Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I see your Chademo and raise you Betamax. :D

Can you send me the HD DVD about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    CCS didnt come out till 2014. In 2011 Chademo was the prevailing global standard and looking like remaining that way until some germans decided they didnt like it!

CCS was already on the cards in 2010. But obviously no cars had it until a few years later. European car manufactures (which in fairness still have the overwhelming market share in the EU) were never going to fit the already outdated Japanese CHAdeMO system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

innrain wrote: »
    An article about the brilliant ecars network https://www.thetimes.co.uk/static/esb-better-tomorrow/?region=ie
    "To date, more than €50m has been invested in charging facilities across Ireland to ensure that they are made available to as many communities as possible."
    ESB announced earlier this year that it is upgrading its charging network as part of a €20m investment, part-funded by the Irish government’s Climate Action Fund.

last year in April.

Several hubs, which can charge up to three vehicles and have a high-powered charger and fast charger side by side, have been installed at locations across the country, including Kilcullen (M9), Portlaoise Plaza (M7/M8), Galway Plaza (M6) and Kells (M3).
    So-called superhubs, on the other hand, can charge between four and eight vehicles at the same time on the 150kW chargers. These hubs are more suited to motorway and national routes.

Is any of the hubs left out or several is in this case all the 4 locations with 1 rapid and one high power chargers?
    Now we have chargers (2cars), hubs (4cars) and superhubs (8cars). I see a 2^n recurrence here. I'm afraid by the time we get to gridserve size they will have used up all superlatives. What's next ultra?

Popped up as a paid facebook ad for me paid by ESB ecars. So now our money is paying for newspaper articles. They seem to suggest we will get one real (super)hub soon and that's about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    It was probably a result of lobbying be Renault, combined with a (logical) expectation based on the renault nissan alliance.

CCS didnt come out till 2014. In 2011 Chademo was the prevailing global standard and looking like remaining that way until some germans decided they didnt like it!

First CCS chargers were mid 2013 (VW and BMW), e-Up! was the first production car with CCS in late 2013 followed very closely by the i3 and e-Golf.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

zg3409 wrote: »
    Popped up as a paid facebook ad for me paid by ESB ecars. So now our money is paying for newspaper articles. They seem to suggest we will get one real (super)hub soon and that's about it.

monasterevin

If this is to be believed, there are 5 hubs planned, and over 50 hubs total, for completion by 2023.

https://www.esb.ie/ecars/our-network/network-upgrades
    Further hub locations planned include:

Monasterevin, Co Kildare
    Ballinalack, Co Westmeath (N4)
    Carrick on Shannon, Co Leitrim
    Lahey, Co Donegal
    Athlone, Co Westmeath
    Over 50 x 3-8 vehicle charging hubs
    ESB is continuing to assess other suitable sites on motorways and national road networks, with the aim of delivering over fifty high power (50-150kW) charging hubs...... More site locations will be announced in the coming months. The project will run until 2023.

caf-map-with-wavee4ae612d46d164eb900aff0000c22e36.jpg

Interesting how car charging locations are indicative, though the new 50kW site locations are probably mostly the ac->DC upgrades, of which there will be 50 total. I count about 43 new DC units, so that's likely means no new sites for lone 50kW units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Popped up as a paid facebook ad for me paid by ESB ecars. So now our money is paying for newspaper articles.

Yes, good spot.
    BROUGHT TO YOU BY

So this "article" is a paid for ad, paid for largely with tax, eulogizing about how great ECars are & how they are doing such a great job :rolleyes:.

At least Eir & EasyGo got column inches & PR a few days ago, national radio time too, for free :pac:.

ECars trailing along behind, as usual, using taxpayer funds................

Is there anything to be said for having a mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

JohnC. wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40190460.html

Eamon Ryan says we’re falling behind and need forecourts with lots of charge points. Which is what everyone here has been saying.

Hey, someone in a position to make decisions is finally acknowledging there's a problem, I think that's progress

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

JohnC. wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40190460.html

Eamon Ryan says we’re falling behind and need forecourts with lots of charge points. Which is what everyone here has been saying.

He's now in government, IS the line minister, yet is still calling for action, just as he did, 3 years ago, in opposition :rolleyes:.

https://greennews.ie/greens-call-mandated-charging-points-electric-vehicles/

Green-Party-Launch-1098x732.jpg

Worthless rhetoric :(.

How about 10+ years ago, when he again, was minister for transport?

lHF8k9V.jpg

2009. 2010.................

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2020/0311/1121681-electric-car-charging-points/

2021...................progress at last..............

BamkORy.jpg

We're in good hands :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

For anyone who missed last month, don't forget to switch to PAYG before the monthly bill gets added today.

