Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect in Drogheda

Options
  • 04-02-2019 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my partner are seriously considering buying a house in Raheny. However, we would like a do-er upper so we can put the extension in that we want ourselves.

We've been trying to talk to architects in Dublin, but either they are quoting mad prices for a simple 30m2 extension or simply not engaging.

So I'm from Drogheda and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any architect in Drogheda that is good that we could have a chat with. Any recommendations welcome.

It's nothing mad we want, just a simple kitchen / dinning room extension.

Go raibh maith agat!

Comments

I did an extension recently. I was initially in the same boat as you, but then decided that for a simple/straight-forward 'box-like' extension, paying for an architect is a bit of a mad idea.

I can't recall who I had, but I was quoted approx €2,500 (and that was a cash 'mates rate' for the builder that was doing the job). I decided I could draw a few rectangles myself.

If you like, I can try to dig up the name of the person I used, but if i were you, I'd engage a builder and draw something yourself.

Obviously if you want something overly dramatic or unique or weird materials, etc. then an architect is probably the way forward. For me it was a rear and side extension with a large sliding door out to the garden. Flat roof. Extension consists of a 'sitting room' extension to the kitchen at the back, and a utility and bathroom to the side.

I realise this probably doesn't help you too much, with your question, but I really would have a strong think about what it is you want, and can you sketch it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I think most architects charge 15-25% of the cost so a €40k extension is going to cost €6-10k on top in architect fees.

If it's a straight forward job just talk to the builder and see what they advise.

Advertisement