Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Neeson has landed himself in a spot of trouble

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Fair play to him for being so honest, can totally understand why he acted like that. If a member of the traveling community did a crime to one of us or a family member we’d be baying for blood too against them all until we calmed down a bit & realized it was only one of them. He was honest, admit he was wrong acting so crazy, mountain outta a molehill springs to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

I wonder if this was just something he stupidly made up on the spot.

His wiki says he was in Belfast in the late 70s.
    In those couple of interviews, te mentioned "when I came back to the country", "nearly 40 years ago" "black areas".

Was there a large black population in Belfast in the 80s?

Granted may have been London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Billy Mays wrote: »
    No it's not

It’s a completely understandable reaction and this more than over sensitive snowflakes looking for a reason to be offended.

He probably shouldn’t have admitted it but there’s nothing actually wrong with thinking it. I’d probably feel the same myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

Hypothetical nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

We have to accept that white people cannot criticise black people at all but vice versa is the norm.

I reminds me of one of the worst murder cases I have ever read, where a white couple were viciously tortured and murdered a group of black people but got minimal coverage at the time.

A very harrowing read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Channon_Christian_and_Christopher_Newsom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

What gets me about the outrage by mostly the US media is that when 9/11 happened people felt justified in hating Muslims, equating them all to terroists
    stories how Muslim people were afraid to take to the streets out of fear of being attacked by Americans

Yes they out come out and attack Neeson for dark thoughts he had 40 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

wandererz wrote: »
    The guy just mentioned his thoughts from 40 years ago.
    Those thoughts may have now changed. If they have then that's commendable.

Let's start another global issue, for example has Charlize Theron ever kissed a black guy on TV? Or would she?
    Not that I've ever seen.

She is a global superstar, yet also from a different age & culture. She also has the right to choose. But its never brought up.
    Should she be told off??

Comments are being taken out of proportion. Just like the one i posted above.

She kissed Will Smith in Hancock. That's just off the top of my head. Either way, doesn't prove whatever point you're trying to make. Theron wouldn't be in charge of casting her love interests in her movies. Unless we knew she specifically requested not to kiss a black actor, there'd be zero issue.

I'm not saying you're wrong regarding how Neeson's comments have been overblown, but your hypothetical comparison is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I'm delighted with this. hopefully they stop showing his films on telly now. they're always fecking on, and they're all the fecking same. Him saving everyone after doing an arseload of sh!te talking on the phone.

Never bought into him as the badass super agent type he always plays. Give me Sean Connery, he's got the suave banter, or Wesley Snipes, he looks like a proper badass. Liam Neeson just sounds like he has a stick up his arse and he looks like a postman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I'm delighted with this. hopefully they stop showing his films on telly now. they're always fecking on, and they're all the fecking same. Him saving everyone after doing an arseload of sh!te talking on the phone.

Never bought into him as the badass super agent type he always plays. Give me Sean Connery, he's got the suave banter, or Wesley Snipes, he looks like a proper badass. Liam Neeson just sounds like he has a stick up his arse and he looks like a postman.

You do realise this will probably make him more popular than ever

Plus its not about if you like or hate him its should he be attacked about feelings he had 40 years ago, celebraity or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Think the message was totally lost and what he was trying to say taken out of context.

A storm in a teacup in any other era but the liberal pc brigade will make it their buisness now to destroy Neeson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

ricero wrote: »
    Think the message was totally lost and what he was trying to say taken out of context.

A storm in a teacup in any other era but the liberal pc brigade will make it their buisness now to destroy Neeson.

Because he's a white man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It’s a completely understandable reaction and this more than over sensitive snowflakes looking for a reason to be offended.

He probably shouldn’t have admitted it but there’s nothing actually wrong with thinking it. I’d probably feel the same myself.
    Well there kind of is

If a white person committed this crime against someone close to you would you want to go out and kill a random white person? My guess is "no".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

DColeman wrote: »
    Interestingly enough Piers Morgan decided to plead for forgiveness for Mark Wahlberg.
    I don't exactly expect consistency from Morgan, but seriously? The guy has the self-awareness of a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

bnt wrote: »
    I don't exactly expect consistency from Morgan, but seriously? The guy has the self-awareness of a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

Piers Morgan will take the least popular and most offensive view 95% of the time, then will side with the majority the other 5% to give the illusion of balance.

I see most sites now asking if his career is now over!!!
    Doubtful in an industry where roman Polansky gets an annual ovation!

straight to fair city!! he even has the whispery bad guy voice!, we'll have ya Liam! I'd say Brian singer is delighted this is distracting from him the scumbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Is it me, or can someone explain to me how its racist what Neeson said? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Well there kind of is

If a white person committed this crime against someone close to you would you want to go out and kill a random white person? My guess is "no".

