Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Neeson has landed himself in a spot of trouble

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

gmisk wrote: »
    Really well said.

Liam Neeson is a lovely guy tbh (I have personally met him quite a few times over the years) this whole thing has been blown out of all proportions, its kind of bizarre IMO.

Its perfectly possible to be a lovely guy and a racist at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yep. ****ty made up racist story to promote film may ruin career.
    It will only ruin it if he keeps up this apologising.

Do a Kevin Hart on it, you have made your apology already, it was a long time ago, get over it, you need me more than i need you. . I dont know anybody bothered by this story, its just click bait media going wild over it .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a sad state we're in when you can't tell the public you had murderously racist thoughts, and went out to act upon them, without catching a load of flak from that very public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

eagle eye wrote: »
    John Barnes is not a very bright individual. I wouldn't be too concerned with what he has to say.

Neither would I, especially as the self same John Barnes got in trouble for homophobic remarks so he has an ulterior motive in sticking up Liam Neeson. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/anrl9t/ah_jaysus_liam/

Obviously stealing this idea from reddit but can you image if this was a weekly series where Liam tells an offensive anecdote.
    I'd subscribe for sure :)

Niall Boylan defending Neeson on GMTV this morning:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

If you have Niall Boylan defending you, you're in serious trouble.

He's a fcuking gremlin.

The white 'regressive leftist type is truly the most racist creature on the planet. They'll take offence on behalf of the POC and tell them how they should feel.

They don't see people ,they see colour. They secretly view themselves as being superior to POC hence they will hold them to different standards in society, 'the bigotry of Low expectations'.

This is the racism we need to weed out and crush in the fight for equality.

What? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Is it me, or can someone explain to me how its racist what Neeson said? I'm confused.

You’re doing it wrong.

You don’t read what Neeson said. You read snippets of his interview, then read other people’s opinion pieces, then crucify Neeson and shout about how outraged you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

john123470 wrote: »
    what is truly hilarious about all of this is that Liam N was so obviously trying to come across as a real life hardman .. he just failed to think it through ..
    '' Here, lean in a bit closer and I'll tell you about the darker side of me..'' I don't tell many people this .. '' '' I lived through The Troubles'' .. bla bla .. more hilarity followed trying to undig the hole .. 'confessions' 'priests' it really started to take legs .. .. and now she's up and running full pelt .. LOL ..

I wouldn't mind but the man was just trying to come across as a hardman .. now he's racist as well ..
    Life is just plain ol Unfair so it is ..

I just wanna lay me down and cry non stop ..

Yes. All the classic “hard” men talk about their feelings and how ashamed and disgusted they were about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

An Orwellian 2 Minutes Hate if ever there was one.

Piers Morgan is such a grandstanding buffoon. He sees every “man bites dog” scenario as a zero sum game with no room for nuance and he just has to jump in and defend the underdog to sate his egomania. He’s like this on everything. Remember his debate with Ben Shapiro on guns?

The guy on the left was also pretty obnoxious.

I wish Niall Boylan has thought to pose this simple question to Morgan: Do you believe people who acknowledge their wrong-doings should be forgiven?

If the answer is yes then what are we debating about? I mean everyone’s in agreement as to the disgusting nature of what Liam Neeson did. This paganistic outlook on forgiveness and redemption by which all those who commit sins are forever irredeemable is ugly as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Edward M wrote: »
    I think it was a serious faux pas on his part to tell the story at all. Why bother, he was just talking about a movie of a man turned violent, he then equated himself to it using the term "black bastard" with air quotes apparently as well.
    Whether or not he is racist or not now doesent matter.
    In an interview where all he had to do was answer some probably innane questions he introduced a racial slant himself.
    Pretty stupid of him really

I think the world needs more honest conversations like this.

