Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apex Legends

Options

Comments

Icaras wrote: »
    I hated it too, seems to be set up for snipers but I changed my style and started using the G7 a lot (especially with double tap) and loving it. I think the big problem is certain gun combos just don't work on this map - I used to love the R99 and wingman combo but its pointless now in the new map.

Also having two maps splits the player base - I cant see them ever doing this.
    Wingman is a sniper pistol, wouldn't be my first choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Wingman is a sniper pistol, wouldn't be my first choice though.

Not really any good unless you have a purple extended mag imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Has anyone else found this game becoming baffling hard, did they change matchmaking or something? I'm usually OK at the game, or was, but now I can go 10+ games without a single kill, being melted by people with wingmans from miles away, people landing triple take headshots from a mile away, people shredding purple armour and health in one r99 clip constantly without missing a shot, etc.

I've started going off it, used to love it but I've never faced crazy adversity like this before, it's like playing with insanely high ranked players who all have dead-aim. It feels like I'm playing people miles above my ranking constantly.

I know I'm not going mad because Winter Express mode plays 'normally', feels like I'm playing with my own skill level and have the usual mix of good and bad games, it's only normal mode I'm getting destroyed instantly in every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I've been getting one shot killed with smgs..... Is there a bug??

Once I looked into it, they actually did introduce skill based matchmaking recently. I had a good season 2 with a decent k/d and lots of wins so obviously the game ranked me high enough.

Problem is I'm not that good really, more of a decent situational awareness person, so I was getting destroyed in gunfights by people who are mechanically much better than I am. Since my k/d has sunk down to about 1.0, I seem to be kinda stabilizing now and having better games.

Looking forward to this Grand Soiree event coming up - Gold Rush, Kings Canyon at Night, Armed and Dangerous, and a few others too. I played so much of The Winter Express mode, it was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Homelander wrote: »
    Once I looked into it, they actually did introduce skill based matchmaking recently. I had a good season 2 with a decent k/d and lots of wins so obviously the game ranked me high enough.

Problem is I'm not that good really, more of a decent situational awareness person, so I was getting destroyed in gunfights by people who are mechanically much better than I am. Since my k/d has sunk down to about 1.0, I seem to be kinda stabilizing now and having better games.

Looking forward to this Grand Soiree event coming up - Gold Rush, Kings Canyon at Night, Armed and Dangerous, and a few others too. I played so much of The Winter Express mode, it was amazing.

I've had a few decent games recently, getting at least one kill per match but my k/Dr is still below 1. Still I'm in the gold ranked league which in pretty happy with and so much better than I was when I started.

The Grand Soiree event looks like great fun although it is frustrating that you get specific challenges for the events and they don't count towards your overall season challenges.

New event has started, good god Gold Rush Duo's is the best game mode ever. Shame it's only today and tomorrow, would love to be able to play it for a few weeks.

I enjoyed Gold Rush Duos but Live Die Live seems to be suffering from the same problem I had with the Winter Express with people abandoning the game because they're too impatient to wait for the respawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Agreed gold rush mode is brilliant. Always be closing could be good. No idea about Dummies but the rest dont excite me too much. Live, die, live is fine - can get good when its a small circle with two or three teams left.

Not a big fan of Live, Die, Live. Played a few games but didn't really play out much different.

Is anyone else disapppointed with the move to SBMM in public matches? It probably happened a good while ago but I didn't play much S3 until recently what with life committments. I hate now that every game is putting you up against people the exact same skill level, prefer the old way of just throwing people together.

Used to have a fine blend of matches, amazing games, good games, OK games, bad games, utterly terrible games. It was all part of the magic, you just never knew who you'd go up against.

Now that it's SBMM that just doesn't happen much anymore, I just consistently play average at best, and rarely get more than a kill or two per match (if even) and never get close to the sort of damage numbers I used to. It's kinda putting me off the game and I'm not playing as much, because it's just not as much fun for me.

Think it's way better when the player base was a random mix of all skill types rather than everyone being the same skill-based level. Yeah, you get ****ed up plenty by people way better than you, but you also can shine every now and again when you dominate in turn.

• Advertisement

Not a big fan of Live, Die, Live. Played a few games but didn't really play out much different.

Is anyone else disapppointed with the move to SBMM in public matches? It probably happened a good while ago but I didn't play much S3 until recently what with life committments. I hate now that every game is putting you up against people the exact same skill level, prefer the old way of just throwing people together.

Used to have a fine blend of matches, amazing games, good games, OK games, bad games, utterly terrible games. It was all part of the magic, you just never knew who you'd go up against.

Now that it's SBMM that just doesn't happen much anymore, I just consistently play average at best, and rarely get more than a kill or two per match (if even) and never get close to the sort of damage numbers I used to. It's kinda putting me off the game and I'm not playing as much, because it's just not as much fun for me.

