Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Slide replacement?

Options
  • 04-02-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    What is involved in importing a replacement slide for a pistol?

Is an import license required? (the slide is not numbered the frame is)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

dc99 wrote: »
    Hi,
    What is involved in importing a replacement slide for a pistol?

Is an import license required? (the slide is not numbered the frame is)

Thanks

As far as I know, Yep, it's a component of a firearm and technically needs an import permit.

According to the manual on the movement of firearms, ammunition, etc...into/out of state...

"Firearm is outlined as Any object:

(I) Manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and

(II) Without which it could not function as originally designed"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Restricted or unrestricted?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

amadablam wrote: »
    As far as I know, Yep, it's a component of a firearm and technically needs an import permit.

According to the manual on the movement of firearms, ammunition, etc...into/out of state...

"Firearm is outlined as Any object:

(I) Manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and

(II) Without which it could not function as originally designed"
    IIRC none of that matters if it's for a firearm that you already have licenced.
    Furthermore it has to be s part that's imported fir outside the EU.

No it may require an export licence which requires an import licence. Etc etc.
    Open to correction but I definitely read something to that effect here s few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

Why not get a decent gun dealer to do this for you.
    They import a slide and then you do the substitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

jb88 wrote: »

What substitution? There's none required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

jb88 wrote: »

Why add another 50/100 euros to a bill that you can do yourself?

The only reason for using a GD for this would be you have purchased a gun outside the state and need the storage facilities pending license issuance in Ireland, and you use the dealer to do the import.

http://justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/eu_individuals_importing

As it is a Cat D under Council Directive 91 477 EEC [now utterly outdated info on the DOJ website, since EU firearms directive 2017 is in force]
    It is Any essential component of such firearm and you need the import permit for a sale it within the EU.

Notice it is rather vague as to what an essential component actually is under Irish law. Some EU states consider only the barrel, bolt and breech, IE pressure bearing components to be licensable parts,and the slide to be a free part.
    The DOJ issue these permits for free,so get one anyway and have the paperwork correct. Better to have too much paperwork,than too little.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Cass. Its a .22, so unrestricted. Doent really matter now i got a rough pricce for part and shipping, from germany....nearly cheaper to buy a new gun....the replacement did have everythi g fitted (thag i dont need).

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

Sorry for poor spelling. Working on phone screen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What pistol might it be, that has a separate breechblock component

Luger P08? [Toggle lock ]
    Ruger mk 1 to 4 onwards.As such they dont have slides,the bolt serves as a slide

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The image of the Walther in this link clearly shows the Ulm Proof House markings on the breechblock - which is integral with the barrel, and the slide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_test

• Advertisement
Advertisement