Yaaaay for Tesco Limerick!! Kudos to them for their 145km in 60 minute, dual chargers, decarbonising mission, customer appreciation, green initiative.

Every little helps :pac:.

Fab journalism, bang on the money, right down to the picture of the chargers.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/motoring-news/596406/new-electric-car-charge-points-installed-in-limerick-towns.html

1608143931064_1608143959.jpg--new_electric_car_charge_points_installed_in_limerick_towns.jpg?1608143959000

I'm still awaiting Black_Knight's announcement of the Ennis Tesco install - I'm quite desperate at this stage & may have to resort to public transport :eek:.

:D.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    Yaaaay for Tesco Limerick!! Kudos to them for their 145km in 60 minute, dual chargers, decarbonising mission, customer appreciation, green initiative.

Every little helps :pac:.

Fab journalism, bang on the money, right down to the picture of the chargers.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/motoring-news/596406/new-electric-car-charge-points-installed-in-limerick-towns.html

1608143931064_1608143959.jpg--new_electric_car_charge_points_installed_in_limerick_towns.jpg?1608143959000

I'm still awaiting Black_Knight's announcement of the Ennis Tesco install - I'm quite desperate at this stage & may have to resort to public transport :eek:.

Not wrong about the range. A Zoe could get 145km in an hour, though it paints an unrealistic picture of the usefulness of these units.

The DC unit pictured it just ignorant journalism. Actually no idea where that unit is!? The Circontrol Raption 50 I know of on plugshare don't seem to look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

Any sign of a fast charger between cork and Limerick, I took a cork Limerick cork journey recently in my little leaf and it was not pleasant.
    I understand it's not a problem for bigger battery cars,but there is going to be a lot of leafs on the road for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

jhegarty wrote: »
    For anyone who missed last month, don't forget to switch to PAYG before the monthly bill gets added today.

Thanks... so much for this:

http://esb.ie/ecars/news/2020/2020/05/07/esb-ecars-to-give-two-months-free-subscription-to-support-membership-ev-drivers-during-covid-19-travel-restrictions

TJJP wrote: »

It was free for those who missed the 12 month free offer, and actually paid for a subscription.

ltd440 wrote: »
    Any sign of a fast charger between cork and Limerick, I took a cork Limerick cork journey recently in my little leaf and it was not pleasant.
    I understand it's not a problem for bigger battery cars,but there is going to be a lot of leafs on the road for a long time.

No. There's bypass/motorway proposals ongoing isn't there? That'd put a halt to any potential units going in. Future of the route is too uncertain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

It was free for those who missed the 12 month free offer, and actually paid for a subscription.

Yes, seems so, thanks. I was hedging my bets. No free lunch there it turns out.

TJJP wrote: »
    Yes, seems so, thanks. I was hedging my bets. No free lunch there it turns out.

Some hope

caf-map-with-wavee4ae612d46d164eb900aff0000c22e36.jpg

Blue are new 150kW "hubs" for 3-8 cars
    Green are new DC units. Charleville perhaps? Project of installing these new hubs will run until 2023. Doesn't say complete by then mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some hope

Yeah. If you can wait until 2040 (I'm not making this up, see the picture above). And that's their target. We all know how well that goes.

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah. If you can wait until 2040 (I'm not making this up, see the picture above). And that's their target. We all know how well that goes.

I seen that... Then ignored it out of will for progress. 1m electric vehicles by 2030, infrastructure by 2040.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »

That's not what the 2040 marker refers to, Project Ireland 2040 is an overall strategic framework for public capital investment from 2018 to 2027 designed to support predicted needs towards 2040 projections. Just as we previously had the National Development Plan, and Transport 21. Funding for the current eCars programme of work is included in the plan.

Don't worry it will be rebranded as "The One Ireland Project" when Sinn Fein come in at the next election and we'll finally get a joined up plan for the North, but charger installations will be contingent on the reported religion of users of each service station :p

• Advertisement

I seen that... Then ignored it out of will for progress. 1m electric vehicles by 2030, infrastructure by 2040.

RTE News, March 2010:

Ireland started a transport revolution today, according to Energy Minister Eamon Ryan with 1,500 so-called “juice points” due to be turned on by the end of next year (2011).

This public infrastructure is part of a government plan to have ten per cent of all cars being electric by the year 2020 It's < 0.8% today, probably < 0.5%, if excluding PHEVs/hybrids etc.

Speaking at the launch of the initiative Eamon Ryan said,

It’s going to be in everyone’s home in a number of years decades, he means :rolleyes:.

