Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Neeson has landed himself in a spot of trouble

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Neeson didn’t SAY anything stupid or wrong.

he did though, like his comments on #metoo, he was stupid to say it, but he was damn right to think it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

The BBC must at once pencil Liam in for a sketch on Comic Relief. He will walk down a British street with a metal bar. The first black man he will see is Lenny Henry and he will attempt to kill him in comedic fashion.

If Lenny agrees to this and takes it in the good spirit intended he could save Liam's career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sin City wrote: »
    Im not saying that
    Im agreeing that he should not be attacked over somethings be did in his 20s

I was agreeing with you too, i was lampooning the popular consensus.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Gatling wrote: »
    It has always happened and will continue to happen in the future ,
    When people feel they have been attacked by someone of another race , religion or creed or hairstyle ,
    The agrevied will seek out and punish those who they believed hurt them or their loved one's,

It's natural behaviour people can cry racism all they like neither is right

You see this is what I don't get.

It is NOT natural behaviour to blame a whole race of people for something one of them carried out.

Don't care what way you look at it, it is not NORMAL nor NATURAL.

Only in your mind pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I'd agree. He had a racist reaction. Then thought better if it and has presumably learned from the whole experience. And presumably he's not habitually racist.

The biggest issue I have with the whole thing is people pretending it wasn't a racist reaction.

I completely disagree with the people saying it's normal to want to kill anyone of a race, but he shouldn't say it. It would make it easier to pretend these things don't happen but it's a bit of a mad approach to bury your head in the sand.

It was a racist reaction and a very understandable one, and I haven’t seen any post saying it was racist. What people are saying is reacting that way back then doesn’t make him a racist now.

Someone he cared about was raped. It made him angry (he said he had been away at the time) and he no way to vent his anger in a healthy way. He ended up wanting to go out looking for trouble and to hurt someone. I’d say that is a normal, human reaction.

It is not a good or healthy one, but quite understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd defend him if he was any nationality.

40 years ago, I'm a totally different person to 10 year's ago nevermind 20 or more.

Ireland was an inherently racist country back then, anyone throwing stones at him from that generation is a pure hypocrite.

Like it or not his comments are racist and show race hatred. There's an idea ot there about freedom of speech and you can say what you want...you can't.

If someone said something along the same lines about killing an Irish bast*rd we'd all have a long memory.

He needs to be taken aside and told you can say a lot and say nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

His latest film premiere in new York was just cancelled ,

Link? I heard that it was closed to press/media

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

It was a racist reaction and a very understandable one, and I haven’t seen any post saying it was racist. What people are saying is reacting that way back then doesn’t make him a racist now.

Someone he cared about was raped. It made him angry (he said he had been away at the time) and he no way to vent his anger in a healthy way. He ended up wanting to go out looking for trouble and to hurt someone. I’d say that is a normal, human reaction.

It is not a good or healthy one, but quite understandable.

No, it's not understandable.

If someone raped my sister (who is much closer than a friend), my reaction is not to go out looking for someone similar to that person to kill them.

And I know that because I have had a sister who was raped.

My reaction was certainly to got out and kill the particular person who carried out the crime but not anyone who was similar to them.

There's something gone wrong in your thinking if you think that reaction is normal.

BBFAN wrote: »
    Had your mother got a kosh in her hand and call you a little Irish bastard?

It called a cosh and Irish Mammy needs such a thing. The hand does plenty damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So people don't get or will happily lie to give themselves some kind or moral high ground .

I'd rather someone who isn't afraid to speak their mind rather than hiding behind some fauxrage

It called a cosh and Irish Mammy needs such a thing. The hand does plenty damage.

How many mammies ruled with a wooden spoon are they all child abusers absolutely not .

Say boo to an adult or use cap's in text form they suddenly develop PTSD

Storm in a teacup. In no way racist. Also to “kill” someone in Irish slang wouldn’t necessarily mean murder. Go out any night and you will hear people shout “I’ll kill you” and it’ll generally be a few slaps. Sure my own mother, when I was in secondary school, would often shout up the stairs “If you still have that Super Nintendo on, ill fcuking kill you”. Now I’m not black, but maybe I can go for the anti-Irish racism angle??

There was times when I was blank & blue and I’m fairly sure my mother did actually kill me. I saw that light people go on about but they wouldn’t let me in because she wasn’t finished with me.

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd defend him if he was any nationality.

40 years ago, I'm a totally different person to 10 year's ago nevermind 20 or more.

Ireland was an inherently racist country back then, anyone throwing stones at him from that generation is a pure hypocrite.

