Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Neeson has landed himself in a spot of trouble

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

zapitastas wrote: »
    Didn't see that but I have been impressed from seeing John Barnes speak previously about racism.

He's always been a very articulate man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Succubus_ wrote: »
    I was just thinking of the woman who was raped. She's probably reliving all of this and the trauma of the rape. I wonder how she's feeling.

She died five years ago according to Neeson today on good morning America. He also clarified some things
    The actor, 66, appeared on Good Morning America in New York and revealed he had sought help from a Catholic priest after spending a week prowling the streets with a cosh to murder a 'black b*****d'.

Neeson said he 'understood' the hurt his words had caused but insisted: 'I'm not racist, this was 40 years ago. I had a primal urge. I was trying to show honour for a friend I dearly loved, in a medieval fashion'.

The star, who was later hugged and kissed by black audience members on the Live with Kelly and Ryan show, said he had gone to church when he became 'scared' and realised he had wanted to 'unleash' murder on a stranger for his friend, who he said died five years ago.

He said: 'I did seek help. I went to a priest, who heard my confession' and also later confided in two friends and would go out powerwalking for 'two hours a day to get this [anger] out of me

GMA host Robins Roberts asked him if he 'understood the pain of a black person' hearing his words.

He replied: 'Absolutely, you're absolutely right. And at the time, even though this was nearly 40 years ago, I didn't think about that. It was this primal hatred, I guess, that really shocked me, when I eventually came down to earth and saw what I was doing, looking for a fight'.

When asked how he would feel if his unnamed friend's attacker was white he said: 'If he was Irish, a Scot or Brit or a Lithuanian. I know I would have had the same reaction'.

This won't be enough for some people though . I think his career in America at least will be finished because of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

well that's the end of him then

Mel Gibson was forgiven, Liam will too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

So was the actual isolated desire to kill Sikhs, a racist reaction? (sectarian might be more accurate in this case but the principle is the same)

It was simply a reaction, not a racist reaction. Random black guy rapes his friend, another random black guy will be made to pay. Quid pro quo. It's not like he joined Combat 18 and chased them out of the country. People need to be careful talking about race and crime, because the stats don't make for comfortable reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

If liam Neesons agent is anything worth his salt, he/she will set it up for an unlikely black and white cop duo movie, Ala Jackie Chan and Chris rock. It would be complete box office gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Atlantic101

That's what happens for telling the truth nowadays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

A racist act doesn't mean Neeson IS a racist. That should be obvious too.

He has clarified that he isnt racist, so presumably would have equally angrily bludgeoned a white man/woman to death if a white person had raped his friend.

Racism is bad, but he isnt one, so lay off the criticism. He has murderous tendencies, and it seems that is OK too. So he has nothing to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    zapitastas wrote: »
    Didn't see that but I have been impressed from seeing John Barnes speak previously about racism.

He's always been a very articulate man

He was very interesting on Big Brother last year. He dealt with a lot of racism in his playing career and early life. Bananas thrown at him every week and racial abuse galore.

He did have some fairly old school views on other topics. Wasnt a big fan of gays. I remember the contradiction in how he spoke about doing loads of work to stamp out racism but made some old school gay jokes.

He definitely didn't worry about gays while taking racism very seriously. He was a complex guy. Came across very sincere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its always fun when the luvvies turn on each other. Any word from Miriam or Marian yet or are they too busy babysitting for Maggie Cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    She died five years ago according to Neeson today on good morning America. He also clarified some things

This won't be enough for some people though . I think his career in America at least will be finished because of this

He had a primal urge to kill a random black person... That doesn't sound any less racist. Fact he doesn't seem to view it as a racist response isn't a great sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

This matter very clearly did not happen in NI. He would have grown old and died trying to find a black person in the entire country of NI 40 years ago, let alone wandering the streets hoping to see one coming out of a pub ffs.

A racist act doesn't mean Neeson IS a racist. That should be obvious too.

He has clarified that he isnt racist, so presumably would have equally angrily bludgeoned a white man/woman to death if a white person had raped his friend.

Racism is bad, but he isnt one, so lay off the criticism. He has murderous tendencies, and it seems that is OK too. So he has nothing to answer for.
    We'll as long as he clarified he's not a racist lol. That separates him from all the people who clarify that they are racist.

I didn't say he IS a racist. It must be very hard to see wanting to kill any black man for the crime of another black man, as anything short of racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It was simply a reaction, not a racist reaction. Random black guy rapes his friend, another random black guy will be made to pay. Quid pro quo. It's not like he joined Combat 18 and chased them out of the country. People need to be careful talking about race and crime, because the stats don't make for comfortable reading.

Of course it was racist.
    Jaysus.
    I want to kill a guy based on his race, but I'm not racist.

Mind boggles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Another case of a bunch of people getting on their high horses without taking the time to read/listen to what was said.

Neeson is just being honest about a very human reaction to about an appalling attack on some he cares about. The rape is actual crime here.

Has anyone seen a full interview with the journalist involved? BBC News only showed a few seconds of her saying what Neeson said was shocking but there was obviously note to what she said.

And this was not something that happened last week. It was obviously a long time ago but Neeson canny be specific to protect the woman involved.

That said I can’t believe Neeson actually told the story. Surely he must have known it would be twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

A very strange thing to say from Liam’s part, if it was a white straight male, would anyone declare war on everyone in that bracket?

Maybe there’s an underlying part to this that we are all missing? I find that only when I started working and studying with different people did I loose that judgement I had through my teenage years especially. So maybe Liam is making a point we should all use to reflect on ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Whitey on the moon.

Neeson is just being honest about a very human reaction to about an appalling attack on some he cares about.

Being honest doesnt excuse racism. That is reaction is a racist human reaction, is still a racist reaction. Not that he is unusual in that. Most people are racist. Racism itself is a natural instinct. Culture closes it down a little, but in a situation like Neeson a lid isnt always kept on it and it comes to the fore. Perfectly normal. Anyone criticism him just hasnt acknowledged their own inner racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

timthumbni wrote: »
    This matter very clearly did not happen in NI. He would have grown old and died trying to find a black person in the entire country of NI 40 years ago, let alone wandering the streets hoping to see one coming out of a pub ffs.

40 years ago Liam Neeson was living with Helen Mirren in south west London

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

MPFGLB wrote: »

I assumed it was probably London. Helen mirren was a sort in her day.

• Advertisement

You are correct. Neeson was asked that very question on US morning television and said if the rapist had been Irish, a Scot or a Lithuanian he would would have gone out looking for trouble with those groups.

All the people galloping on hmtheir high horses make me laugh. And not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The fact that he would openly say something like that, and with such regret, surely makes it obvious he's not a racist.

So many people with empty lives, needing outrage to give them a sense of meaning. It's sad.

A very strange thing to say from Liam’s part, if it was a white straight male, would anyone declare war on everyone in that bracket?

Maybe there’s an underlying part to this that we are all missing? I find that only when I started working and studying with different people did I loose that judgement I had through my teenage years especially. So maybe Liam is making a point we should all use to reflect on ourselves

If it was “a white STRAIGHT male”?

I’ll say no more about the straight but if the woman had been raped by a white man then Neeson night very well have found the fight he was looking for on the first night.

I wasn’t aware the time period had been revealed and as soon as I heard “40 years” on RTÉ News I thought that poor woman is probably going to get dragged into this.

That's what happens for telling the truth nowadays!

this !

I am reading a book at the moment ..it called Radical Honesty ,written by an American psychologist which says how people lie all the time and how doing so means they cover who they really are and are afraid to say what they think, feel and in doing so lead lives blighted by addiction and pain

I think as a society we do the same.No one can admit to thinking or feeling inappropriately (without acting on it) and then admit how wrong it was and how they are ashamed of it ....because the condemnation brigade are out in droves..

Liam Neeson on the BBC now said that it was not racism as he would have felt the same about Irish Scottish, Lithuanian men, etc if they had committed the rape

BTW imo the worst society for lying to themselves and everyone are the Irish...a history of sinning on Saturday and praying on Sunday ...most I know cannot be honest in any way with family and friends cos what would so and so say

Liam Neeson on the BBC now said that it was not racism as he would have felt the same about Irish Scottish, Lithuanian men, etc if they has committed the rape

Which is a nonsense argument from him. He didnt mention nationality. He mentioned race. Revealing his racism.

• Advertisement

Which is a nonsense argument from him. He didnt mention nationality. He mentioned race. Revealing his racism.

I'm sure you know best about what a man felt 40 years ago and has said how he was appalled by what he felt ......and I am sure you can go on branding him racist if you feel you have the right to

timthumbni wrote: »

I assumed it was probably London. Helen mirren was a sort in her day.

Sure there were no blacks in London 40 years ago. Probably just a paratrooper or two 🙄

It proves he's not a racist.

I also can categorise people by some common factor -

Scottish guys

Asian guys

Short guys

Black guys

English guys

White South Africans

Really tall

Red hair and freckles

Just because you use black as a way to identify someone, doesn't mean you're racist.

I spent time in Nigeria and I was the white guy. That wasn't racism - it was just an easy way to define me.

People are so pathetic, trying to find racism everywhere. The only reason they need to do this is because racism isn't that common. The demand for outrage exceeds the supply of racism.

So soon after the teenagers in maga hats saga and the same clowns can't even read past a headline.

Why so these people feel the need to be outraged so badly that they won't allow facts to get in their way? A sorry bunch. But I'm glad they're burning up inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Where's the outrage for a certain rapper throwing out bars of soap at Irish concert telling us to wash ourselves.

• Advertisement

So soon after the teenagers in maga hats saga and the same clowns can't even read past a headline.

Why so these people feel the need to be outraged so badly that they won't allow facts to get in their way? A sorry bunch. But I'm glad they're burning up inside.

It's truly bizarre.

They so want to believe we're living in a world of racists and nazis.

I wish I could say they're stupid, but they're not. Is it some sort of mental illness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Queue the snowflakes....

Cue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Where's the outrage for a certain rapper throwing out bars of soap at Irish concert telling us to wash ourselves.

Yank privilege is the privilege that can never be mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Neeson said the woman had since died but he could be saying that to try and preempt journalists approaching Mirren for comment given how there's a quite a lot to suggest she very well may be the woman he had been speaking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/sep/01/1

Could all be coincidence of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I made a public warning at the time. If you give yourself up now, that'll be the end of it. I'll not look for you. I'll not pursue you. But If you don't, I'll look for any black bastard and I'll kill them.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    It's truly bizarre.

I wish I could say they're stupid, but they're not. Is it some sort of mental illness?

They get direction in life from pointing out injustices, but as someone else said, the supply of those injustices isn't high enough. Well it is, but they only care about the usual four or five hot topics, where massive progress has been made, but not by them. Late and they know it but they want to pretend they were a part of solving racism or whatever.

There was loads of condemnation. I didn't see anyone making a case FOR Azelia Banks. There was no disagreement. Her reaction was racist.

There were no hoards of people scraping the bottom of the barrel to make the case that she just had a normal inappropriate reaction "but it wasn't racist".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

... ne pas nourrir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

He used '' black bastard'' same way he'd use '' fat bastard''

So do you think it's likely that he could have asked his friend: "By any chance, was the guy that raped you.... fat??"

So you think black people are a different race to white people?

I was under the impression we are the human race - there being only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Queue the snowflakes....

You can't brush everything off by calling people "snowflakes"

The desire for the revenge is understandable. The "any black man will do" statement is disgusting, there have been thousands of innocent people sentenced to life/death under guise of "any black man will do".

He clearly doesn't understand the nuances of the can of worms opened here, so I'll file this under the "old man yells at cloud" school of thought.

There was loads of condemnation. I didn't see anyone making a case FOR Azelia Banks. There was no disagreement. Her reaction was racist.

There were no hoards of people scraping the bottom of the barrel to make the case that she just had a normal inappropriate reaction "but it wasn't racist".

Ok
    Did Ms Banks apologies for her actions ? Ddi she say she was appalled with how she felt or what she did ..Was she 'attacked' or laid on by unwashed Irish individuals. Did she have any understanding of herself and how inappropriate her behaviour was ?

Cos Liam Neeson has/had

If you cant see the difference then there is no arguing with you ..you will just have to think what you like

Neeson said the woman had since died but he could be saying that to try and preempt journalists approaching Mirren for comment given how there's a quite a lot to suggest that she very well may have been her that he had been speaking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/sep/01/1

Could all be coincidence of course.

I had assumed it to be Mirren earlier and Mirren has spoken before that she was raped, hadn’t she?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

New movie, hmmm, what could we do in the snowflake generation to drum up publicity, hmm, I know, let's make up some black b#stard story, from 40 years ago about a now dead woman.

Boom! Worldwide news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    It's truly bizarre.

What's truly bizarre is your absolute commitment to finding racism nowhere.

You are the mirror image of the leftist snowflakes you abhor.

What is a Azezal Bunks?

Or whatever it is called.

I had no no interest in seeing Cold Pursuit because it is a remake and I’m tired of Liam Neeson killing people/wolves/airplanes, etc for whatever reasons.

Now I’m going to see it several and buy three tickets each time.

Like Seinfeld returning the jacket - for spite. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will be all forgotten about in a few days, and he has the publicity of a lifetime. For good or bad.

I blame celebrity culture on this.

Unsurprising to see the usual names on AH talking about how it's perfectly understandable to want to assault and possibly murder random innocent black men. No doubt if the shoe was on the other foot the same people would be screaming 'racism'.

This place truly has become a steaming ****heap.

Could you quote a few posts where people are arguing that?

I haven't read anything except the last two pages.

• Advertisement

Unsurprising to see the usual names on AH talking about how it's perfectly understandable to want to assault and possibly murder random innocent black men. No doubt if the shoe was on the other foot the same people would be screaming 'racism'.

This place truly has become a steaming ****heap.

And you picked Hiroshima as part of your nickname because ... ???

Advertisement