It's only stupid for the stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Why even bother having people on a talk show if you don't let them talk? I was going to watch the whole thing but after about three minutes I couldn't listen to Richard Blackwood (or the poor mans Will Smith as I remember a magazine once describing him) anymore. And the media could easily spin a story about him with the headline 'Richard Blackwood tells white people "I know you're all racists" '.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Terrlock wrote: »
    I think the world needs more honest conversations like this.

It's only stupid for the stupid

It's seems I'm stupid so :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

If your take away from this story is that Liam Neeson is a racist, then you have missed the point. It's like watching Remember the Titans and thinking "those white guys are racist." You have missed the moral of the story.

sirmanga wrote: »
    If your take away from this story is that Liam Neeson is a racist, then you have missed the point. It's like watching Remember the Titans and thinking "those white guys are racist." You have missed the moral of the story.

Personally, I don't think him a racist, I also don't think for a minute he meant to start a race debate, I think that was an accidental repercussion of the way he tried to somehow make himself relate to his character in his latest movie.
    But then it's been pointed out a couple of times, I'm stupid apparently, or simple maybe, for not seeing the deep deep soulful meaning in it.
    :D.

• Advertisement

I managed to watch a bit more of that 'interview'. Blackwood whines about white people telling black people how they should feel. This is just after he says John Barnes is wrong for not feeling the same way he does and that it's no surprise that all whites are racists because everyone already knows that. I bet he won't dragged through the coals for that comment.

I wonder does Blackwood feel the same way about everyone that has ever made a mistake. Would he go around telling young blacks that have gotten in trouble but want to change that all they'll ever be is a thief and a drug dealer and there's no retribution for them? If some black teenager just thought about joining a gang would Blackwood tell him he'll never be forgiven?

There's a good documentary called Accidental Courtesy about a black man called Daryl Davies that befriends KKK members. These are real, lifelong racists and he manages to treat them like human beings. A lot of them even end up leaving the KKK. He's done more good than idiots crying about something someone thought about doing decades ago ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Liam Neeson should point out perhaps that when he saw black British people growing up they were probably persecuting him as part of the army.

Muhammad Ali spent most of his twenties speaking out against whites. Saying that blacks shouldn't marry whites. But he said later in life that he regretted feeling like that and he realised not all white people were racist against blacks.

Ali is a beloved figure.

Why can't Neeson be seen in the same light? He overcame a negative thought and became a better man.

Is this where we are now in society? Persecuting a man for having bad thoughts forty years ago. Thoughts he fully admits were wrong and he is ashamed of. And he has spent years working for charitable organisations which help starving African children.

Yeah, he's a real racist.

Also, that wally Piers Morgan; he is so outraged by thoughts Liam Neeson had, yet he fawns over Mike Tyson whenever he has him on a show.
    Mike Tyson. A convicted rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

Jesus christ this is being so blown out of proportion it's ridiculous.

He was talking about how his blind rage and anger led him to some very dark places and when he finally came out the other side he realised how horrific and shameful his thoughts and potential actions were.
    THATS IT!!!

Everyone all of a sudden is calling him a racist and overcomplicating the situation as usual.
    If you don't understand where he's coming from, you're either dumb or just plane ignorant or as most on twitter are nowadays, just looking for something to be offended by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This is the world we live in. Outrage over the smallest of things.

Liam Neeson is not a racist. He just said something stupid.

Even if he is a racist, why would you boycott his movie? It's just a movie, you don't know him. We all listen to Michael Jackson who was a paedophile..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    An Orwellian 2 Minutes Hate if ever there was one.

Piers Morgan is such a grandstanding buffoon. He sees every “man bites dog” scenario as a zero sum game with no room for nuance and he just has to jump in and defend the underdog to sate his egomania. He’s like this on everything. Remember his debate with Ben Shapiro on guns?

The guy on the left was also pretty obnoxious.

I wish Niall Boylan has thought to pose this simple question to Morgan: Do you believe people who acknowledge their wrong-doings should be forgiven?

If the answer is yes then what are we debating about? I mean everyone’s in agreement as to the disgusting nature of what Liam Neeson did. This paganistic outlook on forgiveness and redemption by which all those who commit sins are forever irredeemable is ugly as hell.