The likes of Phil Lynott and Paul McGrath put up with sh*t from a minority of lowlifes 40-50 years ago. And if Neeson held the mentality that because an individual committed a crime, his whole race was to blame, he's just one of those racists from 40-50 years ago. Saying everyone was racist then is rubbish. A lot helped those from racial minorities and passed no seem on the difference.

A shut mouth catches no flies. Needlessly making a tool of himself.

Marengo wrote: »
    No matter what way you dress up this interview it was wrong on many levels. Calling people snowflakes because they don't agree with you has been taken to an absurd silly level.

Second question to his friend 'what colour was he'. If she said white would his response be i wanted to kill a 'white bastard'?

There's being open and there's pushing the boat out way to far, revealing aspects of your character. All this rubbish about it being 30 years ago. He was in his mid thirties not a teenager ffs.

Saying 'black bas*ard' in a live interview as if there would be no repercussions.

I actually agreed with him mostly on #Me Too getting out of control.

But this interview was racist, stupid and unnecessary.

This is a prime example of people not actually reading the story.

It was 40 years ago not 30.

And it was not a live interview.

For goodness sake, you are actually on the internet when you were typing that. Could you not read the whole story beforehand?

judeboy101 wrote: »
    He's not Irish. Born in the UK and travels on a UK passport. Draped himself in the butchers apron when he accepted an OBE.

Is that racist?

• Advertisement

he did though, like his comments on #metoo, he was stupid to say it, but he was damn right to think it

I was talking about the current incident and I believe so was the guy I was responding too.

I wasn’t thinking of the me too stuff - I don’t know what he said about that and only heard mention of it on the news tonight.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

His comment is like saying "whenever I see a Muslim, I deep down think they are a terrorist..."

There are ALOT of people who think this.

This is a prime example of people not actually reading the story.

It was 40 years ago not 30.

And it was not a live interview.

For goodness sake, you are actually on the internet when you were typing that. Could you not read the whole story beforehand?

Spoon Farmer.

It's irrelevant whether it was 30 or 40 years ago. He's not from the Blue Stack Mountains in Kerry. Being from the city of Belfast he should definitely be aware about tarring a whole community with the one brush.

The 1960s CRM in the US opened the world's eyes to issues of race.

I presume you're on the internet when posting!!

A friend was raped. Question 2. What colour was he? Reaction, not revenge on the individual but one of his race. Conclusion, if you want revenge it should be him or perhaps a family member. If you want to kill one of his race it's a little irrational.. Actually RACIST.

This rubbish about time limits.

Hey i was in South Africa and killed someone. Now on the plus side it was 40 years ago, and he was black. So a lot of blacks were killed then. I think it's awful now in hindsight.

QED. I'm one of the good guys, hurray!!

Actually RACIST.

Actually ANGRY slightly misguided anger .

Someone somewhere wants to beat you and me up for using cap's .

• Advertisement

It is NOT natural behaviour to blame a whole race of people for something one of them carried out.

Don't care what way you look at it, it is not NORMAL nor NATURAL.

Only in your mind pal.

Incorrect.

It is how a great many humans have reacted for centuries. We all experience it and anyone who says different is a liar.

A primordial, illogical violent aspect of the species but the fact is it is normal and natural.

However normal and natural doesn’t not mean it is right and we are supposed to be better than that.

Neeson proved he is better than that because both his conscience and his friend (the actual real victim in this story) got the better of that violent urge.

Actually ANGRY slightly misguided anger .

Someone somewhere wants to beat you and me up for using cap's .

You can dress up anything the way you want. Hitler's genocide of the Jews.. at the end of the day misguided anger and resentment that got out of control.

BRING IT ON:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ixus wrote: »
    It was alright to kill a heap of Albanians because of the way they said "good luck".

Marco from Tropoya the schnakey hoor.

Like it or not his comments are racist and show race hatred. There's an idea ot there about freedom of speech and you can say what you want...you can't.

If someone said something along the same lines about killing an Irish bast*rd we'd all have a long memory.

He needs to be taken aside and told you can say a lot and say nothing.

Which of Neeson’s comments in that interview are racist?

Who are you to disagree with John Barnes? A man who has actually experienced racism?

Nobody has the right to take anyone “aside” and dictate what they can and cannot day. The Nazis lost the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

judeboy101 wrote: »
    He's not Irish. Born in the UK and travels on a UK passport. Draped himself in the butchers apron when he accepted an OBE.

