Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoneDeal Scam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You'd be surprised

I'd be very surprised.

The end game is still 0 money back and no phone. Get the name and address and he might get some swift action today besides that not worth pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'd be very surprised.

The end game is still 0 money back and no phone. Get the name and address and he might get some swift action today besides that not worth pursuing.

Right so. I'm finished here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

drunkmonkey you are actually annoying now.
    read above, plenty of reasons to report and people have gotten their money back and stopped scammers in their tracks.

I believe even more so now that you have something to hide with your attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I'd be very surprised.

I don’t see the point in being so discouraging to the OP or to other people who might read this thread one day if they find themselves in a similar situation.

At the end of the day the OP has written evidence of a verbal agreement to trade the phone for money. The AIB account number is known. It will depend on the Guard the OP gets but hopefully they will be of some help. Plenty of people have given anecdotes as to how they were assisted by the bank and the guards in the same situation. So no point in putting down these ideas over and over, what is to be gained?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Again where's the proof of theft. Op handed over cash on goodwill that an item would be posted. That item never arrived. I'm not seeing any crime your going to be granted a court order for.

If the person did not post an item that was paid for then it is fraud.

That is not a civil matter but a criminal one and it would be pursued by an Gardai.

Heard plenty of times about it happening before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

The address given was for a holiday village

Just thinking out loud here, wondering if that holiday village is used to house asylum seekers like the Mosney camp in Meath? Or temporary emergency accommodation?

I don’t see the point in being so discouraging to the OP or to other people who might read this thread one day if they find themselves in a similar situation.

At the end of the day the OP has written evidence of a verbal agreement to trade the phone for money. The AIB account number is known. It will depend on the Guard the OP gets but hopefully they will be of some help. Plenty of people have given anecdotes as to how they were assisted by the bank and the guards in the same situation. So no point in putting down these ideas over and over, what is to be gained?

There is no proof she did or didn't send the phone if you want to send op on a merry dance around the court system for nothing work away. The money is gone it won't be coming back. You can't get blood from a stone.

Hold up there's another ad collection only. I'd be dropping down to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

Hold up there's another ad collection only. I'd be dropping down to collect.
    When you were dealing with seller did you ever ask about IMEI? Hopefuly she send you Iphone, but what will you do if it is icloud locked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

You'd just be wasting Gardai time tbh. These foreign gangs do this for a living. Not a hope of catching them, or getting your money back.

• Advertisement

asgaard wrote: »
    When you were dealing with seller did you ever ask about IMEI? Hopefuly she send you Iphone, but what will you do if it is icloud locked?

Not my iPhone but you can get past iCloud lock it's expensive though. Just under €200 for an X, xS is just shy of €300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It was an AIB Account as a matter of fact. As a result there's maybe a possibility they have an address and phone number for the seller. Who knows?

They absolutely do have contact details. But they will 110% not give them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Is there anything to be gained from not reporting it? I don't think so, only making it easier for future scammers to get away with it. I wish I was shocked by the "sur' nothing will happen" attitude being shown here, but it's just that attitude that makes people easy pushovers.

Report it to the Gardai, Lodge a complaint with your bank. It won't take long to do and may result in you helping other people avoiding being scammed, or you may end up getting your money back. There's no downside to reporting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am not sure why people would say not to report it and not to report it to the Bank?

I had an issue with my card earlier in year, money came out for Uber, I hadn't ever used Uber. Rang them and within 1 minute I was talking to the Fraud department. They locked it down etc

I know the person transferred the money but it is still fraud. Simple as that. I would be on the phone to bank and garda ASAP......

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I worked on a project in a bank once, I can tell you they take fraud/ money laundering very very seriously and will def listen.

Also regards the sort code being in a different location to the address, the branch I opened my account in, in college is about 200miles from where I live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

There is no proof she did or didn't send the phone if you want to send op on a merry dance around the court system for nothing work away. The money is gone it won't be coming back. You can't get blood from a stone.

If the seller doesn’t have proof of postage then it’s not sent....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Killarney2988

Thanks to all contributors. I made the call to AIB and they've taken my statement and forwarded the information onto the AIB fraud team who I was told will attempt to return the funds to me if they are still in the offenders account. I was advised to also file a report with the Gardaí just for my own personal records going forward. After I make my Garda Report there isn't much else I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

well done Killarney, lets hope you get some joy out of this

Seve OB wrote: »
    well done Killarney, lets hope you get some joy out of this
    Fingers Crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

No unfortunately not much else you can do bar chalk it up to life experience. It's not nice and I hope she has no luck for the money at all.

• Advertisement

Did you make the enquiry about the one she has for sale that states pick up only....bit odd she has that if she's a scammer. You name and address is just sitting there for you to take her up on the offer.

