Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

MJohnston wrote: »
    Oh yeah, it's obviously fine in this particular location, I just mean in general they could do with demonstrating a range of proof of concepts for different layouts and sizes.

True enough, what works for a motorway service station won't necessarily work for a city centre car park. However, hopefully the concept catches on and we see more of these around the place (frankly, I'd settle for 1 in Ireland :()

Looking at the location, it seems a bit off the beaten track, main road from London to Norwich??? Can't imagine that's heavily trafficked. I would have thought the main road to Manchester would have made more sense. Hopefully they get enough footfall to make it worthwhile

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?charger_id=10117626

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I count 50 from my stats. 1 or 2 might have existed before the agreement. Tesco Maynooth for instance now has 2 units, as 1 already existed. Nearly complete so. 52 was the target.

From here

Ennis, Terrenure, Clane Town Centre, and Birr are not installed.

Clane done.

Just Ennis, terrenure and birr on their list.

In other news, Galway retail park out knocknacarra direction is getting another 3 dual mennekes AC units, from ecars, in addition to the existing 3 dual mennekes at b&q. Seems a place you could easily spend an hour or 2.
    B&Q, Aldi, pharmacy, next, new look, Dunnes. 12 cars well be able to simultaneously charge at the same time there. All AC, but great availability for any who can't home charge.

Nevermind. Seems esb just added them as a 3rd party unit on their app. Odd. They've no consistency in that.

All quiet on the DC front. Still only 101 sites Vs 511 slow unit sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sure why would the ESB install the fast charging hubs on intercity routes they promised and we paid them for with millions of tax payers money? We don't need those. We need a million slow charge points at Tescos.

unkel wrote: »
    Sure why would the ESB install the fast charging hubs on intercity routes they promised and we paid them for with millions of tax payers money? We don't need those. We need a million slow charge points at Tescos.

Well every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Just Ennis, terrenure and birr on their list.

I really hope they get these in before Christmas. I really do.

I've been holding off on an urgently needed trip to Tesco Ennis but daren't chance it unless that long awaited slow charge point is installed & operable.
    Gonna park up for 4+ hours @ €3/hr & suck 11kWs from that sucker :D.

Birr..............not exercised to be honest :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm wondering why they needed to have a double car width between the two 'inside' charging lanes. Seems like they could make that a bit more compact of a design.

Honestly .... at least they had foresight and didn't skimp on space.

Lets say somebody has their door open, at least you have enough space to pass them leaving your charging space. Just one example.

There is nothing worse than a crammed forecourt.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Marlow wrote: »
    Honestly .... at least they had foresight and didn't skimp on space.

Lets say somebody has their door open, at least you have enough space to pass them leaving your charging space. Just one example.

There is nothing worse than a crammed forecourt.

/M

This.
    Very good idea to have it wide enough for a wide EV like the TEsla S or X to drive up the middle with cars either side opening their doors.

The whole thing seems to be very well thought out, the only missing charging capability seems to be 43kW AC for the older Zoes, but since only a subset of older Zoes supported the 43kW charging, that's a very small number of cars.

A Tesla Model X does not even fit in a standard Dublin parking space. Never mind being able to open the doors. Spaces seem to be based on tiny cars from 50 years ago.

You mean those charge points, like this one in Tesco Extra Kinnegad, that then get occupied by a diesel Merc (and 2 minutes later a 520d parked in the other one) ??

50687922751_53198cd853_b.jpg

Just because they are some of the nearest parking spots to the door !

And yes .. I even checked the reg .. thats a diesel !!
    A Tesla Model X does not even fit in a standard Dublin parking space. Never mind being able to open the doors. Spaces seem to be based on tiny cars from 50 years ago.

Ah well .. but that parking spot there has plenty of space for a Model X .... they got that one right. Unless it's occupied by some numpty :)

/M

You mean those charge points, like this one in Tesco Extra Kinnegad, that then get occupied by a diesel Merc (and 2 minutes later a 520d parked in the other one) ??

You had me worried there for a second - I thought it was Ennis Tesco & my long awaited trip was thwarted :pac:.

In fairness, the signage there is pathetic & the ground marking indicates parent & child parking. The blue "EV only" sign is meaningless - it doesn't indicate the spaces either side are being referenced.

I expect ECars shall be along shortly with some blue paint, at my expense, not that it will make one blind bit of difference to clueless &/or obtuse, ICE drivers :rolleyes:.

It wouldn't happen outside a Waitrose or M&S - different class of shopper entirely :D.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    not that it will make one blind bit of difference to clueless &/or obtuse, ICE drivers :rolleyes:.

That is correct, sir.

I regularly see numpties in ICE cars parked in front of the Ionity charging points at the services in Cashel. And that's even though they are the furthest away from the door of the service station. Funnily enough, that doesn't seem to happen at the Athlone Ionity chargers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yes, unfortunately the place is infested with repulsive American SUVs now.

That is correct, sir.

I regularly see numpties in ICE cars parked in front of the Ionity charging points at the services in Cashel. And that's even though they are the furthest away from the door of the service station. Funnily enough, that doesn't seem to happen at the Athlone Ionity chargers.

/M

It's a shame that the cables on the ionity chargers aren't a bit longer. You could block the ICE car into it's space and plug in. If they give you any lip you could politely explain to them that they're blocking the charger :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yes, unfortunately the place is infested with repulsive American SUVs now.

I don't think there is that many American SUVs on our roads, most of the one's I see are German or Korean, with a smattering of Land Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    I don't think there is that many American SUVs on our roads, most of the one's I see are German or Korean, with a smattering of Land Rovers.
    Agree, and I've owned a few American SUVs myself. Non EVs of course.

