Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping same repayments after lump sum on fixed term mortgage

Options
  • 05-02-2019 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I paid off a lump sum on my fixed term mortgage. I opted to keep the same monthly repayment amount. I received a letter indicating that my monthly repayments were proportionately reduced, with the blurb about penalties for overpayment.

My understanding of this is that I will be liable to be penalised every month I continue the original payments. Can you confirm this? Can you also confirm that there is no option to reduce term instead of repayment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi blergh

Thanks for getting in touch with us this morning.

Our advice would be to contact the Mortgage Overpayments Team directly and they can check the details of the letter you received and explain how the overpayment will work in your case on your mortgage. The Team will be happy to take your call on 1890 818 522 and clarify and assist with all your questions.

Many thanks
    Alison

Advertisement