Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from AIB to KBC

• 04-02-2019 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Thinking of moving from AIB to KBC. While i have a 2k overdraft facility I am close to 10k in my account. If I move my account will the overdraft follow me over as a facility with KBC?

Also anyone has any experience switching from AIB to KBC, just a bit wary of the move...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You'd apply for the overdraft facility with KBC.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Is there a reason you want to move to KBC? I did it over a year ago to avail of the interest rate offered on their savings accounts but the minute another bank can match that, I will be leaving them. I've found that anything out of the ordinary with them is a problem whereas with my previous bank(s) Ulster Bank and Bank of Ireland I'd never had any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Sick of AIB to be honest.... find them unhelpful at best of times if an issue arises. But if KBC are as bad???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well...at least you'll get a better interest rate for your 10k :) I've never banked with AIB so i can't comment on whether they are better or worse, hopefully someone else here can help you with that aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

KBC charges €6 per quarter which I think is a bit on the steep side.
    Whatever I earned in interest is largely wiped out by the these fees and DIRT, so I wrote to them last week to close my accounts.
    I get free banking with AIB as I have my mortgage with them, and I am looking at alternative saving accounts. I’m happy with them for day-to-day banking, but I don’t think they have any competitive saving options. Generally, I have always found AIB very helpful, they were really fantastic and hands-on when I was going through the mortgage process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

Kbc have free banking once you lodge 2500 a month.
    I've been with them since getting a mortgage & haven't had any problems. They only have a few branches around so if you need to lodge something it can be a pain but otherwise they're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Currently have account with both. Opened kbc account about a year ago. Lots of hassle opening the account. Internet banking and app far inferior to aib's offering. Never really need to contact either bank about anything, so can't comment on that. The only reason I have the kbc account is for the savings account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i will admit the app on ios is good for AIB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

raxy wrote: »
    Inc have free banking once you lodge 2500 a month.
    I've been with them since getting a mortgage & haven't had any problems. They only have a few branches around so if you need to lodge something it can be a pain but otherwise they're fine.

This. To balance the negative posts a bit. I've never had a problem with KBC. They had offered my an overdraft and I took one but when I found out there was a charge just for having one, I cancelled it, no hassle. Sounds like you don't actually need one.

Deposit more than 2.5k so no fees for me. Mortgage is 2.6% and savings are still over 2% too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

I also switched my credit card to Kbc. Each month i get about €10 in cashback for using the card to make purchases.

I did have a few issues with getting the mortgage but our solicitor told us it's normal with all banks & that kbc were actually 1 of the better banks.

The app/online banking isn't as good as aib but they're also a fraction of the size. For me it's worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement