Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving IP address

• 04-02-2019 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Eir

I bought a fixed IP address from Eircom many years ago (something like £50) and have been using it successfully. I am now moving Broadband to Vodafone/Siro Gigabit fibre and would like to continue using that static address to avoid issues from people like PayPal who track the IP as a security precaution, as well as internal stuff that syncs via the Cloud and can be accessed via URL. Is this viable or will I have to rely on a Vodaphone IP address in future and update anything that throws up errors?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 eir: Nicole

Whippy99 wrote: »
    Hi Eir

I bought a fixed IP address from Eircom many years ago (something like £50) and have been using it successfully. I am now moving Broadband to Vodafone/Siro Gigabit fibre and would like to continue using that static address to avoid issues from people like PayPal who track the IP as a security precaution, as well as internal stuff that syncs via the Cloud and can be accessed via URL. Is this viable or will I have to rely on a Vodaphone IP address in future and update anything that throws up errors?

Thanks.
    Hi Whippy99,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your query. 

When you change provider, they take over everything including IP addresses. If you have not been given your current IP address, I would recommend contacting your new provider and requesting them to take it over. 

~ Nicole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Whippy99 wrote: »
    Hi Eir

Thanks.
    Hi Whippy99,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about your query. 

When you change provider, they take over everything including IP addresses. If you have not been given your current IP address, I would recommend contacting your new provider and requesting them to take it over. 

~ Nicole
    Thats impossible Nicole. The IP address will be part of a wider range that is assigned to eir by RIPE the European IP Registry. I doubt very much that an IP address assigned to eir will be taken over by another provider.

Advertisement