Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Flights

• 04-02-2019 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Looking at flights to NY in November. Getting varying prices from 450 to 500+. Then you click in and try to figure out if the price includes a checked bag - it doesn't- so add another 50 to the fare!

What happened to the days of economy, business and first. Includes a bag and off you go! Confused.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Did u try kayak? Gives u lots of options. Would expect to pay less as lots of options on that route. 400 wud b my target price, especially if avoiding weekends. BA thru Heathrow can offer good prices. AA r cheap, but on board experience matches that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The route is highly competitive. Most carriers now have a fare that doesn’t include checked luggage I.e. it allows aerlingus to advertise the whole €179 fare if books as a return trip fares. . Most business/first fares will include 2/3 pieces of 32kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Who travels to NY with no bags!! :)

Been looking at Kayak, skyscanner and the airlines themselves. We can get to Newark cheaper but I've never done that route before so no idea if it's any good or best to stick with JFK for the extra few euro

I do, i used to do biz travel there Monday-Friday and could get away with carry on only.

If I shopped and needed to I bought a cheap duffel bag and checked it in. Just add the checked bag before you check in and you’re golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Id set up alerts on skyscanner/kayak..youll definitely get a better price than that..last time we paid €297..Aer lingus to heathrow, BA to ny..Newark is easy to Manhatten..direct train from airport to grand central. Have you ruled out Norwegian cos of the extra travel?.they will have €89/99 fares in their regular sales.

• Advertisement

Yep looked at Norwegian but had no idea where it went to and how to get from there - a quick google will sort it I know but just scrapped the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep looked at Norwegian but had no idea where it went to and how to get from there - a quick google will sort it I know but just scrapped the idea
    US preclearance at Dublin Airport so cuts out waiting at far side..Stewart airport is tiny so straight off plane into baggage hall..then 30 second walk to coaches waiting outside door to bring you straight into manhattan(1 hour 20 journey)..there are extra charges..baggage,seat selection,food and coach to Manhattan but you dont have to take them all..overall great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Another lover of Norwegian here. I lived in New York and flew in and out of JFK alot and being honest by the time you get out of the terminal, to the airtrain and then into the city its as quick or quicker to get down from Stewart airport. The bus is $20 and brings you straight to Port Authority. Word of warning though, they can be exact on carry on but a checked bag is only $40 each way and worth it for the peace of mind. You still do preclearance in Dublin and the staff have been very good in my experience. I love flying British Airways but that means going via Heathrow. Aer Lingus were pretty meh the last two turns I flew to New York with them and I'm not in a mad rush to book with them again- the price difference often isn't worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Too early. There will be a sale at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Looking at flights to NY in November. Getting varying prices from 450 to 500+. Then you click in and try to figure out if the price includes a checked bag - it doesn't- so add another 50 to the fare!

What happened to the days of economy, business and first. Includes a bag and off you go! Confused.com

Just wondering are you booking flights and acc seperately? I booked my whole hol with cassidys travel and i checked prices seperately and couldnt compete with them got a seriously good deal so check them out.

• Advertisement

revoke12 wrote: »
    Just wondering are you booking flights and acc seperately? I booked my whole hol with cassidys travel and i checked prices seperately and couldnt compete with them got a seriously good deal so check them out.

Oddly we booked with Cassidy! No matter what I tried I couldn't get any better than the price they gave us - especially as the hotel is central - 5 of us going to wanted to lock it down and we can pay as and when!

Oddly we booked with Cassidy! No matter what I tried I couldn't get any better than the price they gave us - especially as the hotel is central - 5 of us going to wanted to lock it down and we can pay as and when!

Brillant - i found their prices un beatable and the payment scheme was very handy too. had no issues with them anyway and will def book with them again. Enjoy the trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Maybe not the correct thread, but was just wondering what time I would want to leave myself for arriving at the airport if my flight is at 10.50.

My local airport bus that leaves at 5.30 arrives at 7.30 or thereabouts, the 6AM one arrives at 8.15AM. I'm assuming the earliest the better?

If you're going to the US: arrive 3 hours, elsewhere arrive 2 hours before scheduled departure.

Maybe not the correct thread, but was just wondering what time I would want to leave myself for arriving at the airport if my flight is at 10.50.

My local airport bus that leaves at 5.30 arrives at 7.30 or thereabouts, the 6AM one arrives at 8.15AM. I'm assuming the earliest the better?

Defo be there for the 7.30 am when going to the states the time flies

Advertisement