Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

JPA wrote: »
    I cannot see the charge points at Poleberry and Ballybeg getting much use at all.
    Parnell Street AC doesn't get used much already, it's like parking in the middle of the road.
    McGiver wrote: »
    Right so the replacement of 2x22 kW AC with the new shiny DC/AC combo in Galway shopping centre seems a bit dodgy. It allegedly can do 50 kW CCS/Chademo and 22 kW AC, as the sticker on it says:
    Input - 400V, 108A, 50/60 Hz, 3P+N+PE, 75 kW
    Output - AC, 400V, 32A, 22 kW
    Output - DC, 50-500V, 0-125A, 50 kW

Means they should have 75 kW power supply but I'm not really sure.

I've tried the CCS and got 13.7 kW in exactly 30 minutes at low SOC, so it should have been taking 45-46 kWh if available, but was taking mere 27 kWh.

ECars explained that they load balance if both AC and DC are in use. AC will take up to 22kW, and DC gets the remainder. So a kona taking 11kW would leave 39kW for the DC port.... in theory.

27kW (after losses) is pretty poor. You don't drive a 2020 Ioniq by any chance... that'd explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

McGiver wrote: »
    I've tried the CCS and got 13.7 kW in exactly 30 minutes at low SOC, so it should have been taking 45-46 kWh if available, but was taking mere 27 kWh.
    27kW (after losses) is pretty poor. You don't drive a 2020 Ioniq by any chance... that'd explain it.

An I3 I think, which are notorious for slow DC charging, when cold.

You might remember Mad_Lad's frequent posts heralding the ReX as a saviour, due to his I3's slow DC charging, when cold (cold gating)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's not really a problem on the i3 if you have battery pre-conditioning properly configured. Of course if you're going out for a spontaneous trip, that won't work as you need to set the pre-conditioning 3 hours in advance.

Kramer wrote: »

You might remember Mad_Lad's frequent posts heralding the ReX as a saviour, due to his I3's slow DC charging, when cold (cold gating)

Mad_Lad heralding the ReX? Doesn't ring any bells :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Charge point is not available anymore, please try a differentpoint

I was just checking how busy the chargepoint near family for visiting at Christmas and they are greyed out. I had them saved in favourites. They are gone off the map. Located in a public car park in a busy town. Is it possible they are upgrading the cp to a dc? Was 2 x22kw units

• Advertisement

loopymum wrote: »
    Charge point is not available anymore, please try a differentpoint

I was just checking how busy the chargepoint near family for visiting at Christmas and they are greyed out. I had them saved in favourites. They are gone off the map. Located in a public car park in a busy town. Is it possible they are upgrading the cp to a dc? Was 2 x22kw units

Where? What location specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

ECars explained that they load balance if both AC and DC are in use. AC will take up to 22kW, and DC gets the remainder. So a kona taking 11kW would leave 39kW for the DC port.... in theory.
    I was the only one charging. So no load balancing.
    Kramer wrote:
    It was 9 degrees. And AFAIK I was driving a bit around the town before that. I know the i3 "coldgate" but these weren't the conditions under which it happens.

Where? What location specifically?

Clonakilty.

Nearest dc to that is Bandon which is the last dc before heading to west cork.

Clonakilty.

Hard to tell with the lock down, but bandon DC is kept ticking over with usage. During the day hours its in use about 15-50% of the time during any given hour. Some days this week it's not been in use at all.

Deacys car park in clonality has only been fully occupied once this week, for about an hour and a half. All other times this week at least 1 socket has been available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Clonakilty.

I just checked there and both 22kW points are showing available

The ID is C67P3, you can type it into the app to find the charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Thanks. It must be the app being glitch. Had to relogin. Dance message was coming up in favourites so I removed it and it's showing up in the app. West cork could do with a rapid charger

Thanks. It must be the app being glitch. Had to relogin. Dance message was coming up in favourites so I removed it and it's showing up in the app. West cork could do with a rapid charger

Sure could! I think kenmare is earmarked to be upgraded from 22kW ac to 44kW DC, but no movement on that yet. Certainly West Cork travel hinges on bandon fcp.

