Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult co worker

Options
  • 05-02-2019 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any advice for this type of situation.

Myself and a colleague are developers working on a subsection of a larger project. We worked great together. We had great positivity and energy.

Then he got pulled off onto another project. A new guy was moved on. He's the exact opposite. Everything that has been done so far is sh1t. It's all negativity. He doesn't take ownership and somehow it's always me who seems to take on the role of getting his work over the line! Just today I was trying to help get something finished for him, completely stressed, and he's just laughing about the situation. I've noticed the team lead just directs everything through me, further absolving him off accountability

We're really busy and I'm already stressed. His attitude is wearing me down. Not sure how to handle it. Do I talk to him? Our team lead? His line manager? Or do I say nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Of course you say something.

If your line managers cannot see what is happening, how do you expect them to act? If others in the team can see this, your manager should be able to see this also.

I manage teams across 5 countries and I know every individuals performance on those teams, even remotely.

If someone has an issue with someone else, you are damned sure I want to know about it. Morale amongst all my team is paramount to me.

If someone is under performing and causing the rest of the team to be stressed I want to know. Even if that person is a line manager. Negativity causes projects to be ruined, causes staff to leave.

No manager worth his salt, wants this to happen. If this person is not qualified or experienced in his work, that reflects on the team as a whole. You are supposed to be aided by this person not hindered. Laughing at the whole situation sounds like someone who frankly doesn't care, in those circumstances, I personally would speak directly to them. Find out both sides of the issue (yours and his) and assess the work loads and also work patterns/productivity and act accordingly.

Covering for someone else, is not in YOUR best interests of the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

elvis83 wrote: »
    I've noticed the team lead just directs everything through me, further absolving him off accountability
    Perhaps ask the team lead to delegate some stuff to the other guy, and if possible, when the other guy asks you for assistance CC the team lead in any response?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would talk to the team leader, basically saying what you said above.

The thing which will bother the team leader the most is how it is affecting you, and wearing you down. She probably knows you are the most important person on the team, so she won't want you leaving.

But she sounds like a **** team leader, so be prepared for an ineffective response.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Thanks everyone. I spoke to the team lead today and she had suspected this was happening. So she's asked me to just document specifics and she'll take it from there. I feel a hell of alot better this evening. Even just knowing it isn't just in my head.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Thanks everyone. I spoke to the team lead today and she had suspected this was happening. So she's asked me to just document specifics and she'll take it from there. I feel a hell of alot better this evening. Even just knowing it isn't just in my head.

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement