Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I just learn off answers in Irish

Options
  • 04-02-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I make sure not to do this for french or english. I actually hate the whole learning off answers thing and prefer to come up with my own and it works and i get good marks in both french and english...

but I Hate Irish so much and to be honest I'd rather give more time to maths and AP Maths and my three sciences (chem, bio and phys) than to spend any more time on this worthless subject. I love French but despise Irish. Can I just learn off answers for the poetry and stories questions? My revise wise has sample answers and at this point, I'm thinking of just learning them off. I've tried so hard to get good at this subject. Learn vocab every day, do comprehensions every week, answer questions on poetry but nothing works and I always seem to get a H4 in every single test and I do HL Irish. I'm a H4 student in Irish and I cannot see myself getting better after I've tried so hard and I don't want to invest any more time trying to get better either. Irish is actually making my other subjects suffer.

I love all my subjects. I adore maths, applied maths, english, french, biology physics and chemistry

but Irish is just an exception and I don't want to do OL because I just wouldn't feel good if I did OL in a subject

My goal is to do computer science or engineering and Irish just does not fit that goal. I can't believe I still struggle with our native language after so many years studying it. It's just unbelievable and I know more French than Irish at this point

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How can you learn off answers if you do not know the questions you will be asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

naxmax9 wrote: »

but Irish is just an exception and I don't want to do OL because I just wouldn't feel good if I did OL in a subject I know more French than Irish at this point

Bite on the bullet and switch to Ordinary Level.

It will be simpler to study, save you a lot of time to give your other preferred subjects, and spare you the energy of worrying about it.

In years to come you will likely find that you remember far more of the Irish than you think...

but for now, make the decision, don't look back. #Grownups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bartera3

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Bite on the bullet and switch to Ordinary Level.

It will be simpler to study, save you a lot of time to give your other preferred subjects, and spare you the energy of worrying about it.

In years to come you will likely find that you remember far more of the Irish than you think...

but for now, make the decision, don't look back. #Grownups

Couldn't agree more, do the ordinary level Irish and focus on making sure you do well in the subjects that are more geared towards the course you want to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

If your only reason for not doing OL irish is feeling bad about it then you should definitely give serious consideration to switching.

For the record, 99% of students who get a H1/H2 in HL Irish have learned answers off like a prayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cheminho

I would definitely switch to OL, there's absolutely no need to feel bad about doing so either. It seems like the most logical thing to do in order to focus on the uther subjects which you seem to really enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You are rated on your 6 best subjects for points.

If you have 6 other subjects which you are comfortable with and are confident in getting more points than you would in Irish then it would make sense to drop down to OL Irish and forget about using Irish to get points. Use your 6 other subjects to maximise your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Noveight wrote: »
    If your only reason for not doing OL irish is feeling bad about it then you should definitely give serious consideration to switching.

For the record, 99% of students who get a H1/H2 in HL Irish have learned answers off like a prayer.

Definitely not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

hasdanta wrote: »
    Definitely not true

It's absolutely true, unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

doolox wrote: »
    You are rated on your 6 best subjects for points.

If you have 6 other subjects which you are comfortable with and are confident in getting more points than you would in Irish then it would make sense to drop down to OL Irish and forget about using Irish to get points. Use your 6 other subjects to maximise your points.

This.

I did exactly the same thing in my own Leaving Cert, a good few years ago now. Even then, you could only score points for six subjects, so I concentrated on the others and got all A and B grades in either Higher or Common papers (and the fact that I'm referring to Common papers probably shows how long ago it was!).

Did Ordinary Level Irish, and picked up the D grade that was a minimum university entrance requirement, without doing any study or revision at all. The points I got from the six subjects I concentrated on instead were more than enough to get me the course I wanted.

No reason you shouldn't do the same yourself. Drop down to OL, just do enough to get a pass grade (which might be very little or nothing at all in your case as well), and concentrate on the subjects you enjoy and that you think will be more useful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

Duffryman wrote: »
    This.

I did exactly the same thing in my own Leaving Cert, a good few years ago now. Even then, you could only score points for six subjects, so I concentrated on the others and got all A and B grades in either Higher or Common papers (and the fact that I'm referring to Common papers probably shows how long ago it was!).

Did Ordinary Level Irish, and picked up the D grade that was a minimum university entrance requirement, without doing any study or revision at all. The points I got from the six subjects I concentrated on instead were more than enough to get me the course I wanted.

No reason you shouldn't do the same yourself. Drop down to OL, just do enough to get a pass grade (which might be very little or nothing at all in your case as well), and concentrate on the subjects you enjoy and that you think will be more useful to you.

Agree with him. If you have 8 subjects and have no interest in Irish and/or English, drop at least one of them to OL since both are pretty useless as far as university entry is concerned. Try not to drop Maths unless you absolutely despise it and won’t be going anywhere near it in university.

Some background information here, I’m in fifth year and dropped to OL Irish in October (wanted originally to do OL English with 7HLs, but Ms Career Guidance Counsellor said I was too good for OL, even if it was consistently my most hated and worst performed subject throughout third year). I admit that HL English does teach you some incredibly useful skills that I would definitely want to improve in the future, but I feel that doing OL wouldn’t really impair me since I can just get better at it after the LC points race, but whatever. I’m a crap writer anyway, you’re probably not. OL Irish is a blessing compared to HL since you don’t have to have that same “literary” standard of Irish compared to Higher (and not having to worry about the unacceptable amount of learning off in the subject). I IS a big weight off my shoulders and if you’re struggling with the workload, you should do the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement