Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Neeson has landed himself in a spot of trouble

Comments

Unsurprising to see the usual names on AH talking about how it's perfectly understandable to want to assault and possibly murder random innocent black men. No doubt if the shoe was on the other foot the same people would be screaming 'racism'.

This place truly has become a steaming ****heap.

Could you quote a few posts where people are arguing that?

I haven't read anything except the last two pages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Unsurprising to see the usual names on AH talking about how it's perfectly understandable to want to assault and possibly murder random innocent black men. No doubt if the shoe was on the other foot the same people would be screaming 'racism'.

This place truly has become a steaming ****heap.

Adult babies disguising from themselves their own low self-worth by drumming their little fists on bumper packets of pampers. Not deep thinkers. Predictable, easily led by the nose, easily offended. Ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Billy Mays wrote: »
    No it's not

Yes it is.

Adult babies disguising from themselves their own low self-worth by drumming their little fists on bumper packets of pampers. Not deep thinkers. Predictable, easily led by the nose, easily offended. Ignore.

You just described all the white “social justice warriors” perfectly.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

His Hollywood career will be fine. I'm sure the movie will do well too.

Now, if he said he roamed around outside synagogues in the jew areas of the city looking for some "jew bastard" to kill...his career would most definitely be over.

He does make interesting points about 'the troubles' and seeking revenge. If someone was to say they wanted to kill a "british bastard" any "british bastard" it didn't matter who, back in the day up north. Only snowflakes, SJWs and the PC brigade would be offended by this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Although what Neeson said was wrong and stupid I wonder what would have happened had a British actor said he was ashamed that, in his past, he was looking to attack an Irish man during the troubles when a friend was injured by the IRA, but never did.

I am sure that he would be criticised but I doubt that it would be such a transatlantic furore about it. So much nonsense about this ephemeral whiteness.

After all people march demanding that we all be killed (we taigs) every year, and no bother to the Brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He used '' black bastard'' same way he'd use '' fat bastard''

So do you think it's likely that he could have asked his friend: "By any chance, was the guy that raped you.... fat??"
    Hold on. He didn't say he looked for a detailed description of the guy so he could find him. Short, talk, fat, thin, light, dark, accent? Any distinctive features?

The only information he said got was that she didn't know him and he was black.

That's not enough information to find the guy. That was all he needed to go around looking for a black guy to give him an excuse to kill him.

Lads stop digging and throw out the shovel. It's a clear cut case. His reaction was racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Lads stop digging and throw out the shovel. It's a clear cut case. His reaction was racist.

And regrettable and wrong, as he explained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

What is a Azezal Bunks?

Or whatever it is called.
    one hit wonder,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Oh just f*ck off. Seriously, yes his thoughts may have been racist but having racist thoughts and being racist are too different things entirely! FFS there isn't a single human being that ever lived that never had a racist thought in their lives!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

tuxy wrote: »

Yeah but you can't say that you were wrong and you regret it nowadays. You say something wrong and you can never EVER be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Muckka wrote: »
    That's ok sure we both have different opinions, and I see nothing wrong with yours.

What I meant about the paratrooper was, that would have been the odds of him meeting a black man in the north 40 years ago....

I don't think anybody was in danger, apart from Liam getting agitated and feeling angry.

Wasn't 40 years long enough to have this guilty secret hanging over his head, without all the drama and future faking going on.

I don't think he said it was in Northern Ireland? It was more than likely in the UK if he was trawling "black areas"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Am saying nothing..
    Because he has skills,.skills that are a nightmare for people like me.. I'm sure he'd find me!?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

BBFAN wrote: »
    I don't think he said it was in Northern Ireland? It was more than likely in the UK if he was trawling "black areas"?

There was plenty of black area's in northern Ireland back in the 80's.

Excuse the pun.

I know what you mean.
    I thought it happened in the north but more than likely England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

tuxy wrote: »

I'd agree. He had a racist reaction. Then thought better if it and has presumably learned from the whole experience. And presumably he's not habitually racist.

The biggest issue I have with the whole thing is people pretending it wasn't a racist reaction.

I completely disagree with the people saying it's normal to want to kill anyone of a race, but he shouldn't say it. It would make it easier to pretend these things don't happen but it's a bit of a mad approach to bury your head in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think John Barnes was spot on in what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yeah but you can't say that were wrong and you regret it nowadays. You say something wrong and you can never EVER be forgiven.

Well if he's able to forgive himself, to hell with everyone else.

