Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I still think you need at least 2 Chademo plugs in each site, if one is broken then you've no backup, and for a Leaf24 that typically means you can't make the next charger

Think so too. More CCS coming online, but CHAdeMO are still high users.
    In the last week

TYPE_COMBO_GERMANY 1.15 weeks of use

TYPE_4_CHADEMO 6.81 days of use.

Not much in it to warrant CCS having double the number of plugs compared to CHAdeMO. That said, without more chargers than needed you never know what type car is waiting to charge, if any.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Kramer wrote: »
    It's doubtful 3 cars were using DC simultaneously IMO, but possible. The split Delta chargers may just show "occupied" or "unavailable", whether one or both halves are in use.
    Or not.

It's ECars so..........:pac:.

Then again, if CCS cars are on both the 50kW & 150kW Delta, no further CCS car can charge, so returning "unavailable" would be reasonable.
    Similarly, two Chademo cars on both units would mean no additional Chademo car could charge.

A third CCS car could charge though, if physically able to reach the cable.

Correct. I filter by socket type, and return the status of the site for that socket. Charging means all plugs for that socket type are in use. Available means at least 1 unit with a plug for that socket type is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Kramer wrote: »
    OK, OK, we'll stick a 7kW Type 2 AC socket there for you too (or is the Leaf 24 Type 1?).

:P.

Type 1 3.3kW, I'd be faster walking :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

So far I've seen little signs that we need to focus on putting more than 2 units per site.

Definitely historical data should be used to prioritise sites. I take my backup ICE on long trips so your data won't reflect that. We also have a lockdown where you should not leave your county. Lots of new EVs have been sold recently.

For example I am going Dublin to Donegal town over Xmas. With 2 kids in car at peak time just after lockdown is reduced I expect Kells 150kW charger to be in use on a Friday evening, and while there is a few new 50kW+ chargers on the N3 route, there is far from a guarantee that the one I pick will be free and work when I get there.

From an ESB financial point of view it might not make sense, but people are buying 40/ 50,000 euro+ cars just so they don't have to deal with en-route charging on long trips. My car is well capable of making the trip half way to a DC charger, but charger anxiety means I will bring the ICE and fork out 50 euro on petrol. This is why I won't recommend small battery EVs to those who make trips beyond range more than once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Bjørn Nyland actually made a video during the summer on types of chargers they use in Norway and how they are configured in regards of charging split.

It's a serious good watch and explains a lot, why things go .. wrong .. sometimes.

The only chargers atm, that have a fluent split, seem to be the Tesla superchargers.

Ionity build a hub at every charge location to ensure, that full capacity is available for all chargers.

And well .. everyone else seem to stack them somehow. Often in 75kW splits. But depending on who arrives first, the second car may get nothing.

And I agree with him: those Kempower chargers are pretty awesome and well thought through. I don't think we have any of them here in Ireland though.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Is it just me but who designed these charging places? Basically only one space is usable. Also if someone would take the 2nd place I probably would be blocked in. And if the left one would be used that there's no hope in hell I would be able to reverse in the right one.

Is it just me but who designed these charging places? Basically only one space is usable. Also if someone would take the 2nd place I probably would be blocked in. And if the left one would be used that there's no hope in hell I would be able to reverse in the right one.

People who don't drive EVs, which is pretty much the root of all the problems with Ecars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Wow, that is positively space age compared to the brand new ones in Tipperary & Mallow Tesco locations :eek:.

Tipperary - pitch dark..............

A0G2jih.jpg

Mallow..........

BamkORy.jpg

:cool:.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's Tesco Roselawn. So long as both cars are parked within the green boxes there's plenty of room to parallel park. You may have to park facing the wrong direction, but I don't particularly see that as problematic.

liamog wrote: »
    You may have to park facing the wrong direction, but I don't particularly see that as problematic.

IF !!! you are able to parallel park :) ... Plenty of people out there, that don't even know how to reverse.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What's wrong with that? Plenty of space compared to many.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Marlow wrote: »
    IF !!! you are able to parallel park :) ... Plenty of people out there, that don't even know how to reverse.

Can't blame a well spaced space just because some people can't handle basic vehicle handling skills :D

liamog wrote: »
    Can't blame a well spaced space just because some people can't handle basic vehicle handling skills :D

Oh .. I don't disagree .. I have zero issues with those 2 charging spots. They may actually be more handy than a lot of other ones.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

They could've picked a place not in the corner of the car park with a pedestrian walkway right next to it. Just my opinion:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I know this was discussed before, but just wanted some confirmation or if something had changed.
    If I'm using an Ecars 50kw charge point. I plug into my CCS car. 10 mins later a Leaf driver plugs in what happens to my charging. I assumed the Nissan Leaf driver wouldn't be able activate the charge point and visa versa, if I came along when a Nissan leaf was plugged in? I could not activate the CCS plug?