If I saw a white man that bore a resemblance to the man that attacked my loved I probably would for a moment entertain the idea of hurting him. I wouldn’t do it of course.

Neeson is not a racist and the attempts to make him appear so are pathetic quite frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Is it me, or can someone explain to me how its racist what Neeson said? I'm confused.

Very simple. The colour of a persons skin shouldn't have come into it at all.

Imagine how odd the same statement would seem if it was directed at people with green eyes or gingers.

lets say Liam calls the cops and they arrive and say to this woman, can you describe your attacker?... 5ft.10, about 200lbs, moustache, jeans, red jacket...
    So do the cops not ask about ethnicity? to narrow it down? or does Race not come into it?
    I understand he was acting like a madman but on the question or race, to ask about ethnicity in such a situation as to refine an accurate description of a perpetrator , is that not obvious? his motivation was mental yes but I don't see this is racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Penn wrote: »
    She kissed Will Smith in Hancock. That's just off the top of my head. Either way, doesn't prove whatever point you're trying to make. Theron wouldn't be in charge of casting her love interests in her movies. Unless we knew she specifically requested not to kiss a black actor, there'd be zero issue.

I'm not saying you're wrong regarding how Neeson's comments have been overblown, but your hypothetical comparison is nonsense.

Also, Charlize Theron has 2 black kids..I doubt she's a closet racist

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    lets say Liam calls the cops and they arrive and say to this woman, can you describe your attacker?... 5ft.10, about 200lbs, moustache, jeans, red jacket...
    So do the cops not ask about ethnicity? to narrow it down? or does Race not come into it?
    I understand he was acting like a madman but on the question or race, to ask about ethnicity in such a situation as to refine an accurate description of a perpetrator , is that not obvious? his motivation was mental yes but I don't see this is racist.

It wasn't the fact that he asked about the race of the attacker, it's that he was willing to take his revenge out on any black guy (or "black b*stard" as he no doubt regrettably phrased it). That's where race is a crucial factor.

I think it'll blow over. He didn't actually do anything wrong, even though he was hugely wrong in terms of his mindset at the time. He clearly regrets his actions and his thinking and realised how wrong he was quite quickly, and he doesn't stand by his actions and isn't defending them. It's also pretty clear he's not racist himself. It was just a temporary stage of fury which didn't have any logic or rational thinking behind it due to the nature of what had happened.

That said, if this stops him from doing action movies, I'm all for that. Taken was lightning in a bottle. He needs to stop that sh*t now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Penn wrote: »

That said, if this stops him from doing action movies, I'm all for that. Taken was lightning in a bottle. He needs to stop that sh*t now.

Off topic - but is he even a good actor? I can only think of 3 films off the top of my head that hes alright in, Schindlers List, Rob Roy, and Michael Collins - and even then, Michael Collins is borderline.

His line delivery in the taken series / the commuter, and countless others is absolutely awful, the more films I see him in, the more convinced I am that hes brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

If I saw a white man that bore a resemblance to the man that attacked my loved I probably would for a moment entertain the idea of hurting him. I wouldn’t do it of course.

Neeson is not a racist and the attempts to make him appear so are pathetic quite frankly.
    He said he wanted some random black person to approach him so he could kill them in revenge to what happened his friend. He walked around black neighbourhoods carrying a cosh for a week hoping this would happen. So to say it was heat of the moment stuff is off the mark. He basically reduced the incident from rape to "blacks".

For what it's worth I don't believe Neeson is a racist nor should this episode affect his career but people saying what he did 40 years ago had nothing to do with race are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Person has bad thoughts. Person doesn't act out bad thoughts. Person speaks about bad thoughts years later, pointing out how these thoughts were bad, and wrong. Queue outrage. For what im not sure. People are gradually becoming more and more retarded.

Off topic - but is he even a good actor? I can only think of 3 films off the top of my head that hes alright in, Schindlers List, Rob Roy, and Michael Collins - and even then, Michael Collins is borderline.

His line delivery in the taken series / the commuter, and countless others is absolutely awful, the more films I see him in, the more convinced I am that hes brutal.
    He's a respected actor, most likely you have not seen his better movies.

His wife passed in 2009 and that seems to roughly coincide with him starring in any old rubbish. I would say he is just trying to keep busy and keep his mind off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Wombatman wrote: »
    Very simple. The colour of a persons skin shouldn't have come into it at all.