Think it's way better when the player base was a random mix of all skill types rather than everyone being the same skill-based level. Yeah, you get ****ed up plenty by people way better than you, but you also can shine every now and again when you dominate in turn.
    I mostly play ranked, but I think SBMM improves the game for the majority of players. I'm average at best and for most of my games I'm just cannon fodder, an NPC in real life :-)

I think the majority of people complaining would be higher skilled players who rely on being matched with the likes of myself in order to get their 10 kills per game. Pit them against similar skilled players and the game gets much harder and in their mind not as much fun.

Third person was good to look at, I prefer third person games, especially when you can see your characters skins, but the pinging and aiming was a bit ****. Also moments when if you went to close to a building the camera would take you inside the building while you were outside.

I don't expect to get 10 kills per game, but just a good mix of players that are way better, better, the same, slight worse, worse. So that way you get a good mix of results.

I can see why SBMM benefits those that are weak at the game, but otherwise not really for the average player.

As it is, I'm starting to go off the game. Last 10 games: 0 kill, 0 kill, 0 kill, 1 kill, 0 kill, 0 kill, 0 kill, 0 kill, 0 kill, 0 kill. It's just not fun at all. I've no idea how it's even using SBMM because I'm getting riddled within seconds of encountering any other enemy squad, headshotted with wingman, sniped from a mile away with crazy accuracy, and so on. All things I've not got a hope of doing.

I know it is SBMM because when I play ranked in silver I can easily get kills in every game and tons of damage (don't play it much though, just a handful of games so far, started off in bronze which was ridiculously easy, so obviously I get the logic of SBMM for people of that skill level)

I obviously don't speak for the masses but I have 3 friends that have all stopped playing the last while because they find it not fun anymore. I'm slow to give it up as I've put so much time into it and it was a great game but the fun is not there anymore for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

To be honest it just sounds like you've not adapted your play style to going against more competent players. I don't play much Apex any more but I've not noticed much difference since SBMM has come in here. A few wins here and there, a lot of mid tables, a few utter disasters that made me flash back to Skull Town drops.

The problem for me is the mechanical gap. I'm getting destroyed in every engagement.

It's like the game calculated the sbmm based on my s2 and hasn't changed it. I'm now almost below 1 k/d from 1.8 and the game hasn't gotten even a fraction easier, still getting wrecked every game.

Meanwhile in ranked I'm currently in gold with a k/d of 3, still climbing easily and average damage is 1k per game.

So I do blame the sbmm, I'll be able to naturally stabilize in ranked eventually, but regular public mode is completely broken for me right now, can't play it without getting massacred every single game by players light years ahead of me.

The difference is you dont have the "noobs" to pick off. Game is harder because you're being paired with similarly skilled players, but they are not necessarily similarly skilled because the stats are skewed. If you think about it, some people are good at seeking out lower skilled players and good at avoid high skilled players. So you end up with stats that make you look good but really you're game style is all about picking out weak players. Take them out of the equation and now you're faced with the challenge of having to engage with similarly skilled players. You've gotta get good at fighting proper and not just taking the easy pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

That's the longest #GitGud I've seen in a long while. ;)

And that's fine but my big issue is that despite getting wrecked constantly, the level of opposition hasn't adjusted at all.

My k/d has gone from almost 2 to 1 in about four weeks and the quality of opponents hasn't changed at all, still getting trashed every game.

Meanwhile I'm only in gold right now in ranked but I still find it easy to get kills and high damage.

So my natural skill level there will probably end up as plat, that's fine, I'm an average player. It'll stabilize to a point where you'll start losing as much as winning and that's fine. Ideal even. Despite what some people think I'm not looking for cannon fodder, just people who are actually the same natural skill level as me.

It's the public matches I don't get. The people I'm matched with are so far above me it's not even funny....or fun. It's like the game isn't adjusting sbmm, just decided based on my s2 results and left it at that for the whole of S3?

I don't think it's a case of just "get good". We all have natural skill ceilings. I'm not getting out played in a tactical sense, I'm just getting constantly destroyed by mechanically superior players in engagements in public despite my mediocre current stats.

This doesn't happen me in other sbmm games, like COD or overwatch....it's just Apex since s3 started.

And that's fine but my big issue is that despite getting wrecked constantly, the level of opposition hasn't adjusted at all.

My k/d has gone from almost 2 to 1 in about four weeks and the quality of opponents hasn't changed at all, still getting trashed every game.

Meanwhile I'm only in gold right now in ranked but I still find it easy to get kills and high damage.

So my natural skill level there will probably end up as plat, that's fine, I'm an average player. It'll stabilize to a point where you'll start losing as much as winning and that's fine. Ideal even. Despite what some people think I'm not looking for cannon fodder, just people who are actually the same natural skill level as me.

It's the public matches I don't get. The people I'm matched with are so far above me it's not even funny....or fun. It's like the game isn't adjusting sbmm, just decided based on my s2 results and left it at that for the whole of S3?

I don't think it's a case of just "get good". We all have natural skill ceilings. I'm not getting out played in a tactical sense, I'm just getting constantly destroyed by mechanically superior players in engagements in public despite my mediocre current stats.

This doesn't happen me in other sbmm games, like COD or overwatch....it's just Apex since s3 started.