Those 2 fools there don't realise how racist and divisive they are.
    They go on about how to stop this racism, this division yet are so anti white themselves.
    Richard going on about "People of colour" sorry why is this acceptable ? - isn't "coloured" considered racist ?
    All these idiots can see are race race race colour colour colour ... so hung up about it.
    People are ****ing people !!! ffs!
    Would there have been any outrage if Neeson said he just felt angry at MEN and wanted to take revenge out on a random man ??

Then they go on about Islamaphobia too I mean STFU!!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    This is the world we live in. Outrage over the smallest of things.

Liam Neeson is not a racist. He just said something stupid.

Even if he is a racist, why would you boycott his movie? It's just a movie, you don't know him. We all listen to Michael Jackson who was a paedophile..

True enough, we've watched movies with all sorts of weirdos in them and about them down through the years.
    Murderers, thieves, racists, and much worse even, can be hero's in movies and TV and we'd be on their side even, watching them.
    You're wrong about MJ though, he was never on my playlists, he's no Declan Nerney!

Those 2 fools there don't realise how racist and divisive they are.
    They go on about how to stop this racism, this division yet are so anti white themselves.
    Richard going on about "People of colour" sorry why is this acceptable ? - isn't "coloured" considered racist ?
    All these idiots can see are race race race colour colour colour ... so hung up about it.
    People are ****ing people !!! ffs!
    Would there have been any outrage if Neeson said he just felt angry at MEN and wanted to take revenge out on a random man ??

Then they go on about Islamaphobia too I mean STFU!!

you don't see people with actual constructive views on such shows, they're all Z listers trying to be relevant. expect a Vogue meets Liam neeson coming to a cinema near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Anyone see John Barnes response on this?

For all the kids out there, John Barnes was a footballer in the 80's and 90's. He's black. He was subjected to disgusting racial abuse for years, week in, week out.

He reckons Neeson deserves a medal.

I like John Barnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Also, that wally Piers Morgan; he is so outraged by thoughts Liam Neeson had, yet he fawns over Mike Tyson whenever he has him on a show.

Typical Morgan, the vast majority of people can see where Neeson was coming from so he takes the opposite side if this was a full on witch hunt against Neeson he'd actually just be on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Keyzer wrote: »
    Anyone see John Barnes response on this?

For all the kids out there, John Barnes was a footballer in the 80's and 90's. He's black. He was subjected to disgusting racial abuse for years, week in, week out.

He reckons Neeson deserves a medal.

I like John Barnes.

He's spot on the money. People just take what they want to be hear to be offended and completely miss the point. The world has gone completely dumb. Take a bow JB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

I think the row has lifted the lid on a lot of insecurities that black people hold. They blow up at the most trivial thing that a white person does, such as Neeson's angry thoughts, or those 'gotcha' style mobile phone recordings in McDonald's etc, but turn a blind eye to the most pressing problems facing their community: drug use, absentee fathers, knife crime, education.

Everyday there's a competition to see what else is racist. Today they're complaining about a Gucci jumper that to some resembles black face. Insane. They are stoking division way more than Trump & co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I think the row has lifted the lid on a lot of insecurities that black people hold. They blow up at the most trivial thing that a white person does, such as Neeson's angry thoughts, or those 'gotcha' style mobile phone recordings in McDonald's etc, but turn a blind eye to the most pressing problems facing their community: drug use, absentee fathers, knife crime, education.

Everyday there's a competition to see what else is racist. Today they're complaining about a Gucci jumper that to some resembles black face. Insane. They are stoking division way more than Trump & co.

It's not confined to the black community - there is a large/small pocket of society which seems to be perpetually offended by anything and everything these days.

Where are the perpetually offended when it comes to real matters e.g. the absolute mess that is the national childrens hospital? I don't see mass hysteria surrounding the ineptitude and mismanagement of tax payers money.