Nobody's perfect, he's well able to get on with it.

There's plenty of people in this thread including myself who's said some stupid things in the past.

Sometimes I post something on board's, and I look back and think.
    Oh dear maybe I shouldn't have said that.

This won't effect him, but it's funny watching the PC brigade bouncing off the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

All I know is I watched his film 'The Commuter' on a long-distance flight and it was horrible. It was so bad I spent my entire holiday stalking the streets of New York looking for a Nordie to clobber. Catholic, Protestant, I didn't care; I thought anyone would do.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hold on. He didn't say he looked for a detailed description of the guy so he could find him. Short, talk, fat, thin, light, dark, accent? Any distinctive features?

But he did. On the interview on GMA he clearly said he asked those type of questions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Storm in a teacup. In no way racist. Also to “kill” someone in Irish slang wouldn’t necessarily mean murder. Go out any night and you will hear people shout “I’ll kill you” and it’ll generally be a few slaps. Sure my own mother, when I was in secondary school, would often shout up the stairs “If you still have that Super Nintendo on, ill fcuking kill you”. Now I’m not black, but maybe I can go for the anti-Irish racism angle??

Storm in a teacup. In no way racist. Also to “kill” someone in Irish slang wouldn’t necessarily mean murder. Go out any night and you will hear people shout “I’ll kill you” and it’ll generally be a few slaps. Sure my own mother, when I was in secondary school, would often shout up the stairs “If you still have that Super Nintendo on, ill fcuking kill you”. Now I’m not black, but maybe I can go for the anti-Irish racism angle??

Had your mother got a kosh in her hand and call you a little Irish bastard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

His latest film premiere in new York was just cancelled ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This happened 40 years ago… silly time to bring such things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could be the beginning of the end for him.

What was he thinking?

mad muffin wrote: »
    This happened 40 years ago… silly time to bring such things up.

Yeah but he was the one who brought it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

vargoo wrote: »
    New movie, hmmm, what could we do in the snowflake generation to drum up publicity, hmm, I know, let's make up some black b#stard story, from 40 years ago about a now dead woman.

Boom! Worldwide news.

Don't be stupid no one would make this up to promote a movie given how damaging it is whatever the context is.
    Can't really understand why he shared this, I have no problem with what he said it was an emotional thought he regrets but in this day and age it's never going to come across ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Gatling wrote: »
    His latest film premiere in new York was just cancelled ,

#hashtag

What's totally bizarre is the fact that this was just your standard "promote the movie" interview. :confused::confused:

I honestly think his wifes death had a profound effect on him. I haven't seen an interview since where he hasn't come across as totally weird and before that he was okay. .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

No matter what way you dress up this interview it was wrong on many levels. Calling people snowflakes because they don't agree with you has been taken to an absurd silly level.

Second question to his friend 'what colour was he'. If she said white would his response be i wanted to kill a 'white bastard'?

There's being open and there's pushing the boat out way to far, revealing aspects of your character. All this rubbish about it being 30 years ago. He was in his mid thirties not a teenager ffs.

Saying 'black bas*ard' in a live interview as if there would be no repercussions.

I actually agreed with him mostly on #Me Too getting out of control.

But this interview was racist, stupid and unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BBFAN wrote: »
    What's totally bizarre is the fact that this was just your standard "promote the movie" interview. :confused::confused:

I honestly think his wifes death had a profound effect on him. I haven't seen an interview since where he hasn't come across as totally weird and before that he was okay. .

His nephew passed away there a few weeks ago too.

Marengo wrote: »
    No matter what way you dress up this interview it was wrong on many levels. Calling people snowflakes because they don't agree with you has been taken to an absurd silly level.

Second question to his friend 'what colour was he'. If she said white would his response be i wanted to kill a 'white bastard'?

There's being open and there's pushing the boat out way to far, revealing aspects of your character. All this rubbish about it being 30 years ago. He was in his mid thirties not a teenager ffs.

Saying 'black bas*ard' in a live interview as if there would be no repercussions.

I actually agreed with him mostly on #Me Too getting out of control.

But this interview was racist, stupid and unnecessary.

40 years ago would have made him mid 20s.

Totally different times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

In no way racist.

Comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

rob316 wrote: »
    40 years ago would have made him mid 20s.

Totally different times.

1979, if that's true.

I think most people grew up about race with the CRM in the 1960s.

Pure idiocy and yes racist, targetting a section of the poulation for the actions of an individual.

