Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Request

Options
  • 05-02-2019 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I asked for Holiday from year 2018 - started work January 2018, didn't take any holiday that year, is it health and safety issue already? He ask me to write official request for holidays, and pointing out my poor performance as indicative for not giving me holidays...If I don't get those days - would I at least get the money for those days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Holidays are a legal right and your employer can't withhold them from you for performance issues. In fact, he should have made you take your holidays last year as it's illegal to work more than a certain amount of hours/days without rest periods.

Sort this out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Get a new job. You're working for cowboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

mischascha wrote: »
    what about if i leave, as there's is cash money, that i place in a room, and the company is closed by that time, and once i forgot to do it and before bringing it next day(well it was the same day as i worked after midnight) i got text that if i hold the money at home over night i will be fired without notice, but my point is there's is absolutely nobody to sign that they receive the money im bringing, and if everything is right amount, so I feel like im totally depended on their whim not to f..k me, putting my full trust in their honesty. Their arrogance and constant ridiculing my position as 'only the driver' is also nerve wrenching.

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/unemployment-rate

Get a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Get a new job. Sounds like a bad boss/company to be working for.
    As for the holding of cash, they should have arrangements to facilitate the transfer of money if you are expected to collect it and return it to the place of work no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mischascha

Im sorting it by searching and asking questions of the procedures, they are ignorant and behaving like its a big favor of rewording me if they give me hollies, Ok and don't give me advice for getting new job please!!!(im constantly doing it for over year now)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

mischascha wrote: »
    Im sorting it by searching and asking questions of the procedures, they are ignorant and behaving like its a big favor of rewording me if they give me hollies

Somethings cannot be fixed. Such as the attitude of not letting someone take holidays for an entire year (if true).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

forget about the cash for now, that's a separate issue.

re holidays, you are entitled to 4 weeks per year if you are a full time employee and if you have worked for 8 months, you are entitled to at least 2 full weeks off together. It is up to the employer as to when they allow you to take those holidays, however they must be considerate to your personal circumstances and needs.

it is illegal for the employer to pay you in lieu of you not being allowed to take statutory holiday leave, unless you are leaving employment.

you may carry over holiday entitlement, however it is best practice to take them within the relevant year.

I think it is a rule of thumb more than and actual law but you have 6 months after the year end to take your holidays. Unless you have been certified ill, then it can be stretched to 15 months after the year end. after those dates you will loose your holiday entitlement.

you must get them though, the employer cannot use a reason of poor performance to not allow you take your leave.

it is important to note that the employers annual leave year might not necessarily be a calendar year from January to December.

Ask them again nicely, tell them it is your legal right and if they still refuse, let them know that you will be making contact with the WRC... and actually do it, you will win a case, no doubt about it.

Advertisement