People simply choose to be offended by little or nothing to play the victim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

He SELF-confesses to past feelings that he had of racial prejudice and the deep shame he felt as a result, citing lessons learned. He wasn't outed and nor is it a gotcha moment. It was a sincere example as a response to a question about revenge in an promo interview. The self-outraged keyboard warriors: OMG CANCEL LIAM NEESON.

People have short memories in the states. Reginald Denny comes to mind, the white truck driver nearly murdered during the infamous LA riots because of an atrocity committed by white LAPD officers? Never mind the countless amount of white people attacked and were being pulled from cars and viscously assaulted.

Its selective and recreational outrage. A recurring phenomenon in the worlds largest open air asylum, assisted and spread with the help of the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Would you ever stop with this false equivalency ****e . Complaining about a jumper, or about banning gingerbread men , or whatever some vegan on the internet suggests is in no way comparable to the hateful rhetoric that comes out of Trump. If you genuinely think it is , I'm sorry to tell you , you are the actual snowflake in this equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Saanvi Tangy Composer

Hoboo wrote: »
    He's spot on the money. People just take what they want to be hear to be offended and completely miss the point. The world has gone completely dumb. Take a bow JB.

nothing beats an outrage mob on twitter....bunch of bell ends with nothing going on their lives and this keeps them going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Saanvi Tangy Composer

Keyzer wrote: »
    It's not confined to the black community - there is a large/small pocket of society which seems to be perpetually offended by anything and everything these days.

Where are the perpetually offended when it comes to real matters e.g. the absolute mess that is the national childrens hospital? I don't see mass hysteria surrounding the ineptitude and mismanagement of tax payers money.

People simply choose to be offended by little or nothing to play the victim card.

a lot of Upper class white people being outraged for someone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

So, they are so outraged about Liam they are able to create a comedic aspect to it......all the nonsense doesn't add up when they do this. stupid people

https://twitter.com/iLLAMADi/status/1093409419482796032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not sure about John Barnes response to this. It's like he's using it as a support to the notion that we are all racist deep down, us white folk. It is well known that in society we have unconscious biases and if that's true then every nationality/race has them but that does not mean we are all inherently racist. It's certainly worthwhile to check your biases but I think biases arn't the same thing as racism. Racism is completely irrational engaged in just to make oneself feel bigger/better than others of a different background, so racism imo is not a result of biases taken to a extreme degree , it's a completely different thing altogether.

So, they are so outraged about Liam they are able to create a comedic aspect to it......all the nonsense doesn't add up when they do this. stupid people

https://twitter.com/iLLAMADi/status/1093409419482796032

Yeh because people aren't allowed to have differing reactions to things :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Off topic but I can't for the life of me understand how Tyson is even able to get work nowadays let alone accepted back into the celebrity world with no mention of his crimes. ****ing disgraceful

And here people are calling for the end of neesons career for something he thought about 40 years ago and admits was wrong. Does not compute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Off topic but I can't for the life of me understand how Tyson is even able to get work nowadays let alone accepted back into the celebrity world with no mention of his crimes. ****ing disgraceful

Outrage like all fashion is finite.

Plus Tyson is insane, would be pointless whipping up a frenzy against a guy who was actively encouraged to kill people for a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

ceadaoin. wrote: »

And here people are calling for the end of neesons career for something he thought about 40 years ago and admits was wrong. Does not compute

Remember one of the cast of the Hangover films being unwilling to work with Mel Gibson, for past transgressions by him. No problem working with Mike Tyson. The glorified cameo role went to Liam Neeson, small old world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wally. What a great term of insult. Thank you for reintroducing it to my life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

razorblunt wrote: »
    Typical Morgan, the vast majority of people can see where Neeson was coming from so he takes the opposite side if this was a full on witch hunt against Neeson he'd actually just be on his side.

