Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on long overdue upgrade

Options
  • 04-02-2019 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭

So been thinking my rig needs an overhaul, lots of newer games are stuttering more and more, and want some advice on a parts pick.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dNGZ7W

Not really up to speed on if the 20xx range of Nvidias are good or bad, but a few folks here are saying the RX Vegas are nice. Have a case and HDDs, and dont think my DVD drive has been connected to the mainboard for about 6 years now :D Might also be able to get a 850w my brother never used (didnt fit his case) and my current cpu cooler.

(For reference, currently have an i5-4650, 8Gb DDR3 and a GTX970.....yeah, been a while!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

A cheaper upgrade that would get you 80-90% there would just be to pick up an i7 4790, another 8gb of DDR3 (optional), and an RTX2060 or Vega 56(64) or RX 580/590. Make sure your are using an SSD as your boot drive.

If you aren't in any rush and still intent on building a new system, it might be worth waiting until summer/autumn to see where AMD's new CPUs land. An i7 9700K would have been a really nice upgrade, but at €425 it's a hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I originally looked at the i7-9700k but between the cost of the chip and then a board that wouldnt need a BIOS update (always got hardware conflicts on the PartPicker no matter which affordable mainboard I picked) I figured its easier to get a cheaper one. Its gonna be a gaming only rig, no VR or hard rendering so dont need a hugely overpowered CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If you go AMD on CPU (Ryzen 2600 on B450 motherboard) you both future-proof it a bit better (12 threads to 9600K's 6, better CPU upgrade path) and bring the overall cost down, allowing more budget for GPU.

Also AFAIK the Vega CPUs perform better when paired with AMD CPUs than with Intel ones.

Looked into AMD chips and came up with this.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vpjFLJ

Seems like it would manage for the next few years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Looked into AMD chips and came up with this.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/vpjFLJ

Seems like it would manage for the next few years :P

Note that mindfactory don't ship to ireland. You should be able to get a similar price on overclockers.co.uk though, and it would come with free games :D

• Advertisement

There is always something , isnt there :rolleyes:

Yeah, had been glancing at OverClockers before found the PCparts site, Vega 64 seems to come out at around the same price there anyways. And a free copy of DMCV is always good :D

:EDIT: Well placed the orders (PSU wouldnt ship to Ireland, so had to get it for slightly more from Amazon.uk). Thanks for the hints n' tips everyone.

Advertisement