You look at most of the worldwide public opinion and it's 80:20 against Neeson's comments bar in Ireland, on the Journal and here, where the 'he's one of our own' hypocrisy comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

So let’s get this straight.

Liam Neeson is asked about the subject of revenge and he responds with an anecdote.

His friend was raped by a black man which inflamed his passions and took him to a primordial state of rage where was walking around black neighborhoods hoping to be accosted by a black man so he’d be able to beat them to death with a “cosh” presumably.

He says all this in order to make the point that when our passions are inflamed we do extremely irrational and perhaps evil things that we wouldn’t otherwise do and therefore we all need to be careful to watch our heads and keep under control.

If the only thing you take away from all that is that Liam Neeson is a disgusting racist because of this terrible thing he did decades ago that he now deeply regrets then I’d say your moral priorities are mixed up.

How about we all just show a little bit of grace when people voluntarily admit to terrible things they’ve done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

It was alright to kill a heap of Albanians because of the way they said "good luck".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Nothing to do with being Irish
    Tbe guy opened up and told a story of something he regretted doing in his 20s after he suffered a traumatic event and lost the head . Eventually calmed down and hated himself afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sin City wrote: »
    Tbe guy opened up and told a story of something he regretted doing in his 20s after he suffered a traumatic event and lost the head . Eventually calmed down and hated himself afterwards

Therefor he should be burnt at the stake for the crime of admitting something the thought forty years ago and is now ashamed of.

Glazers Out!

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

He is hoping someone will take on this wish wash of a fairy tale and turn it into a film with him as star cast.

Although what Neeson said was wrong and stupid I wonder what would have happened had a British actor said he was ashamed that, in his past, he was looking to attack an Irish man during the troubles when a friend was injured by the IRA, but never did.

I am sure that he would be criticised but I doubt that it would be such a transatlantic furore about it. So much nonsense about this ephemeral whiteness.

After all people march demanding that we all be killed (we taigs) every year, and no bother to the Brits.

Neeson didn’t SAY anything stupid or wrong.

It was his actions, intent, etc years ago that was wrong.

• Advertisement

1979, if that's true.

I think most people grew up about race with the CRM in the 1960s.

Pure idiocy and yes racist, targetting a section of the poulation for the actions of an individual.

You look at most of the worldwide public opinion and it's 80:20 against Neeson's comments bar in Ireland, on the Journal and here, where the 'he's one of our own' hypocrisy comes into play.

I'd defend him if he was any nationality.

40 years ago, I'm a totally different person to 10 year's ago nevermind 20 or more.

Ireland was an inherently racist country back then, anyone throwing stones at him from that generation is a pure hypocrite.

Why is the news story that he is a brutal racist and not that he’s a guy who was inflamed with racial prejudice after his friend raped by a black and now regrets allowing himself to lose his head?

Why cant anyone prioritize the important take away here?

nullzero wrote: »
    Therefor he should be burnt at the stake for the crime of admitting something the thought forty years ago and is now ashamed of.

Im not saying that
    Im agreeing that he should not be attacked over somethings be did in his 20s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

He's not Irish. Born in the UK and travels on a UK passport. Draped himself in the butchers apron when he accepted an OBE.

Im not saying that
    Im agreeing that he should not be attacked over somethings be did in his 20s

Who here thinks he’s still a racist today?

I don’t understand how that was a hit.

Is that rap? I don’t like rap.

Is that racist?

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Who here thinks he’s still a racist today?

Not a racist

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd defend him if he was any nationality.

40 years ago, I'm a totally different person to 10 year's ago nevermind 20 or more.

Ireland was an inherently racist country back then, anyone throwing stones at him from that generation is a pure hypocrite.

I TOTALLY disagree, Ireland was not a racist county back then because we had NO experience of other races to become racist.

40 years ago I was in school with 1 black guy in the whole school and no-one even had any idea that he was different because we had no idea what different races were so you're anecdote is totally ridiculous.

Quite apart from the fact that Neeson wasn't living in Ireland at the time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Neeson didn’t SAY anything stupid or wrong.

It was his actions, intent, etc years ago that was wrong.

Well that's what I thought at first. But it seems there are those who are disgusted he recounted this at all, not that he thought what he thought yonks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It has always happened and will continue to happen in the future ,
    When people feel they have been attacked by someone of another race , religion or creed or hairstyle ,
    The agrevied will seek out and punish those who they believed hurt them or their loved one's,

It's natural behaviour people can cry racism all they like neither is right

• Advertisement
Advertisement