Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buncrana Fire

• 04-02-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭

Terrible news for the town. Barr's shop and The Plaza destroyed and The Excelsior Bar damaged...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sad alright. The town had enough empty shop fronts without two more. Only plus side is there was no loss of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

No Plaza and John Barrs, no swimming pool, no new school yet for scoil Iosagain school, no site for Crana College, huge dole office and garda station. Serious infrastructural investment needed. What are the chances of that happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

No Plaza and John Barrs, no swimming pool, no new school yet for scoil Iosagain school, no site for Crana College, huge dole office and garda station. Serious infrastructural investment needed. What are the chances of that happening?

none whatsoever same as the rest of donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

see a go fund me page was opened for the plaza with a target of 250 thousand you would have thought they would get the insurance

Does anyone know who owns it. And who would of been responsible for insurance.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know who owns it. And who would of been responsible for insurance.

Brian Flanagan of flanagans furniture used to have something to do with it as well as 3 or 4 others.

probably the girl who runs it would have looked after everything

lulu1 wrote: »
    Brian Flanagan of flanagans furniture used to have something to do with it as well as 3 or 4 others.

probably the girl who runs it would have looked after everything

I just took for granted it would of been insured as a requirement seeing it was a venue for big crowds.
    Could of been public liability only or maybe the insurance won't pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I just took for granted it would of been insured as a requirement seeing it was a venue for big crowds.
    Could of been public liability only or maybe the insurance won't pay out.

The fire started in Barr's shop. There's a rumour that he wasn't insured.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sp have I got this right then? A business premises gets destroyed by fire and the owners or someone associated with the owners set up a go fund me page looking for donations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ah sure you only need to have stubbed your toe to get a gofundme rolling these days.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Sp have I got this right then? A business premises gets destroyed by fire and the owners or someone associated with the owners set up a go fund me page looking for donations?

Yip but for the plaza only no word of John Barr's shop which was also destroyed
    The target was 25 thousand I think they are up to around 1,300 so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lulu1 wrote: »
    Yip but for the plaza only no word of John Barr's shop which was also destroyed
    The target was 25 thousand I think they are up to around 1,300 so far

ahem, 250,000
    https://ie.gofundme.com/build-new-plaza?fbclid=IwAR1Vyv0A_Lzs0PrTiakIJ7dUN99Gz77WGT7Godde930GyDmhYqDribhrJCE

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It doesn’t say who set it up. ‘Plaza team’ could be anyone. Before giving money for any cause I like to know who is getting it and how it will be accounted for.
    A charity has to have a license to raise money but it seems anybody can set up one of these pages.

On the page it says it is a community hall.
    If it is a community hall would this not mean that would be owned by the Buncrana people.

On the page it says it is a community hall.
    If it is a community hall would this not mean that would be owned by the Buncrana people.

They probably mean it's used by the community for events etc

I call shenanigans .... based on the limited info available to me.

Regardless of the circumstances or who was responsible for the fire the building should have been properly insured so I fail to see why someone is trying to raise hundreds of thousands of Euros now. The money raising issue appears to be more mysterious than the events surrounding the actual fire itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I call shenanigans .... based on the limited info available to me.

Regardless of the circumstances or who was responsible for the fire the building should have been properly insured so I fail to see why someone is trying to raise hundreds of thousands of Euros now. The money raising issue appears to be more mysterious than the events surrounding the actual fire itself.

Sure isn't crowd funding a great thing.

Instead of people handing over €20 or whatever online, why aren't they asking the simple question "why werent you insured".

I know if the owner of a prime asset worth a lot of money couldn't be arsed to insure it, then they can whistle if they are looking for money from me.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sure isn't crowd funding a great thing.

Instead of people handing over €20 or whatever online, why aren't they asking the simple question "why werent you insured".

I know if the owner of a prime asset worth a lot of money couldn't be arsed to insure it, then they can whistle if they are looking for money from me.

The GoFundMe was set up as an emotional reaction the morning after the fire by some well intentioned person IMHO. They probably hadn't even considered insurance. Some of the comments on the GoFundMe reflect this...

Is it still up and running or has it ceased

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    The GoFundMe was set up as an emotional reaction the morning after the fire by some well intentioned person IMHO. They probably hadn't even considered insurance. Some of the comments on the GoFundMe reflect this...
    Had a look at this earlier and I see thee's nothing happening into addressing the insurance questions raised.Looks very suspicious to me and Id be inclined to avoid like the plague

Had a look at this earlier and I see thee's nothing happening into addressing the insurance questions raised.Looks very suspicious to me and Id be inclined to avoid like the plague

I'd be inclined to think the same.

The more I think on it whatever about Barrs shop , the Plaza was bound to be insured.

They wouldn't take that risk would they ??

Although I know the lady that runs it and all she sees is pounds shillings and pence.

Or for any young folk reading euro

But that's a story for another day

John Barr up and running in different location a few doors down from original shop

Advertisement