Imagine how odd the same statement would seem if it was directed at people with green eyes or gingers.

Fair enough, but I can imagine if his friend was raped by a red headed man then neeson would want to go out and bate the sh*te out of some read headed man. Or if the perpetrator was muslim or from a travelling background say, he would have sought out those men.
    He's lashing out at the anyone that fits the description of his friends rapist.
    Does that make him a racist?? or just a very angry and stupid man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Hoboo wrote: »
    Person has bad thoughts. Person doesn't act out bad thoughts. Person speaks about bad thoughts years later, pointing out how these thoughts were bad, and wrong. Queue outrage. For what im not sure. People are gradually becoming more and more retarded.

I have to disagree with you here, the rate of people becoming more and more retarded is escalating at an exponential rate at this stage.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

You could even add person comes from place where one community goes tit for tat in revenge against other community when member of that community does something awful to member of that other community. Person goes some where else . After a while person realises that the above is a crappy way to live your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

People these days are so eager to jump on anyone they can. I have respect For Liam Neeson.

40 years ago was a far different time then we had today....Northern Ireland was far different.

He knew it was wrong and he grew up to be a better person when there was a chance he would be a totally different type of person.

It shows that sometimes people may think evil thoughts can be healed and learn to be a better person.

I think people that jump on others wrongdoings especially when the try and right those wrongs are themselves all hypocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Terrlock wrote: »
    People these days are so eager to jump on anyone they can. I have respect For Liam Neeson.

40 years ago was a far different time then we had today....Northern Ireland was far different.

He knew it was wrong and he grew up to be a better person when there was a chance he would be a totally different type of person.

It shows that sometimes people may think evil thoughts can be healed and learn to be a better person.

I think people that jump on others wrongdoings especially when the try and right those wrongs are themselves all hypocrites.
    Really well said.

Liam Neeson is a lovely guy tbh (I have personally met him quite a few times over the years) this whole thing has been blown out of all proportions, its kind of bizarre IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I can imagine if his friend was raped by a red headed man then neeson would want to go out and bate the sh*te out of some read headed man. Or if the perpetrator was muslim or from a travelling background say, he would have sought out those men.
    He's lashing out at the anyone that fits the description of his friends rapist.
    Does that make him a racist?? or just a very angry and stupid man?

I suppose it does when you make distinctions on race, colour or creed.

Racism is a feature of all cultures and something we are struggling to come to terms with, like sexism or homophobia.

Going to take a while to work it out of the system and it should be easy to forgive him for his faux pas considering this.

That brings us to the angry mob……. but that’s another story.

I find it funny that he seems to think he is a bit of a hard man like his on screen persona.

I'm sure the threat of a thespian coming to get you with a cosh had people (you see how I didn’t say black people) quaking in their boots.

Who says cosh anyway? Maybe he had a prop lying around or something.

(Please don't accuse me of thespianism).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The sad thing is there are actively racist people today and people being discriminated everyday on the basis of colour who could do with the media attention and people getting behind them but we are focusing on a guy who did something he admits was wrong 40 years ago. To my knowledge he hasn't done anything questionable since. It's ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

People are indeed becoming more and more retarded, on both sides of the spectrum, as evidenced by all the whinging imbeciles in this thread contorting themselves in the most ludicrous ways imaginable to reconfigure as innocuous or normal, what is objectively, by basically every measure possible, racist behaviour by Irish actor Liam Neeson (star of The Commuter and Taken 3).

Jesus, I'm fairly sure Liam would admit as much himself.

Does this mean that Neeson's entire personality, career and moral worth should be understood in terms of him being a racist? Obviously not.

Does one period of madness mean he should endure life long guilt? Obviously not.

Does one racist action in the past mean a person should be compartmentalised easily as 100% purely racist either in that past or as many as thirty years later? Obviously not. There are subtleties and shades to everything.

Is it a fairly sad sight to see legions of easily offended, reactionary adult babies contorting themselves into all manner of irrational and emotionally-driven dead ends to avoid the clear and obvious conclusion that the actor's original actions were indeed racist by essentially every possible definition available in a clear and substantial way? Also yes.

Finally, there is a lot of insincerity in this thread. People claiming that in a fit of madness they too would consider going after any ethnicity in its entirety in a similarly conceived act of revenge. Either you are a psychopath (and none of you seem interesting enough to be psychopaths), genuinely racist, or you are lying to yourselves, avoiding something entirely obvious so that you can curl up in your shadowy corner slithering around in your own poop being petulant and aggrieved watching Stefan Molyneux videos whilst creeping downstairs once in a while to eat burnt toast and cheap factory farmed rashers with the odd pube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

gmisk wrote: »
    Really well said.

