Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor - No HDMI Signal

Options
  • 05-02-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I have my laptop connected to 1 monitor via HDMI

Yesterday it worked fine all day ( and many days before this )

Today I get a HDMI no Signal message on the monitor.

I checked the monitor with an Android box and it works. I even swapped out some HDMI leads just in case.. but not the issue.

My computer was in the one place.. I didnt move it over night so not sure why it stopped working.

I've tried rebooting the laptop / monitor

I've gone into display settings to see if it weas listed but not active.. but not the case.

I've no idea what could have changed over night.

Any suggestions on how to get it working ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

How do I check if the HDMI port on my laptop is working/broken ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shutdown the laptop completely and bring it back up again. I've had issues in the past where hardware in a laptop would randomly stop working and even a reboot wouldn't bring it back. Had to be a complete power down.

If that doesn't solve it, try upgrading the device drivers for the video chipset.

seamus wrote: »
    Shutdown the laptop completely and bring it back up again. I've had issues in the past where hardware in a laptop would randomly stop working and even a reboot wouldn't bring it back. Had to be a complete power down.

If that doesn't solve it, try upgrading the device drivers for the video chipset.

Shut down about 4 or 5 times.

Why was it working yesterday and not today ? I don't think drivers is the issue.

This is a new laptopish laptop Lenovo Thinkpad - Core i5 16gig ram
    Montior is Asus - and was working

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

Was there a windows update on the laptop, it could have effected the output settings? I'd check those anyway.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Was there a windows update on the laptop, it could have effected the output settings? I'd check those anyway.

How ?

• Advertisement

while i don't think this is the problem I went here https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/VS248HR/HelpDesk_Download/

and downloaded there latest drivers from 2016.

is this what you meant by updating the drivers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

NeVeR wrote: »
    Why was it working yesterday and not today ? I don't think drivers is the issue.
    No, it probably isn't. But often simply the act of unloading and reloading the drivers can kick things into action.

The issue won't be fixed long-term, but at least you'll know there's nothing physically wrong with the HDMI port.

If there are no newer drivers, then uninstall the device device manager and then get Windows to reinstall it.

This is a company laptop .. don't want to mess around with it too much . ( and our IT guy is out until end of the month )

I'm just working at home this week.

Can HDMI ports be turned off ? --- maybe this is the case ?

Advertisement