Did you make the enquiry about the one she has for sale that states pick up only....bit odd she has that if she's a scammer. You name and address is just sitting there for you to take her up on the offer.

I feel like her location being set to Waterville is deliberate. It's quite a remote area and I would be led to believe that the seller is expecting people to ask them if they could post it. Could be wrong, but as both listings are well below market value, I would suspect that they aren't actually in the hands of the seller.

Cex are giving less, think it's 530ish for an X, looking 900 though.
    I'd chance my arm and arrange to drive to her house not knowing it's you if she's blocked contact, don't go on your own and pop into the nearest
    Garda station who knows they might wait outside the gate.
    If her other iPhone is genuine and checks out buy it and flip it on adverts cover the cost of getting there. There's your silver lining.

Cex are giving less, think it's 530ish for an X, looking 900 though.
    I'd chance my arm and arrange to drive to her house not knowing it's you if she's blocked contact, don't go on your own and pop into the nearest
    Garda station who knows they might wait outside the gate.
    If her other iPhone is genuine and checks out buy it and flip it on adverts cover the cost of getting there. There's your silver lining.

Apologies if I wasn't clear in my previous posts. I don't believe that the seller even lives in the address that was given. It's a holiday village, and a false mobile phone number was also provided so I suspect a total fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

moving this to a more relevant forum - at least it'll provide guidance for anyone who comes after :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

I felt bad for her, as she seemed foreign

Why are we so weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Hi there, before you all year strips off me, hear me out. I paid someone 600 euro for an iPhone X off of donedeal. The person looked legitimate as they had two other ads posted and were based in Kerry with good photos of the products. etc

From the scant detail given I have viewed this persons 2 adverts.

"I have no idea how I have been talked into a new iPhone XS but I have!" caught my attention.

Just to confirm it is fraud and indeed a scam, this is the advert the photos and even the text was originally lifted from (a genuine ebayer in Australia and their photos and advert).

You have this persons real name ? Did the bank confirm it matched the account name ?

And by the way. - Donedeal advice

Despite the terrible advice given earlier in this thread, the Gardai do pursue these matters. This person probably has a history of this. I see they are email verified (PM me it)

STB. wrote: »
    From the scant detail given I have viewed this persons 2 adverts.

"I have no idea how I have been talked into a new iPhone XS but I have!" caught my attention.

Just to confirm it is fraud and indeed a scam, this is the advert the photos and even the text was originally lifted from (a genuine ebayer in Australia and their photos and advert).

You have this persons real name ? Did the bank confirm it matched the account name ?

And by the way. - Donedeal advice

Despite the terrible advice given earlier in this thread, the Gardai do pursue these matters. This person probably has a history of this. I see they are email verified (PM me it)
    Wow. Incredible investigitave work there, honestly. I didn't expect someone to go to all this trouble. That's pissed me off so much, and killed all hope for me seeing this phone. However, at least now I have more proof to show the Gardaí. I highly doubt I have the customer's real name under the circumstances of everything else being fake, and anybody can verify an email on donedeal. The bank were only informed today and said they'd investigate, by I highly doubt that I'll see any of that information. GDPR and that. Massive credit is headed your direction either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Well I didn't google it using tineye. I just googled the text of the advert. It was just too specific. Thanks for the tip though Omega.

@ The OP. Lots of money gets mis-directed on a daily basis between bank accounts. The account name must match the account number, or the banks are not doing their job as a security check. Hence my question asking did the account name and number match.

- If it did then the police will obtain the information under a fraud investigation (its important to point out to the guards that the adverts are still "live").

- If it didn't then the bank have made a terrible mistake lodging the money.

How did you communicate ? Email or a message system ? Print out whichever it is as it is a request to obtain money under false pretence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

STB. wrote: »
    Well I didn't google it using tineye. I just googled the text of the advert. It was just too specific. Thanks for the tip though Omega.

@ The OP. Lots of money gets mis-directed on a daily basis between bank accounts. The account name must match the account number, or the banks are not doing their job as a security check. Hence my question asking did the account name and number match.

- If it did then the police will obtain the information under a fraud investigation (its important to point out to the guards that the adverts are still "live").

- If it didn't then the bank have made a terrible mistake lodging the money.

How did you communicate ? Email or a message system ? Print out whichever it is as it is a request to obtain money under false pretence.

No bank is going to check every payment matches name and account number......volume of transactions are too high and too many variables in the information sent, can be spelling mistakes etc. Only obligations the bank has is to record source of funds, report suspicious money laundering ....and ensure the payment is properly authorised from the account its coming from.

Advertisement