Even ignoring the whole racism thing, and the fact that he made someone else's personal tragedy about himself, how can people see where he was coming from? He didn't just want to kill the perpetrator; he wanted to kill some random person who bore a vague resemblance to the perpetrator. If someone you care about was raped or murdered, would you honestly even dream of killing some random person who you know didn't commit the crime, but who merely shares a physical characteristic with them? Would you even entertain that idea for a second?

So now that Neeson is cast out due to thoughts he had (and didn't act upon) 40 years ago, who else is next?

How about Nelson Mandela? He was a violent man in his younger days. He was involved in car bombings and fires. He was angry.

But he later got what he wanted through peace and became one of the most beloved men on the planet.

Do we now reassess his story to just talk about his violent younger days? Of course not.

What a load of old tosh this Neeson non story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Even ignoring the whole racism thing, and the fact that he made someone else's personal tragedy about himself, how can people see where he was coming from? He didn't just want to kill the perpetrator; he wanted to kill some random person who bore a vague resemblance to the perpetrator. If someone you care about was raped or murdered, would you honestly even dream of killing some random person who you know didn't commit the crime, but who merely shares a physical characteristic with them? Would you even entertain that idea for a second?

Isn't that the pint he was making? How dangerous seeking revenge and treating people as the other and making genralisations about people (he grew up in a society that was the perfect example of this) can be.
    This kind of tribalism is getting to be entrenched in modern society, everything is us and them, politics is now like a team sport and only a win will count. Disagree with me and you're the worse possible example of someone on your side.
    This wasn't some secret recording where he was boasting to people, it was him opening up and warning about it. But let's not worry, the professionally outraged on twitter will solve all these problems.

I love how people keep making the same point over and over and over about how it makes no sense to get revenge on someone for someone elses crimes, as if this is some massive revelation. No one is saying this was rational. He even said himself he seeked professional help.

And he's from a part of Ireland where people got 'justice' by attacking groups rather than individuals. A protestant would kill a catholic, then some unrelated protestant would be shot in revenge, then a catholic would be killed and so on.

This isn't unique to Northern Ireland either. Look at the rioting and looting in America when a cop shoots a black guy.

Ultimately Liam Neeson didn't actually do anything.

I love how people keep making the same point over and over and over about how it makes no sense to get revenge on someone for someone elses crimes, as if this is some massive revelation. No one is saying this was rational. He even said himself he seeked professional help.

And he's from a part of Ireland where people got 'justice' by attacking groups rather than individuals. A protestant would kill a catholic, then some unrelated protestant would be shot in revenge, then a catholic would be killed and so on.

This isn't unique to Northern Ireland either. Look at the rioting and looting in America when a cop shoots a black guy.

Ultimately Liam Neeson didn't actually do anything.

You don't seem to have a realisation of the depth of the troubles in Northern Ireland.
    That was much deeper than a p shooting a c and vice versa.
    You'd need to actually study up what all that was about.

• Advertisement

No of course not. But then I didn't grow up in the north during the troubles when if you couldn't find the right Proddie/Catholic you probably took out your anger on the first one you came across. What he said also speaks to the unfortunate male/nay human tendency to deal with a troubled upbringing or with grief/abuse in unhealthy self destructive ways, like getting into fights with strangers because you have so much anger in you and it's that or hitting your father back. Or like Liam hearing your good friend had been raped, feeling powerless and wanting to lash out in a horribly indescrimate way. So no I wouldn't have done or thought of doing it . But that doesn't stop me from seeing the broader context .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The whole this is f*cking stupid. I feel sorry for the people giving out about Neeson. Go live your life.

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    The whole this is f*cking stupid. I feel sorry for the people giving out about Neeson. Go live your life.

Probably takes no longer or needs more thought than your post. What's your excuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

So the lad was pissed off because someone close was raped and he lost the rag, then realised he was being an idiot when he calmed the fúck down?

Honestly people these days, snowflakes and emotional headcases looking for any excuse for any outrage and just being utter fools. To paraphrase an oldie:

"Context Motherfúcker, do you comprehend it?!"

I swear the world is getting even more braindead by the day....

• Advertisement
Advertisement