Sure could! I think kenmare is earmarked to be upgraded from 22kW ac to 44kW DC, but no movement on that yet. Certainly West Cork travel hinges on bandon fcp.

Bandon doesn't have great access either. Difficult to get two cars accessing the charger even if one is a Zoe. Those outdoor washing machines are on one side with bollards and an entrance into a yard on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Meanwhile, in the UK, they've got the first Gridserve Electric Forecourt. A proper charging hub, solar powered, covered (by solar panels) forecourt with lots of chargers, some up to 350kw and tap to pay a meagre 24p/kWh.

Sadly, we're so behind in this country, we probably won't see anything similar for 10 years, if ever.

See the latest Fully Charged video.

Bandon doesn't have great access either. Difficult to get two cars accessing the charger even if one is a Zoe. Those outdoor washing machines are on one side with bollards and an entrance into a yard on the other side

Oh right. Pictures on plugshare make it look like there's great access to it

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

How are overstay charges calculated? I charged my car at an eCars/ESB charge point last night for 0 hr and 10 mins and in addition to paying €14 for charging a €4.60 overstay fee was applied :(

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

€4.60 penalty for going over 45 minutes, regardless of how long you stay after that! It was €5 before the vat rate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Ah, didn't realise that, thanks. S'pose it disincentives people like getting a long charge :) Mind you, it was a ghost town and not a EV to be seen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Isn’t the trick to simply finish the session before the 45 minutes, wait a few min, and start a new session? Of is there a minimum time limit between sessions?

Isn’t the truism to simply finish the session before the 45 minutes, wait a few min, and start a new session? Of is there a minimum time limit between sessions?

I believe they said there's like a 15 minute wait between charges, but I couldn't see that being enforced. Or anyone testing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

How are overstay charges calculated? I charged my car at an eCars/ESB charge point last night for 0 hr and 10 mins and in addition to paying €14 for charging a €4.60 overstay fee was applied :(

There's a typo in there, how long did you charge for?

JPA wrote: »
    There's a typo in there, how long did you charge for?

14 euro... About 46kWh. I'd guess an hour and 10. In a Kona or niro? Charged to full

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Isn’t the trick to simply finish the session before the 45 minutes, wait a few min, and start a new session? Of is there a minimum time limit between sessions?
    I think they said 5 minutes before

To be honest for the sake of 4.60 I probably wouldnt bother. I paid the overstay fee a couple of times at 50kW units when having dinner with the kids and no one was waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

_dof_ wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the UK, they've got the first Gridserve Electric Forecourt. A proper charging hub, solar powered, covered (by solar panels) forecourt with lots of chargers, some up to 350kw

Naa, ECars got there first......

IH42UO8.jpg

:D.

If you added together all the ecars fast chargers it woudl probably still have less units than that one site

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you added together all the ecars fast chargers it woudl probably still have less units than that one site

The bar has certainly just been set much higher for every charging station from now onwards

Even for Tesla standards of install sizes, that's significantly better.

I'm wondering why they needed to have a double car width between the two 'inside' charging lanes. Seems like they could make that a bit more compact of a design.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm wondering why they needed to have a double car width between the two 'inside' charging lanes. Seems like they could make that a bit more compact of a design.

I guess since a lot of manufacturers put their plugs in weird locations (looking at you Audi) you need to cater for cars being parked in slightly odd positions

It doesn't look like they're short of space, if anything they seemed to have room to expand significantly

• Advertisement

I guess since a lot of manufacturers put their plugs in weird locations (looking at you Audi) you need to cater for cars being parked in slightly odd positions

I genuinely can't think of a plug location that would require you to park outside of the provided bays — for sure some cars would need to reverse into a spot (if the opposite side was all full), but that's the same deal as with petrol pumps and they don't generally have more than a single car width of space outside of motorway service stations.
    It doesn't look like they're short of space, if anything they seemed to have room to expand significantly

Oh yeah, it's obviously fine in this particular location, I just mean in general they could do with demonstrating a range of proof of concepts for different layouts and sizes.

Advertisement