Born in Antrim raised a Catholic, he's Irish. I think your thinking about Daniel day Lewis

Butchers apron? Have a lie down

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Much ado about fúck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barnes shut down this entire nonsense and it's pity more won't listen to him. Barnes, a man who would have been subjected to vile racism as a player in the 80s.

Incorrect.

It is how a great many humans have reacted for centuries. We all experience it and anyone who says different is a liar.

A primordial, illogical violent aspect of the species but the fact is it is normal and natural.

However normal and natural doesn’t not mean it is right and we are supposed to be better than that.

Neeson proved he is better than that because both his conscience and his friend (the actual real victim in this story) got the better of that violent urge.

Why would he ask was it a black person in Belfast 1960s, when there were few around, as his second question? Sounds like he had race problems.

BS praise that he got the better of his urge:D How would you know he got the better of his urge or just got lucky no black person crossed him? Are you a mind reader?

Ok so i'm RC. If my Catholic sister gets raped by a COI man i get my cosh and do in one? It's not a natural reaction in as many instances as you seem to think.

So you're incorrect sir.

antodeco wrote: »
    His comment is like saying "whenever I see a Muslim, I deep down think they are a terrorist..."

There are ALOT of people who think this.

That's a lot of idiots so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I almost never side with SJWs on any issue, not even years ago when SJWism was trendy. But I'm gonna have to say I'm siding with them here - I think this was racist and terrible of Neeson. This is not "har, the SJWs are at it again" type of thing.

I'm not confusing the act itself with him bringing it up again now - there are plenty of dumb things we have all thought or said many years ago that should never be aired or given the light of day. Maybe one to tell his therapist/psychologist while feeling embarrassed about it and in a very sensitive way, NOT to throw it out in an public tv interview fecklessly.

• Advertisement

No, it's not understandable.

If someone raped my sister (who is much closer than a friend), my reaction is not to go out looking for someone similar to that person to kill them.

And I know that because I have had a sister who was raped.

My reaction was certainly to got out and kill the particular person who carried out the crime but not anyone who was similar to them.

There's something gone wrong in your thinking if you think that reaction is normal.

No one knows who this friend is so you really have no right to comment on the closeness of their relationship. Some people are closure to friends than they are to blood.

It is normal because human beings are are a violent species.

It is normal because not everyone thinks or reacts on the same way.

It is normal because Neeson was in a situation different to yours.

You sit there and claim Neeson’s reaction to kill anyone black is not normal but you admit you wanted to kill someone. How is normal for you to want to kill anyone?

The only difference between you and Neeson is that you knew who the degenerate was - he had no target for his anger.

Of all the people here it should be you who understands the man’s rage and should be disgusted that issue here is “racism” is not the abuse of women.

I almost never side with SJWs on any issue, not even years ago when SJWism was trendy. But I'm gonna have to say I'm siding with them here - I think this was racist and terrible of Neeson.

So does he. That seems lost on a lot of people though, probably purposefully.

I almost never side with SJWs on any issue, not even years ago when SJWism was trendy. But I'm gonna have to say I'm siding with them here - I think this was racist and terrible of Neeson. This is not "har, the SJWs are at it again" type of thing.

I'm not confusing the act itself with him bringing it up again now - there are plenty of dumb things we have all thought or said many years ago that should never be aired or given the light of day. Maybe one to tell his therapist/psychologist while feeling embarrassed about it and in a very sensitive way, NOT to throw it out in an public tv interview fecklessly.

Exactly. My opinion too. I've never been on the side of SJWism on a thread bar anti Fox Hunting!

I eat red meat, i like straight talkers, i don't take offence easily:D But Neeson crossed the line. You can't be condoning someone who wants brownie points for overcoming racism. All he was doing was bigging himself up as the 'matured' adult.

The likes of Phil Lynott and Paul McGrath put up with sh*t from a minority of lowlifes 40-50 years ago. And if Neeson held the mentality that because an individual committed a crime, his whole race was to blame, he's just one of those racists from 40-50 years ago. Saying everyone was racist then is rubbish. A lot helped those from racial minorities and passed no seem on the difference.

A shut mouth catches no flies. Needlessly making a tool of himself.

No body said everyone was racist back then. They said it was different time and people thought differently.

Neeson reaction to hurt any black man because of one degenerate was wrong. He said that his self and if you paid attention to his story you understand that he also came to that realisation after a few days.

He didn’t actually hurt anyon and he doesn’t hold the same views that he had in those few days.

A person would have to be one dopey dingus not to understand the point of the story and it is ironic you saying he made a tool of himself. I’m sure there is an equivalent for the shut mouth/flies thing in regards to a keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Liam was an absolute donkey for even contemplating admitting to having these thoughts so publically.

