Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What were the major issues fixed? Id3 ones or ecars ones? Because id3 software updates wouldn't affect the numbers at chargers, but if ecars sorted the CHAdeMO overruling CCS issue that'd at least help with first come first served

Ah, I meant the ID.3 issues, got my wires crossed as to which thread I'm on :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Another SCP -> FCP upgrade today. Came across Dungarvan getting upgraded. It's a bit of a pain if you're using it as a pitstop though. Middle of town, awkward to get to, awkward parking (probably more awkward now there'll be a bigger unit there).

Google Maps:
    https://goo.gl/maps/xwqxJSowizzHzzb9A

Finally a FCP between Waterford and Cork though. Still think there's ample opportunity for EasyGo to get a unit installed on the N25 ring road around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donall.ID.3

Another SCP -> FCP upgrade today. Came across Dungarvan getting upgraded. It's a bit of a pain if you're using it as a pitstop though. Middle of town, awkward to get to, awkward parking (probably more awkward now there'll be a bigger unit there).

Google Maps:

Finally a FCP between Waterford and Cork though. Still think there's ample opportunity for EasyGo to get a unit installed on the N25 ring road around the town.

What is it with Ecars and the obsession with installing FCPs in the middle of towns.

They could have used one of many Fuel stations
    site's dotted along the ring road around Dungarvan.

Zero future planning or ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

What is it with Ecars and the obsession with installing FCPs in the middle of towns.

It's the quickest & easiest way to spend our tax money & inflate their "network expansion" figures. Supply/cabling/planning/spaces already there, just a quick unit swap out.

No facilities there, not even a coffee shop. A dark, dowdy, awkward car park :rolleyes:.

Needed to pop into the Pavillions today for a few minutes, and was a little low on juice so decided to pay the premium for a slow charge but with a prime parking space....

There was a BMW PHEV in the space beside me not charging, and as I was sitting in the car waiting for herself, BMW couple returned and simply unplugged their cable and stowed it and drove off.... (so they knew full well they were not charging as they didn’t try to ‘end’ the session that had never started...

So I guess this’ll be the new thing now... no longer will the AC’s be occupied because they were free, they’ll be occupied and not even charging because they are simply in a premium location.

I decided to pay for the charging to avail of the ideal parking space in pavilions. Did the usual, scanned card, plugged in. Pretty sure the charger errored as I was walking away as it was red in the app when I checked. Tried starting it from the app to no avail.

So I didn't get to charge at all in the end, luckily I didn't really need to charge but it's a bit disappointing. I'll need to go check my ESB card to make sure it hasn't stopped working from lack of use

Also when I got back one of the spaces was ICEed by a white Audi parked badly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The favorite charger strikes again
    132012019_3547511545286574_7187103232444071323_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=qSO8cgK2En4AX_GVWvW&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f6d74251c28829185cc8eb03338ded6f&oe=600822DC

innrain wrote: »
    The favorite charger strikes again
    132012019_3547511545286574_7187103232444071323_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=qSO8cgK2En4AX_GVWvW&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f6d74251c28829185cc8eb03338ded6f&oe=600822DC

Fresh paint? Ecars using up their budget for the year? I've seen a few charging spaces look like they'd gotten painted recently

Google Maps:

CCS available. CHAdeMO says unavailable. Dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Fresh paint? Ecars using up their budget for the year? I've seen a few charging spaces look like they'd gotten painted recently

And the picnic table is gone from the first space!

KCross wrote: »
    And the picnic table is gone from the first space!

I thought that was gone this while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭loopymum

The charging points in the public car park in killarney were being painted yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

kanuseeme wrote: »
    The charger is not on the app . :D:D:D

Ooo, interesting. Waterford has lost a fcp perhaps!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ooo, interesting. Waterford has lost a fcp perhaps!?

I emailed them.the photo to say its blocked but showing available on the app. It does look like new paint so the barriers might be temporary and might be removed soon. In the mean time ESB remove the site from the app as 'nothing to see here' during busiest period in the year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We need a scouting mission set up urgently to see if A. the barriers are still there and B. the unit is still there, and powered up.

Also, if/when it's confirmed the unit is no longer there, we should all send teh shop letters asking where the charger is gone, and how much we miss using it, and shopping in his shop.... everyone sends 5-10 letters over an 8 week period, but each time use a different name...

zg3409 wrote: »
    I emailed them.the photo to say its blocked but showing available on the app. It does look like new paint so the barriers might be temporary and might be removed soon. In the mean time ESB remove the site from the app as 'nothing to see here' during busiest period in the year.

Gotta keep the uptime stats looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I took a detour out by our friend and the barriers were removed. Unit seemed to be in working order. Didn't look like fresh paint on the ground. Another one for the X-Files.

Tried out the new unit in dungarvan this evening. Works grand, but the CCS socket is damn hard to release from the unit! Felt I was going to pull the unit down a few times i was trying to get it out.

Also, yet again, you cannot use the right bay if your charge port is at the rear left of your car.

Tried out the new unit in dungarvan this evening.

Pics or it didn't happen :P.

Seriously though, any quick snap to see if/how far into the space the DC unit protrudes?
    Also, yet again, you cannot use the right bay if your charge port is at the rear left of your car.

Kinda like so....................

V7v29Zz.jpg

Almost two years ago but still they persist with this............it'll never change.

Great having these 50kW DCs but why couldn't they make the small extra effort & do them right?

• Advertisement

IMG-20201222-113154.jpg

As I took that pic, a car behind the camera was pulling out but had to do a few turns to avoid hitting the leaf. The car park has horrendously small spaces and that area has a very narrow channel to drive through. Great to have the DC unit, but the layout of the car park and spaces (not esbs fault) is terrible.

It's worse than the triple in the pic above, since the cables come from the left side of this unit. Ioniq would probably have a better chance plugging in to the left of the leaf above, but that's the road of the car park. For a fast charge maybe that's not too much of an issue

Tried out the new unit in dungarvan this evening. Works grand, but the CCS socket is damn hard to release from the unit! Felt I was going to pull the unit down a few times i was trying to get it out.

I noticed a similar thing on the nice dual CCS charger they have at VW Airside, I think it's so new that the holders for the plugs are really stuff and you practically have to tear it out of the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I noticed a similar thing on the nice dual CCS charger they have at VW Airside, I think it's so new that the holders for the plugs are really stuff and you practically have to tear it out of the thing

I’m not 100% sure but I thought I read somewhere along the threads that you need to push it into the holder first to release the plug off the charger. Maybe someone can confirm. I haven’t been near a public charger since March so apologies I don’t have first hand proof.

IMG-20201222-113154.jpg

As I took that pic........

Why is that leaf on the left using the 2kW AC? Surely it has Chademo?
    Is it because it's a paid carpark unless you're charging?

IIRC, there's no overstay fee if on those new units, on AC, so if that's the reason, that Leaf could park there all day, for free, while pulling 2kW, or even not charging at all, just plugged in.

That all but makes the DC unavailable to a rear left ported CCS car, Ioniq, Tesla Model 3 etc.

So we have an upgraded DC charger we possibly can't use, even if it's physically free, depending on your car's charge port location?

Gawd that'd be so frustrating, needing a charge at an "available" Chademo/CCS fast charger, but being out of luck because someone didn't want to pay for parking :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Kramer wrote: »

It's free parking for BEVs across the board in Waterford. Not just in charging spots (which you are supposed to vacate when finished charging).

I've used one of those chargers 3 times in Waterford City itself and twice there was a Golf using the AC. But it was early in the morning so there's a good chance it was left plugged in overnight. Maybe that Leaf was left plugged in long term too.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I've used one of those chargers 3 times in Waterford City itself and twice there was a Golf using the AC. But it was early in the morning so there's a good chance it was left plugged in overnight. Maybe that Leaf was left plugged in long term too.

So these 2kW AC sockets can cause cars to be abandoned, basically, on one of the two dedicated painted spots, possibly blocking Ioniqs/Model 3s & more, from accessing the DC?

Any of those eGolfs you saw or that Leaf pictured could have fast charged & moved on, but no. Plug in (at 2kW max), clear off for 12 hours (or a few days) & to hell with other BEV owners who need a 20 minute DC fast charge to continue their journey/get home etc.

That's what will happen in other county car parks where charges must be paid, unless charging. Maybe the eGolf(s)/Leaf were visiting from counties with such rules & didn't realise Waterford is free, regardless?

Or they just didn't give a sh1t.
    No deterrent = bad behaviour.

Kramer wrote: »

IIRC, there's no overstay fee if on those new units, on AC, so if that's the reason, that Leaf could park there all day, for free, while pulling 2kW, or even not charging at all, just plugged in.

That all but makes the DC unavailable to a rear left ported CCS car, Ioniq, Tesla Model 3 etc.

So we have an upgraded DC charger we possibly can't use, even if it's physically free, depending on your car's charge port location?

Gawd that'd be so frustrating, needing a charge at an "available" Chademo/CCS fast charger, but being out of luck because someone didn't want to pay for parking :mad:.

CHAdeMO wasn't up and running at the time. It's 22kW AC anyways, they've fixed that with a software update.

That car park has 1 hour free as far as I can remember. IMO AC charging cars should try use the other non EV bays to the right. 5m+ cables give lots of flexibility.

The locations of these DC units will make them prime for being EVd (new term I guess) on trickle charge, this blocking DC charging. All falls back to how ecars choose/accept these bays for their units -these new ones, triple head ones, and the fake hubs too. All configured for failure.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Maybe that Leaf was left plugged in long term too.

Funny enough, I checked my stats and it looks as though that leaf was never charging at all yesterday. Best I can see is the mennekes socket was preparing to start late on the 22nd, and reported a fault the next day about an hour after I left. Could be bad reporting data though. New units, likely to be glitchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I’ve seen more than a few space hoggers in the last week who aren’t actually charging.

One lad in a Merc PHEV at Frascati Centre in particular, I didn’t understand it because he was there before me, left after me (and I was there a good hour), and those are FREE charging stations! Also there’s a fifth EV spot even though there are only four chargers, so he could have taken that one and not blocked anyone.

I always say that driving turns people into assholes, but I think at Christmas, when the car parks are packed, it’s doubly true.

• Advertisement

So what's the deal with these new DC chargers, it's got ChaDeMo and CCS and 2 Kw on AC ?

If someone is charging on 2 Kw AC then no one can use DC ? is this for real ?

Advertisement