I think the issue is less of an EV one and more of a general "weight gain" for cars since most bays were marked.
    Look at a mark3 golf vs a mark 8 golf/egolf and see the size difference. A new Polo is about the same size as the mark 3 golf.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree, and I've owned a few American SUVs myself. Non EVs of course.

I think the issue is less of an EV one and more of a general "weight gain" for cars since most bays were marked.
    Look at a mark3 golf vs a mark 8 golf/egolf and see the size difference. A new Polo is about the same size as the mark 3 golf.

I'd say it's a combination of both, cars getting chunkier in general and the huge uptick in sales of SUV style cars. You're correct that American style SUVs largely don't exist here, even full sized SUVs here would be average sized vehicles in the US

I fail to understand why People are so against crossovers which is the proper word for these taller but still small to average sized cars.

What SUV will you see in Ireland anyway, a few Land rovers maybe ? Q5 not being that big.

FFS not like you'll see a real SUV like a GMC.

A quashqai for instance isn't an SUV but an average size car in Europe, a Kona certainly isn't an SUV these are called crossovers and there's a big difference between a crossover and an SUV.

In fact they are a different class of car. CUV vs SUV. C being for "compact"

ELM327 wrote: »
    the issue is less of an EV one and more of a general "weight gain" for cars since most bays were marked.

Indeed.

fiat-500-new-vs-old1.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I for one, prefer the car to be the crumple zone instead of my passengers, but I'm modern like that :D

• Advertisement

I preferred the crumple zone in my older american barges. 10 foot of "hood"(bonnet)

I was using American less as a country of origin (especially as the vast majority of SUVs bought by Americans are not made by American companies), more a description of their size. The Nissan Qashqai, VW Tiguan, Kia Sportage, Toyota RAV 4, the Audi Qs, the BMW Xs, etc. all fit the bill in terms of tank-like characteristics in relation to the available road space.

The Tesla Model X and some Jeeps are probably the only actual American SUV on Irish roads, though? Arguably Ford, but their European SUVs aren't available in the US afaik.

I was using American less as a country of origin (especially as the vast majority of SUVs bought by Americans are not made by American companies), more a description of their size. The Nissan Qashqai, VW Tiguan, Kia Sportage, Toyota RAV 4, the Audi Qs, the BMW Xs, etc. all fit the bill in terms of tank-like characteristics in relation to the available road space.

The Tesla Model X and some Jeeps are probably the only actual American SUV on Irish roads, though? Arguably Ford, but their European SUVs aren't available in the US afaik.

Ah I get you, when I hear American SUV I think of the US style models which are all based on Pickup truck platforms to get around emission requirements. Fortunately we don't seem to have many of them over here. The SUVs in use here are basically a tall hatchback, if you compare an Qashqai and a Leaf they are basically the same size.

Ah I get you, when I hear American SUV I think of the US style models which are all based on Pickup truck platforms to get around emission requirements. Fortunately we don't seem to have many of them over here. The SUVs in use here are basically a tall hatchback, if you compare an Qashqai and a Leaf they are basically the same size.

I hadn't realised the newer Leaf had gotten so chonky! Even with the dimensions being the same though, there's something about the 'mass' of SUVs, and their bonnet angles, that is much more tank-like and hostile towards younger pedestrians. It's all relative though — parking spaces and road lanes in the US are about 10-20cm wider as standard, and more car-oriented road design there too.

Then again, another thing that's relative is where you live — I'm in South Dublin where the Mercedes GLS and Land Rovers are more frequently seen, and they're pretty monstrous no matter your baseline.

And vice versa. You can't buy an Expedition here for instance. Nor a GMC/Chevy suburban.
    Or a "hot" jeep with the SRT engine etc. Most of those arent brought here, because of stupid EU rules on emissions - whilst allowing dirty diesels from Germans to be sold!

I really hope they get these in before Christmas. I really do.

I've been holding off on an urgently needed trip to Tesco Ennis but daren't chance it unless that long awaited slow charge point is installed & operable.
    Gonna park up for 4+ hours @ €3/hr & suck 11kWs from that sucker :D.

Birr..............not exercised to be honest :D.

Only Ennis and Terrenure left now. Birr was added today. They'll make you wait i'm sure.

giphy.gif
    Only Ennis and Terrenure left now. Birr was added today. They'll make you wait i'm sure.

Conclusive proof Anna from ECars reads this thread is is purposefully targeting me.

I'll never get to Ennis :(.

giphy.gif

Are you reading here, ESB? Even our neighbours across the water now know how it is done.

36 cars can charge at the same time. Of those, 12 can charge at 350kW, a further 12 at 90kW, also 6 Tesla Superchargers and the rest is AC 22kW for the Zoes

Over the next 5 years, this company alone will build a further 100 of these. Plenty of solar panels around too. And battery storage. Open 24/7 and it looks like you won't die of hunger / thirst either.

Linky

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was amazed with the quote in the IT article the other day.

The U.K. installs more fast chargers every 30 days than there are total fast chargers on the entire island of Ireland.

Meanwhile. Tesco. Job done.

• Advertisement

I was amazed with the quote in the IT article the other day.

The U.K. installs more fast chargers every 30 days than there are total fast chargers on the entire island of Ireland.

Meanwhile. Tesco. Job done.

But guys! Tesco! Every.. Little... Helps! Have to applaud ecars on that one! Best €20m joke I know.

Advertisement