Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurb and Extension - Architect required?

Options
  • 04-02-2019 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me.

We are in the process of bidding on 1960s semi-d houses in north Dublin. We are hoping to refurb the house and add a 30m2 extension at the rear.

We are hoping to purchase one that does not need a total new wire or plumb. We would be hoping to insulate and upgrade a few bits and pieces and windows/doors.

We are wondering if we actually need an architect for this try of job or would an engineer/QS be the best option or even go direct to a builder. The extension would be your basic kitchen/dining.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It's in your own interest to have some sort of professional on your side, to protect your investment. Architect not absolutely necessary....could be architectural technician, engineer or buliding surveyor.

Sammy96 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me.

We are in the process of bidding on 1960s semi-d houses in north Dublin. We are hoping to refurb the house and add a 30m2 extension at the rear.

We are hoping to purchase one that does not need a total new wire or plumb. We would be hoping to insulate and upgrade a few bits and pieces and windows/doors.

We are wondering if we actually need an architect for this try of job or would an engineer/QS be the best option or even go direct to a builder. The extension would be your basic kitchen/dining.

Thanks in advance. :)

Did a very similar job. Got an engineer and he drew some initial plans but they were quite basic and didn't really maximise the potential so got an architect on board just to re-do drawings and we got an awful lot more from him. It was well worth the money getting him on board.

Not to alarm you, but the upgrading of 'a few bits and pieces' can cost a huge amount of money and before purchasing you should be aware of the potential costs involved. Very often there are huge hidden costs involved in renovating such properties. Get a builder to cost it and then QS/engineer to give you a realistic guide price in advance. Then add 20% if you want a more realistic price!

Advertisement