Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear end at 5km/h , 40k Euro claim+counting

Options
  • 05-02-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

2 years Ago I rear ended someone at 5km/h, 3 people in their car , it was my fault end of story, it was the softest bump you will ever feel.

Case is ongoing so far 40k have been claimed by 1 of the passengers for personal injury, 2 more are still waiting claims , could be another 50k at least.

i have 3years NCB currently at 800euro premium, should I expect my insurance to go up by 5000euro premium?

Are there ways I can counter these people making claims? it wasnt that bad, their bumper didnt even dent in. Axa is handling everything and did not even talk to me for full details of the accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

milkyfish wrote: »
    2 years Ago I rear ended someone at 5km/h, 3 people in their car , it was my fault end of story, it was the softest bump you will ever feel.

Case is ongoing so far 40k have been claimed by 1 of the passengers for personal injury, 2 more are still waiting claims , could be another 50k at least.

i have 3years NCB currently at 800euro premium, should I expect my insurance to go up by 5000euro premium?

Are there ways I can counter these people making claims? it wasnt that bad, their bumper didnt even dent in. Axa is handling everything and did not even talk to me for full details of the accident.

Don't worry about it, this is exactly why you have insurance. Leave them to it and forget about it. Your premium will go up but highly unlikely to be a crazy price.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Exact same thing happened to me. 3 people in the car and all three claimed damages of 25k each. I freaked out at the time but there is nothing you can do. The good thing is that the length of time it takes to process works in your favour.

Your no claims ended and begins again on the day of the accident. That means you already have 2 years no claims built up. My case took over 4 years so by the time the claim was processed, I had almost 5 years no claims built up.

The only downside is that it is almost impossible to change insurer while you have an open claim so you're stuck with AXA until it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 milkyfish

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Exact same thing happened to me. 3 people in the car and all three claimed damages of 25k each. I freaked out at the time but there is nothing you can do. The good thing is that the length of time it takes to process works in your favour.

Your no claims ended and begins again on the day of the accident. That means you already have 2 years no claims built up. My case took over 4 years so by the time the claim was processed, I had almost 5 years no claims built up.

The only downside is that it is almost impossible to change insurer while you have an open claim so you're stuck with AXA until it's done.

thanks for the reply, im still freaking out and a bit relieved

did your premium increase drastically during the open case?

were you able to move or find cheaper insurance when your case closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

To be fair, mine was slightly different because I changed insurance companies after the accident (before I got the solicitors letters) so my old insurance company dealt with the crash.

On my newer (and current) insurance it went up marginally here and there but nothing major. Which makes me think that they never accounted for the accident.

Have you renewed since your accident?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

My wife was at fault in a relatively minor bump almost exactly three years ago. The other party put in a claim for injuries afterwards, which we consider at least slightly spurious, since she said at the scene that she was fine and then said the same in a follow-up phone call about a week later.

The case is still open. My wife’s insurance (with the same company) has been up for renewal three times since then – September ’16, September ‘ 17 and September ’18. On the first two renewals, the price stayed roughly the same, and the last time, it even came down by about 10%.

Obviously every case is different but this might at least give you some hope that there’s no need to worry too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 milkyfish

milkyfish wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, im still freaking out and a bit relieved

did your premium increase drastically during the open case?

were you able to move or find cheaper insurance when your case closed?
    To be fair, mine was slightly different because I changed insurance companies after the accident (before I got the solicitors letters) so my old insurance company dealt with the crash.

On my newer (and current) insurance it went up marginally here and there but nothing major. Which makes me think that they never accounted for the accident.

Have you renewed since your accident?

My renewal is next month, and 4years NCB in total since the accident happened, just waiting for that renewal quote letter.
    Duffryman wrote: »
    My wife was at fault in a relatively minor bump almost exactly three years ago. The other party put in a claim for injuries afterwards, which we consider at least slightly spurious, since she said at the scene that she was fine and then said the same in a follow-up phone call about a week later.

The case is still open. My wife’s insurance (with the same company) has been up for renewal three times since then – September ’16, September ‘ 17 and September ’18. On the first two renewals, the price stayed roughly the same, and the last time, it even came down by about 10%.

Obviously every case is different but this might at least give you some hope that there’s no need to worry too much.

thanks for the hopes up.

Advertisement