Would you not just stick to ranked then? I only play ranked now and the events. There's too many messers in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think people really over estimate the importance of mechanical play, game smarts are so much more important.

The run of games/kills you posted there was shocking, maybe its all in your head now :pac:

Also are you playing solo? The longer a game like this is out the fewer solo players you'll see playing, and being in a pre-made squad is a big advantage

• Advertisement

Sounds like battle royale is not your thing. Other games when you die you get right back into the game. You have an opportunity to balance out your kill ratio. There is no sitting out watching others play, waiting for a respawn (which rarely comes unless you're playing with friends) or having to go back to the lobby to get back into a game.

It does seem my only option is to just play ranked as that seems to be working fine and gradually allowing you to find a natural skill ceiling. Still playing well in Gold so I'd say I'm a natural Platinum.

Public for me isn't working for me like that it's just a non stop wreck fest. I don't know why or how but it's broken for me. The run of games I posted is completely normal for me the last month yet the quality of opponents isn't degrading at all despite that. It's like constantly playing players way above your level. Sbmm should mean broadly consistent experience, a mix of good and bad games....not getting destroyed every game.

My best friend doesn't play anymore because anytime we play together the last month or two, same thing happens over and over, he just got fed up and stopped.

It's not that Battle Royale isn't for me. I've got about 4,000 kills in the game, I didn't just start playing.

I have a second account with .8 kd that friends use, and I've no problem playing normally on that one, but my main is 1 and I'm getting utterly demolished every game.

Haven't gone back to public matches since but still playing a bit of ranked and already in Gold II (started a few days ago in Bronze IV), so should make Platinum soon enough, definitely know I won't get into Diamond though.

Current player base breakdown is this, so I'll be happy with Platinum. That's the same level I play in Overwatch and the skill level/game sense feels similar, and my Apex stats are similar k/d to COD as well, so it's sort of my own natural skill ceiling.

5.1 percent - Bronze
    40 percent - Silver
    35.7 percent - Gold
    16.8 percent - Platinum
    2.1 percent - Diamond
    0.2 percent - Apex Predator

Still maintaining a k/d of 1.8 and 660 avg dmg per game since hitting gold II and getting a good healthy mix of great/good/ok/bad/bum games which I enjoy, all part of the game. I am playing solo and it's been fine so far, obviously a squad's better but it's fine so far.

So much better than the ****fest that was public matchmaking for me. Still no idea why it's so outrageously difficult since the end of S2, it only started happening then. I was on the verge of quitting until I started playing ranked a few days ago. I wasn't exaggerating before, public was like 1 or 2 kills per 20 games, extremely low damage, getting destroyed by aim gods.

Will probably just stick with ranked from now on until next season and see if something changes with whatever SBBM has determined for me in public.

Now making my way through Platinum though it's a tougher slog. Playing solo can be challenging, I don't mind my team being bested in a gunfight but it's the illogical stuff like people charging headfirst into enemy squads on their own that's incredibly frustrating.

Jumped on last night to give the update a try. I have to say I'm enjoying the new character Revenant. He's nothing OP or anything I just find his edgelord voice lines amusing. Sniper rifles being a class of their own seems a sensible change, and I like the new rifle a lot. Probably won't bother with the battle pass this season. New skins are pretty spread out, but that Caustic "ride the gas trap" dropping emote could make me change my mind...

fixXxer wrote: »
    Jumped on last night to give the update a try. I have to say I'm enjoying the new character Revenant. He's nothing OP or anything I just find his edgelord voice lines amusing. Sniper rifles being a class of their own seems a sensible change, and I like the new rifle a lot. Probably won't bother with the battle pass this season. New skins are pretty spread out, but that Caustic "ride the gas trap" dropping emote could make me change my mind...

I enjoyed the changes to the map as well. The sniper thing is confusing because as fast as I can tell, you can still get the snipers in their original format, definitely had a charge rifle that used energy ammo. Also G7 no longer being a sniper is, haven't checked to see what is categorised as now.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I enjoyed the changes to the map as well. The sniper thing is confusing because as fast as I can tell, you can still get the snipers in their original format, definitely had a charge rifle that used energy ammo. Also G7 no longer being a sniper is, haven't checked to see what is categorised as now.

Might be a glitch as it was definitely a sniper rifle in my games. The lava ridge down the middle of the city surprised me. I fell in and instead of dying, my jump jets kicked in and I floated to safety.

G7 Scout is an AR now I believe.

Surprise Valentines event is live. Duos are now an option and double XP during the event. Managed to get a win during a five squad cluster **** at the end. Pleasing times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

fixXxer wrote: »

Revenant is very entertaining, he makes Caustic seem like a boy scout in comparison.
    Am I the only skinflint who just saves up all the coins to recycle for the next battle pass?

• Advertisement

Revenant is very entertaining, he makes Caustic seem like a boy scout in comparison.
    Am I the only skinflint who just saves up all the coins to recycle for the next battle pass?

"Lava over there. Go swim in it."

:D

Advertisement