there's much worse places to drive an EV than Mayo/Galway. The North West is the worst served part of the country by far.

The main arteries between the cities are a much bigger priority imo. Galway to Cork is pretty thin on the ground for convenient FCPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

it's about 30km to Ballindine. there are also a number of 22 km chargers in castlebar if you are stuck

Look at the map FFS.
    Why don't you look at the map. "FFS".

We holiday regularly in Westport, a 3 hour drive each way from home, and then when there pick a day or two to drive and sightsee. Last time we went to Achill. Before that we drove to clare and back.

We have to leave our cats in Wexford so the journey to mayo and back becomes 7-8 hours. No issues queuing for chargers, one of the only 2 charger per site Ecars locations is in Galway. Ionity in Athlone, Tesla SuC in ballacolla, Ionity in Cashel. There's plenty of choice. I've not queued once at a fast charger since I got my Tesla.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Mickeroo wrote: »

The main arteries between the cities are a much bigger priority imo. Galway to Cork is pretty thin on the ground for convenient FCPs.

I'm looking at the Tyrone/fermanagh/cavan and then on towards dublin. There's a few 22kw ones and the odd chademo about.

Will have a wedding in cavan to go to in May, and the e-niro should make it there and back,

Have a fast charger in Monaghan (either easygo, or esb) or a fast charger in Derry to see me home.

I live in the west. I drive regularly from galway to Achill island rtn and from galway to Dublin rtn. I have never had a problem. I seem to remember that this really annoys Mad_lad :-)
    I fast charged 4 times yesterday, without issue or without wait.
    I fully respect peoples decisions to buy plug in hybrids or Rex or whatever, each to their own. Today I'm actually driving my wifes 530e. However there is a big delta between mad lads view of reality and actual reality.

I live in the west. I drive regularly from galway to Achill island rtn and from galway to Dublin rtn. I have never had a problem. I seem to remember that this really annoys Mad_lad :-)
    I fast charged 4 times yesterday, without issue or without wait.
    I fully respect peoples decisions to buy plug in hybrids or Rex or whatever, each to their own. Today I'm actually driving my wifes 530e. However there is a big delta between mad lads view of reality and actual reality.

More like you have no alternative so you have to make do........

The Rex also saves me waiting at chargers if I don't want to. ;)

• Advertisement

More like you have no alternative so you have to make do........

The Rex also saves me waiting at chargers if I don't want to. ;)
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Why don't you look at the map. "FFS".

We holiday regularly in Westport, a 3 hour drive each way from home, and then when there pick a day or two to drive and sightsee. Last time we went to Achill. Before that we drove to clare and back.

We have to leave our cats in Wexford so the journey to mayo and back becomes 7-8 hours. No issues queuing for chargers, one of the only 2 charger per site Ecars locations is in Galway. Ionity in Athlone, Tesla SuC in ballacolla, Ionity in Cashel. There's plenty of choice. I've not queued once at a fast charger since I got my Tesla.

I had to wait 25 mins at the charger off the malahide road Sunday night because the charger at the Airport was busy "again" so they really could do with 2 chargers at the busier sites, a week ago I was in Blanch and the fast charger was down and the AC point busy.

We have a long way to go.

Most people are not going to accept looking for chargers, waiting at chargers, they want to be guaranteed to be able to charge just like they have no problems finding petrol pumps and they don't have to wait, it's hard enough to convince those who already dismiss EV that it can take up to 50 mins or more to charge a larger battery EV then add to that a potential 1 hr wait or more ?

Keep deluding yourselves that the infrastructure is good, sounds like the pro ESB group I remember on on FB......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I had to wait 25 mins at the charger off the malahide road Sunday night because the charger at the Airport was busy "again" so they really could do with 2 chargers at the busier sites, a week ago I was in Blanch and the fast charger was down and the AC point busy.

We have a long way to go.