Liam Neeson is a lovely guy tbh (I have personally met him quite a few times over the years) this whole thing has been blown out of all proportions, its kind of bizarre IMO.

I think it was a serious faux pas on his part to tell the story at all. Why bother, he was just talking about a movie of a man turned violent, he then equated himself to it using the term "black bastard" with air quotes apparently as well.
    Whether or not he is racist or not now doesent matter.
    In an interview where all he had to do was answer some probably innane questions he introduced a racial slant himself.
    Pretty stupid of him really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Idiot move. Clearly not racist but that's irrelevant you can't say what he said in this day and age. It's career suicide. It might help that people (high profile black celebs) have come to his defence.

While his initial thoughts of revenge are somewhat understanding, I would question the walking around with a weapon looking to act on those thoughts.

• Advertisement

Edward M wrote: »
    I think it was a serious faux pas on his part to tell the story at all. Why bother, he was just talking about a movie of a man turned violent, he then equated himself to it using the term "black bastard" with air quotes apparently as well.
    In an interview where all he had to do was answer some probably innane questions he introduced a racial slant himself.
    I am pretty sure he would admit that himself now. He was clearly appalled by his own behavior, but he had no need to bring it up. I think a lot of people havent listened to the full thing in fairness which definitely doesnt help.
    He is generally pretty nervous and awkward in interviews as it is, doubt he will be doing more anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Edward M wrote: »
    What's stupid is those people, probably with an agenda to promote hate, take the little bit out of what he said and shout and scream about it all over social media where the less intelligent just bark and bark when they hear it. No such thing as go and listen to or read the full interview where they would find out that he is, to this day, very embarrassed about it and says it was wrong of him.

Stupid people have come together since social media became popular and now have a loud voice because there are so many stupid people in the world and they now all talk together on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Niall Boylan defending Neeson on GMTV this morning:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

what is truly hilarious about all of this is that Liam N was so obviously trying to come across as a real life hardman .. he just failed to think it through ..
    '' Here, lean in a bit closer and I'll tell you about the darker side of me..'' I don't tell many people this .. '' '' I lived through The Troubles'' .. bla bla .. more hilarity followed trying to undig the hole .. 'confessions' 'priests' it really started to take legs .. .. and now she's up and running full pelt .. LOL ..

I wouldn't mind but the man was just trying to come across as a hardman .. now he's racist as well ..
    Life is just plain ol Unfair so it is ..

I just wanna lay me down and cry non stop ..

Niall Boylan defending Neeson on GMTV this morning:

I have finally found someone almost as obnoxious as Piers Morgan...Richard Blackwood.

• Advertisement

I have finally found someone almost as obnoxious as Piers Morgan...Richard Blackwood.

Liam will find him ....
    Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I honestly think a screenwriter should write a movie for Liam based on his telling of the story . Perfect fit for him , a revenge story , we may have to pump it up a bit and have him taking on 50 black dudes with just a snooker ball in a sock.

That would be some excellent trolling of the permanently offended .

john123470 wrote: »
    Liam will find him ....
    Sorted.
    Wow how original.
    Do you have anything to actually contribute to this thread?

Wow how original.
    Do you have anything to actually contribute to this thread?

You mean cuttin edge stuff like your good self ?
    Nah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The white 'regressive leftist type is truly the most racist creature on the planet. They'll take offence on behalf of the POC and tell them how they should feel.

They don't see people ,they see colour. They secretly view themselves as being superior to POC hence they will hold them to different standards in society, 'the bigotry of Low expectations'.

This is the racism we need to weed out and crush in the fight for equality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will probably go see Cold pursuit. Enjoyed the Norwegian film it was based on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The white 'regressive leftist type is truly the most racist creature on the planet. They'll take offence on behalf of the POC and tell them how they should feel.

They don't see people ,they see colour. They secretly view themselves as being superior to POC hence they will hold them to different standards in society, 'the bigotry of Low expectations'.

I think the right wing bigots who are beyond snowflake delicate and worried about losing their place on the heap are the real change to come in recent years. First sign of real push back and they're building walls and calling people cucks ffs..

If anything Neeson should be commended IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Would you ever stop with this ****e. I've defended Neeson, at worst he's admitting to having a racist reaction to a traumatic event 40 years ago that he's appalled by . But to argue that the self righteousness of the left is somehow worse then the actual racism minorities deals with from actual racists every day is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Neeson's nonsense attempt to be the hard man has backfired.

Yep. ****ty made up racist story to promote film may ruin career.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

• Advertisement
Advertisement