Nothing has changed. The leaf driver plugging in on chademo may end your CCS session.

Speaking of badly placed chargers, the DC charger in Cullenmore can only charger Chademo from the left hand space. The spaces are those weird andlged ones and the Chademo cable doesn't reach far enough to the right hand space

CCS seems okay as I've seen i3s plugged in at both spaces

https://www.plugshare.com/location/68344

Seriously, you'd think a basic check would highlight these issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

An article about the brilliant ecars network https://www.thetimes.co.uk/static/esb-better-tomorrow/?region=ie
    "To date, more than €50m has been invested in charging facilities across Ireland to ensure that they are made available to as many communities as possible."
    ESB announced earlier this year that it is upgrading its charging network as part of a €20m investment, part-funded by the Irish government’s Climate Action Fund.

last year in April.

Several hubs, which can charge up to three vehicles and have a high-powered charger and fast charger side by side, have been installed at locations across the country, including Kilcullen (M9), Portlaoise Plaza (M7/M8), Galway Plaza (M6) and Kells (M3).
    So-called superhubs, on the other hand, can charge between four and eight vehicles at the same time on the 150kW chargers. These hubs are more suited to motorway and national routes.

Is any of the hubs left out or several is in this case all the 4 locations with 1 rapid and one high power chargers?
    Now we have chargers (2cars), hubs (4cars) and superhubs (8cars). I see a 2^n recurrence here. I'm afraid by the time we get to gridserve size they will have used up all superlatives. What's next ultra?

innrain wrote: »
    I'm afraid by the time we get to gridserve size they will have used up all superlatives. What's next ultra?

Ludicrous and Plaid next :)

/M

Ludicrous and Plaid next :)

/M

M.E.G.A hubs

Make
    Ecars
    Great
    Again

Although the again would imply that is was good at some point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

"One of the things that people don’t necessarily realise is that domestic vehicles aren’t the only type of vehicle in that figure. It includes battery-electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, commercial vans, trucks and electric buses,” he says.

So how many trailer friendly HPC stalls have been commissioned so far? In future, builders and couriers with a company fuel card might not be too bothered about cost €€€. Vans with trailers or long wheel base will need to be catered for.

Will these super hubs have dedicated 150 kW CCS plugs or Delta units that load split, which for example, can't guarantee 115 kW that E-Transit can take?

• Advertisement

M.E.G.A hubs

If in doubt, you can always add a plus. So: Hub plus, superhub plus etc.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If in doubt, you can always add a plus. So: Hub plus, superhub plus etc.

/M

Yeah, or “platinum” for when gold don’t quite cut it any more!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Someone down in Waterford anyway with balls of steel going to this place after dark.......

536132.jpeg

Someone down in Waterford anyway with balls of steel going to this place after dark.......

536132.jpeg

Is that our favourite petrol station owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40190460.html

Eamon Ryan says we’re falling behind and need forecourts with lots of charge points. Which is what everyone here has been saying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ireland was one of the first countries to have a charging infrastructure that "really put us up ahead of the pack" but "we have fallen behind from where we need to be" in 2020, Mr Ryan said

Is that because there were feck all cars.... and probably more chargers than cars back then??

Yes.
    And at the time (2010-12) it was expected that all cars would have 22kW AC as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes.
    And at the time (2010-12) it was expected that all cars would have 22kW AC as standard.

That's funny. At the time there were about a half dozen mainstream EVs for sale in the world but none of them (apart from Zoe) had 22kW AC charging as standard.

A more reasonable expectation would have been that all cars would have CHAdeMO DC fast charging as standard. Although even by as early as 2010, CCS was looking like the DC fast charging standard in the making.

unkel wrote: »
    That's funny. At the time there were about a half dozen mainstream EVs for sale in the world but none of them (apart from Zoe) had 22kW AC charging as standard.

A more reasonable expectation would have been that all cars would have CHAdeMO DC fast charging as standard. Although even by as early as 2010, CCS was looking like the DC fast charging standard in the making.
    It was probably a result of lobbying be Renault, combined with a (logical) expectation based on the renault nissan alliance.

CCS didnt come out till 2014. In 2011 Chademo was the prevailing global standard and looking like remaining that way until some germans decided they didnt like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I see your Chademo and raise you Betamax. :D

Advertisement