Most people are not going to accept looking for chargers, waiting at chargers, they want to be guaranteed to be able to charge just like they have no problems finding petrol pumps and they don't have to wait, it's hard enough to convince those who already dismiss EV that it can take up to 50 mins or more to charge a larger battery EV then add to that a potential 1 hr wait or more ?

Keep deluding yourselves that the infrastructure is good, sounds like the pro ESB group I remember on on FB......

I thought you didn't wait at chargers any more, what with the super REX and all. :D

I thought you didn't wait at chargers any more, what with the super REX and all. :D

I only did it because I had the time and the missus flight was a bit late. :D

Other than that if the charger is available I'll use it unless it's too inconvenient, missus peed off and doesn't want to wait or kids going nuts maybe after driving a long time already.

If the battery is too cold and it's taking too long, if the battery hasn't been pre-heated and driven, say, if we're away from home, then I'll use the Rex and drive until the battery has warmed up. Usually I'll know anyway before I drive off that the battery is too cold, I can easily check from the hidden menu anyway.

Honestly, there is really no need to be so ignorant.

You keep changing the goal posts to suit your latest opinion.
    You claim the problem is in the west. You then claim the problem is in Dublin.
    You claim that fast chargers are never available

You then claim that you almost never use fast chargers because
    a.) there are so unreliable
    b.) the greatest thrill you get in your life is using your rex to drive pass the losers at the fast chargers.

For someone who claims to hardly ever use fast chargers because they are so ****e you have some very strong opinions..

There is no denying that fast charging could be better, especially around Dublin.

One of the great things about boards.ie is the ability to share information and give less informed people information they need to make educated decisions.

The only interest I have is in sharing my real world experiences.
    If's not my fault that the charging infrastructure is currently good enough for me, so please have a bit of manners and stop accusing me of having some sort of vested interest.

Honestly, there is really no need to be so ignorant.

I use the infrastructure a little, true but when I want to use it yes there are issues except at the new M9 where there are dual chargers. The last couple of times I went to use some of the chargers they were either busy or down.

I've plenty experience with using the Charging network.

Reality check, most people don't want to risk waiting at chargers on single charger sites, most people don't want to wait 30+ mins charging.

People want charger availability like petrol pumps, go anywhere any time and be able to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

Charging has 100% helped and we do need more dual locations and destination chargers.

On the plus side back a few weeks ago I got a free charge out of eCars after the charger had issues. Charged full speed and worked fine all I could see not working was the card. It didn’t show any usage on the app on billing it just came in Free. It’s nice to see they are finally doing this.

We're still in early adopters phase here in Ireland, can't expect things to be flawless yet. Sure there's black spots around the country because of A) lack of chargers (west/north west) B) not enough chargers (some places in Dublin from what I hear), but it's a work in progress I would hope. The rate at which ESB are adding chargers is pretty dismal though, considering the investment they've gotten.

As for those A) lack of chargers, I'd imagine people factor that into their decision when buying. I bought an Ioniq, it covered 99% of my driving, and there are chargers near where I would typically go. North west isn't one of those places, so it doesn't bother me. Dublin isn't one of those places either, so again, doesn't bother me. Only once have I decided against going somewhere because of charging, and that was mostly because the hotel didn't have a place to charge overnight - FYI, there was a rapid charger in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Compare the ECars "hubs" with this in Lanarkshire, Scotland (an area roughly large as Co. Wexford, and population of about 650k people).
    Lanarkshire Councils are collaborating with Transport Scotland and Scottish Power Energy Networks (SPEN) to install 220 EV chargers at 37 sites across the Scottish county just below Glasgow.

The charging points will be installed across 22 large, high-voltage hubs and 15 medium facilities with low-voltage connections.

That's 6 chargers per site. And it's about 162 fast chargers - significantly more than in the whole Ireland right now. And they already have quite a few chargers over there, so this is on top of that.

I say - where's the money ESB? I'm going to send a letter of enquiry on where they'd put the money in last several years and where & when their bloody hubs are going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They're getting all that for 5 million GBP??

Advertisement