The plan means that there will be a charging point in every town in Ireland with a population of over 1,500 people There isn't.

How are those for predictions from then minister for transport :eek:.
    1,500 charge points promised 10 years ago & still nowhere near that - under 1,100 according to ESB themselves, approaching 2021.

Fingers crossed the current minister for transport will do something different.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2020/0311/1121681-electric-car-charging-points/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Oh really.........

536500.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Oh really.........

536500.jpeg

Please send us a link, I'm sure they'd love to hear from everyone on this forum :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Facebook message from ESB. They seem to be counting sites that had 50kW chargers 10 years ago
    📣 Last year, Tesco Ireland and ESB announced the rollout of new standard 22kW AC chargers which would be installed in Tesco car parks right across the country. We are delighted to confirm that this rollout has been completed.

⚡️ You can visit these charge points at the following Tesco locations:

🚘 Co. Carlow
    📌 Tullow
    📌 Carlow

🚘 Co. Cavan
    📌 Bailieborough

🚘 Co, Clare
    📌 Kilrush

🚘 Co. Cork
    📌 Mitchelstown
    📌 Mallow
    📌 Youghal

🚘 Co. Dublin
    📌 Swords Hollywell
    📌 Cabra
    📌 Rathmines
    📌 Rush
    📌 Blanchardstown
    📌 Lucan
    📌 Clarehall
    📌 Bettystown
    📌 Liffey Valley
    📌 Artaine Castle
    📌 Clondalkin
    📌 Finglas Clearwater

🚘 Co. Galway
    📌 Ballinasloe

🚘 Co. Kerry
    📌 Killarney Park

🚘 Co. Kildare
    📌 Maynooth
    📌 Naas Metro
    📌 Kildare Village
    📌 Newbridge
    📌 Celbridge
    📌 Clane
    📌 Naas Extra
    📌 Bray

🚘 Co. Limerick
    📌 Newcastle West
    📌 Abbeyfeale

🚘 Co. Louth
    📌 Drogheda Extra
    📌 Dundalk

🚘 Co. Mayo
    📌 Ballinrobe
    📌 Ballina
    📌 Swinford

🚘 Co. Offfaly
    📌 Edenderry
    📌 Birr

🚘 Co. Tipperary
    📌 Tipperary
    📌 Nenagh

🚘 Co. Waterford
    📌 Ballybeg
    📌 Poleberry
    📌 Tramore

🚘 Co. Westmeath
    📌 Mullingar
    📌 Kinnegad

🚘 Co. Wexford
    📌 New Ross
    📌 Gorey
    📌 Wexford Extra

🚘 Co. Wicklow
    📌 Greystones
    📌 Arklow
    📌 Wicklow

📱 See our full charging network on our 'ecar connect' app (available on Google Play and App Store) or our real-time map: https://esb.ie/ecars/charge-point-map

Facebook message from ESB. They seem to be counting sites that had 50kW chargers 10 years ago

So no Tesco Ennis for Kramer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re the earlier comment on Super Hubs, what a crock, Tesla have a 24 stall hub near Heathrow, fair enough that's a population/activity hot spot but still that's nowhere near their biggest.
    Think 6 is their lowest stall hub in Ireland, for mention of that number being a Super is a joke, that's what they should be aiming for as a minimum, not the aspiration to call six Super, FFS eCars

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Kramer wrote: »
    Conclusive proof Anna from ECars reads this thread is is purposefully targeting me.

I'll never get to Ennis :(.

giphy.gif

I should have kept stumm. I've put the kibosh on it now.
    My apologies to the people of Ennis - I won't be seeing you this year, I'm not risking it :pac:.

slave1 wrote: »
    Re the earlier comment on Super Hubs, what a crock,

I think eCars logic is.......

≤ 2 = cluster
    ≤ 3 = hub
    ≤ 4 = superhub

4 or more:

top-head-exploding-gif.gif?ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Was charging at a 50kW charger in Cork at the weekend and was there 55mins and added about 35kW or so.

Got charged the €4.60 overstay fee but was only charged for 12kW of energy consumed!! So worked out OK in the end!

Also charged at the M8 Cashel 50kW the day before and was charging for 45:31 but thankfully didn’t get charged the overstay fee that time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Wouldn’t it be great if they started installing the old replaced AC22’s in banks in car parks at train stations or somewhere similar... reduce them to 7kW, and have a sh1t ton of them at train station car parks or park and ride facilities....

They were somewhat unreliable? Ok so just install 10 of them capable of charging 20 cars at each location.

Or better still, just give them away and let someone use them as free vend charge units at their locations. Thinking cinemas and the like.. otherwise they’re just going to be scrapped right?

Advertisement