Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp-controlled fan controller

Options
  • 04-02-2019 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭

Hiya
    Am trying to build some kit with a couple of noctua really quiet fans. Need some ideas about a temp controller in line that will sit in the case and kick the fans only when it exceeds a particular temp

anyone used anything that might help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Noctua's are very quiet up until around 65% speed, so why not use the fan curve settings in bios which will do exactly what your looking to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I looked for something like that in the past and surprisingly never found what I wanted. I bought an Aerocool x-vision controller which has temperature sensors, only to find out that the sensors can only be used to trigger an alarm, not control the fan speed. Basically useless.

Recently I started using Argus Monitor (pay software, but free trial with a pretty low-key nag screen after a month). It does a great job of letting you configure all the fan control curves as you like (manual speed, bios, or custom temperature curve). Fans have to be plugged into mobo headers that allow speed control. For example, I have my front intake fans controlled by max of CPU & GPU temperatures averaged over the last 20 seconds. CPU and exhaust are set to run on CPU temps only (again, averaged over last 20 seconds). The option to use average temp over X seconds is great because otherwise I get very sudden, noisy, unnecessary changes in fan speed due to the CPU temps spiking briefly on my 9900k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭trellheim

Fans have to be plugged into mobo headers that allow speed control
    As you mention correctly, you need mobo that can do speed control for that. I do not have these - I have power but nothing more. ( don't ask why lol ) thats why I want an in-line

something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WODE-Temperature-Control-Controller-Module/dp/B019OWYFI2

but looking for anything folks are using out there

Advertisement