Liam has just made himself a sacrificial lamb for the latest social media witch hunt.

The amount of air play this is getting is staggering, it's as if this is the single most important thing happening in the world right now.

You would think a man of his age and knowledge would have more sense than to voice these thoughts. I genuinely feel sorry for him, he has unwittingly fcuked up his career and forever will be Remembered as that guy who wanted to killl some random black dude.

The media frenzy around this is like feeding time at the zoo, poor Liam is fcuked.

Who are you to disagree with John Barnes? A man who has actually experienced racism?

Nobody has the right to take anyone “aside” and dictate what they can and cannot day. The Nazis lost the war.

Ah come off it!

No body said everyone was racist back then. They said it was different time and people thought differently.

Neeson reaction to hurt any black man because of one degenerate was wrong. He said that his self and if you paid attention to his story you understand that he also came to that realisation after a few days.

He didn’t actually hurt anyon and he doesn’t hold the same views that he had in those few days.

A person would have to be one dopey dingus not to understand the point of the story and it is ironic you saying he made a tool of himself. I’m sure there is an equivalent for the shut mouth/flies thing in regards to a keyboard.

He made a tool of himself. Story meant to enhance his reputation goes horribly wrong. Telling stories about self improvement which are full of anecdotes which are inherently racist are wrong. End of. I hope you find the keyboard you're looking for.

Liam was an absolute donkey for even contemplating admitting to having these thoughts so publically.

Liam has just made himself a sacrificial lamb for the latest social media witch hunt.

The amount of air play this is getting is staggering, it's as if this is the single most important thing happening in the world right now.

You would think a man of his age and knowledge would have more sense than to voice these thoughts. I genuinely feel sorry for him, he has unwittingly fcuked up his career and forever will be Remembered as that guy who wanted to killl some random black dude.

The media frenzy around this is like feeding time at the zoo, poor Liam is fcuked.

Exactly. Showed a complete lack of awareness. He's 66, that conversation didn't have to be made with the world through tv.

I stand over saying he made a tool of himself.

Spoon Farmer.

It's irrelevant whether it was 30 or 40 years ago. He's not from the Blue Stack Mountains in Kerry. Being from the city of Belfast he should definitely be aware about tarring a whole community with the one brush.

The 1960s CRM in the US opened the world's eyes to issues of race.

I presume you're on the internet when posting!!

A friend was raped. Question 2. What colour was he? Reaction, not revenge on the individual but one of his race. Conclusion, if you want revenge it should be him or perhaps a family member. If you want to kill one of his race it's a little irrational.. Actually RACIST.

It is Spon - I mean the name is right there in your screen.

“The details of the story are irrelevant”? Well now aren’t you the very person who should be on jury.

He was angry and not thinking rationally. It is a thing that many people experience. Are you claiming you have never wronged anyone or unjustly thought ill of anyone? Are you seriously claiming you’ve never had a racist or predjudiced thought against anyone or any group? Because I’m pretty sure you just passed such a comment about Kerry people being ignorant.

Race relations in 1960s America have nothing to do with any of this.

Yes according to Neeson’s story he specifically asked about the degenerates skin colour. If you logic to think about instead of just hating on Neeson you would understand that there was obviously a reason why he would ask that - the area they lived in, previous assaults on women, etc - and obviously Neeson is not recounting the entire conversation.

Yes the reaction to find a black man to lash at was irrationally and racist. The point is that Neeson evolved from the man of hate in those few days to someone better. I don’t know why this is so difficult for you to understand. He didn’t hurt anyone and still feels the shame of it. He just isn’t a coward who would rather keep his mouth shut.

Neeson got over his anger at something he had a right to be angry about. Yet you can’t get over something that never actually happened and have no right to be angry about at all.

• Advertisement

It's interesting that so many ex-KKK members are lauded for changing their ways, when Neeson had these thoughts for a while after a traumatic event, didn't act on them, talks about it decades later, and is attacked.

I guess it would make witch hunts more difficult if the concept of personal growth was accepted. Stuff from the past would lose its power to cripple.

Who am i to disagree with John Barnes?

Is there some sort of constitutional clause that no one, or at least certain people, can't disagree with John Barnes? I'm not aware of it..

For every John Barnes there might be 20 footballers, throughout all the league divisions, who disagree with John Barnes.

Please find them and reprimand them for disagreeing with John Barnes as it's clearly against the rules.

Ah come off it!

