Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

I got out of work early Yesterday and wanted to stop in at Camile in Kilcullen for my Dinner and by the time I got there I had 8% charge after using the car for work, there was a Tesla and I think a Kona charging. I went in and found Camile closed and only poxy McDonalds open so I went back and sat in the car took 20 mins for 1 of the chargers to become available. Only I was yapping on the phone I would have left.

It's a real disgrace we don't have proper hubs now since 2011.

Glad I kept the Rex.......

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I got out of work early Yesterday and wanted to stop in at Camile in Kilcullen for my Dinner and by the time I got there I had 8% charge after using the car for work, there was a Tesla and I think a Kona charging. I went in and found Camile closed and only poxy McDonalds open so I went back and sat in the car took 20 mins for 1 of the chargers to become available. Only I was yapping on the phone I would have left.

It's a real disgrace we don't have proper hubs now since 2011.

Glad I kept the Rex.......

Yeah, kilcullen was busy enough yesterday. Always a CHAdeMO available, but CCS was fully in use for over 2 hours. Particularly between 5 and 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Yeah, kilcullen was busy enough yesterday. Always a CHAdeMO available, but CCS was fully in use for over 2 hours. Particularly between 5 and 7pm

Just proves more CCS are required on site. The place is massive and all was installed was a couple of CCS units. It’s a bloody disgrace. HUB, my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Wouldn’t it be great if they started installing the old replaced AC22’s in banks in car parks at train stations or somewhere similar... reduce them to 7kW, and have a sh1t ton of them at train station car parks or park and ride facilities....

Whatever about banks, train stations are ideal for tonnes of cheap 3.5/7kW charge points.

Irishjg wrote: »
    Just proves more CCS are required on site. The place is massive and all was installed was a couple of CCS units. It’s a bloody disgrace. HUB, my arse.

It's only 1 day of data, but yes, from what I see over the last week, CCS is in full use about twice as much as CHAdeMO in kilcullen. Which, to my eyes would imply both are needed, but CCS requires a 3rd socket.

Over 7 days, 6 hours CCS was in full use, 2.4 hours CHAdeMO was in full use. Granted it's a site with more redundancy so drivers will gravitate to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

markpb wrote: »
    Whatever about banks, train stations are ideal for tonnes of cheap 3.5/7kW charge points.

By banks, I meant banks of multiple chargers, not the places that charge us interest on our money, and then charge us more to get our money.....

Y banks, I meant banks of multiple chargers, not the places that charge us interest on out money, and then charge us more to get our money.....

That’s what I get for trying to parent and read boards at the same time :)

It really is a sad state to think that the first chargers were installed in 2011 and this is the best we have today, have to pay to Queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

Can't access either 22kw charger in killarney. Cones blocking one side and am smax on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

loopymum wrote: »
    Can't access either 22kw charger in killarney. Cones blocking one side and am smax on the other side.

Yeah, I think I'd be moving those cones. The charger seems to be live, the green light is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Will it ever be possible to charge a car in say 6 minutes, the same time it would take to fill a car with fuel. To get to the point that there is Electric Stations, just like petrol stations, and one can simply drive in, hook up, 5 minutes later away you go.

What is stopping the flow of such power into a battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Will it ever be possible to charge a car in say 6 minutes, the same time it would take to fill a car with fuel. To get to the point that there is Electric Stations, just like petrol stations, and one can simply drive in, hook up, 5 minutes later away you go.

Nothing is stopping it, in fact those batteries already exist:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/charge-a-car-battery-in-5-minutes-thats-the-plan/amp

Now it’s just a matter of refining and miniaturising the technology so that it’s cheap enough and small enough to fit into a car without being a hypothetical bomb.

Make no mistake though, if society still exists in 20 years, we will be fully charging 600km range EVs in less than 10 minutes. I’d say that’s even a conservative estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Crime scene ?

Fresh paint? Don't think it was painted when I was there last month

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well we're going places with the Tesla Model 3 and V3 Tesla Superchargers, here's a table pulled from a real world charging session as documented on xautoworld.com showing a 50% charge (with 150miles/241kms) gained in just over 11minutes.

Not bad,eh?

Table-Model3-V3-Supercharging-Time.jpg?v=1572276273

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Needed to pop into the Pavillions today for a few minutes, and was a little low on juice so decided to pay the premium for a slow charge but with a prime parking space....

There was a BMW PHEV in the space beside me not charging, and as I was sitting in the car waiting for herself, BMW couple returned and simply unplugged their cable and stowed it and drove off.... (so they knew full well they were not charging as they didn’t try to ‘end’ the session that had never started...

So I guess this’ll be the new thing now... no longer will the AC’s be occupied because they were free, they’ll be occupied and not even charging because they are simply in a premium location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

I've seen it in Dundrum with both EVs and PHEVs. The funny bit is that the BMW is charging at 3kW and it would have costed the owner less than 1 quid per hour.

Needed to pop into the Pavillions today for a few minutes, and was a little low on juice so decided to pay the premium for a slow charge but with a prime parking space....

There was a BMW PHEV in the space beside me not charging, and as I was sitting in the car waiting for herself, BMW couple returned and simply unplugged their cable and stowed it and drove off.... (so they knew full well they were not charging as they didn’t try to ‘end’ the session that had never started...

So I guess this’ll be the new thing now... no longer will the AC’s be occupied because they were free, they’ll be occupied and not even charging because they are simply in a premium location.

Checking my data, only a daily max of about 2% of the slow chargers are occupied. Now I'm not exactly sure how accurate that is, given that the site will only say occupied if both ports are in use, and im not sure if both need to be occupied for that status to display.

I hear ya though. Anecdotally I've certainly seen more occupiers since fees came in

What type of chargers are there? I rarely have to actually end sessions on ESB AC chargers thanks to the way the i3 interrupts the charge when you unlock the car.

MJohnston wrote: »
    What type of chargers are there? I rarely have to actually end sessions on ESB AC chargers thanks to the way the i3 interrupts the charge when you unlock the car.

It was a wall mounted unit similar in design to the new AC’s they’ve been installing and upgrading to, but just as a wall mounted version.

• Advertisement

It was a wall mounted unit similar in design to the new AC’s they’ve been installing and upgrading to, but just as a wall mounted version.

Yeah I’ve never had to “end session” with those types of chargers (they have them in Liffey Valley Tesco) with the i3. May not be the same with BMW PHEVs but maybe it is?

The BMW definitely wasn’t charging as when I started my session, the screen was saying to unplug, and the A side was showing as available...

The BMW definitely wasn’t charging as when I started my session, the screen was saying to unplug, and the A side was showing as available...

Fair enough, just saying that a casual unplug and drive off isn’t an indication that someone wasn’t charging alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Shows the futility of having single chargers at motorway services.

If he had been on the way to Shannon from Dublin, in a 200km motorway range car, he'd have had to make a good 10 minute detour to a hotel in Nenagh (next DC on M7) & hope that wasn't ICE'd or occupied or out of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

One DC per site is a total joke. Nice review though.

Kramer wrote: »
    Shows the futility of having single chargers at motorway services.

It'll be carnage on bank holiday weekends next year when (hopefully) Covid starts to go away and a pile of ID3s are on the road that weren't there in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

It'll be carnage on bank holiday weekends next year when (hopefully) Covid starts to go away and a pile of ID3s are on the road that weren't there in 2019.

I'm sure they will have fixed all the software problems by then :):)

Decent range on id3 though, so not as impactful as previous cars on they public network. I hear you though. Lots more cars, not exactly a corresponding increase in fcp in motorways. The few hubs should help a bit, but outside of those it can only be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

optimal wrote: »
    I'm sure they will have fixed all the software problems by then :):)

In their defense the latest software update does seem to have fixed most of the major issues

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

In their defense the latest software update does seem to have fixed most of the major issues

What were the major issues fixed? Id3 ones or ecars ones? Because id3 software updates wouldn't affect the numbers at chargers, but if ecars sorted the CHAdeMO overruling CCS issue that'd at least help with first come first served

Advertisement