Translation - you are unable to answer the queation

Who am i to disagree with John Barnes?

Is there some sort of constitutional clause that no one, or at least certain people, can't disagree with John Barnes? I'm not aware of it..

For every John Barnes there might be 20 footballers, throughout all the league divisions, who disagree with John Barnes.

Please find them and reprimand them for disagreeing with John Barnes as it's clearly against the rules.

So are you purposefully ignoring the colour of your own skin and the fact that you never experienced racial predujuce or are you too thick to understand ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Marengo wrote:
    Ah come off it!

Ah come off it you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Exactly. Showed a complete lack of awareness. He's 66, that conversation didn't have to be made with the world through tv.

I stand over saying he made a tool of himself.

Serious amounts of people are totally ignoring in what spirit and context the admission was said and are to busy lashing out in faux outrage.

It's obvious in what context and spirit these comments were made, but people ignore that and are interpreting them in how best suits their agenda.

I wanna shake Liam and say WTF were you thinking.......!

• Advertisement

He made a tool of himself. Story meant to enhance his reputation goes horribly wrong. Telling stories about self improvement which are full of anecdotes which are inherently racist are wrong. End of. I hope you find the keyboard you're looking for.

How is the story racist?

Don’t use the tired “ah come if it” or whatever and have the courage to explain yourself.

How is the story tat Neeson told racist?

It is Spon - I mean the name is right there in your screen.

“The details of the story are irrelevant”? Well now aren’t you the very person who should be on jury.

He was angry and not thinking rationally. It is a thing that many people experience. Are you claiming you have never wronged anyone or unjustly thought ill of anyone? Are you seriously claiming you’ve never had a racist or predjudiced thought against anyone or any group? Because I’m pretty sure you just passed such a comment about Kerry people being ignorant.

Race relations in 1960s America have nothing to do with any of this.

Yes according to Neeson’s story he specifically asked about the degenerates skin colour. If you logic to think about instead of just hating on Neeson you would understand that there was obviously a reason why he would ask that - the area they lived in, previous assaults on women, etc - and obviously Neeson is not recounting the entire conversation.

Yes the reaction to find a black man to lash at was irrationally and racist. The point is that Neeson evolved from the man of hate in those few days to someone better. I don’t know why this is so difficult for you to understand. He didn’t hurt anyone and still feels the shame of it. He just isn’t a coward who would rather keep his mouth shut.

Neeson got over his anger at something he had a right to be angry about. Yet you can’t get over something that never actually happened and have no right to be angry about at all.

Spon, Spoon whatever.

Race relations in the US were beamed through tv into homes in the 60s. Everything to do with it. A generation were educted by it.

When i said the Blue Stacks in Kerry i was referring to an isolated area in rural Ireland like my home place, in general cities like Belfast experience social change more quickly. You made an assumption i was calling Kerry people ignorant. Obviously trolling. I was referring to the pace of social change in cities v rural areas.

Where did you get this from? “The details of the story are irrelevant”?

Saying he's a great brave man is BS. He only told about his evolution to paint himself as the big man. His judgement in sharing a story of race hate on tv is really poor. Shows he hasn't evolved at all.

How is the story racist?

Don’t use the tired “ah come if it” or whatever and have the courage to explain yourself.

How is the story tat Neeson told racist?

1. I asked what colour he was?

2. I wanted to kill a black person.

3. The us of the term 'Black Bastard'.

Does it have to be spealt out?? You have to have judgement in what you tell on tv.

And we're all to believe that now he has remorse and is a great guy? If he shut up in the first place he'd be better. What did he want to achieve? How far i've come, ain't i great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

His latest film premiere in new York was just cancelled ,

It’s just the red carpet that has been cancelled, the screening is still going ahead. I’m sure they want to keep him away from the microphones :D god love him the big eejit

Serious amounts of people are totally ignoring in what spirit and context the admission was said and are to busy lashing out in faux outrage.

It's obvious in what context and spirit these comments were made, but people ignore that and are interpreting them in how best suits their agenda.

I wanna shake Liam and say WTF were you thinking.......!

Yes people like to gallop around on their high horses and the media are only too happy to lead them along.

I applaud Neeson for telling the story, detailing how his thinking was very wrong and how he snapped out of it. It took courage.

However I also want to sit him down and say “sham, what the f*** were you thinking” because as this forum proves there are just too many ignorants gobs who get off on misunderstanding things like this.

I wonder how many of these dopes criticising Neeson enjoy watching Mark Wahlberg movies? Or is actually hurting people okay?

If that guy can have have a career I think Neeson will be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement