Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Whiskey you can't buy in the US.

• 05-02-2019 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone can advise.

I work for a multinational. Head office is outside San Francisco. Every year I travel over there once or twice and people in my team there head over. Over the last couple of years we've developed a tradition. When I head over I bring two bottles of Whiskey with me. One for a coworker and one for the office whiskey bar. (they have a desk at the back of the office stacked with whiskey that people bring over and once a month they have a "thirsty Thursday" when they stay back an hour after work and have a few drinks).

There have been so many times I've headed over and brought a bottle I bought here and I see it in a supermarket there.

So I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest an Irish whiskey that isn't exported to or on sale in the US. I realise that everything is available online now so websites don't count.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Budget? Things like Green Spot Lustau and similar won't be in US supermarkets but aren't the cheapest

Lidl own brand won't be over there at all, should you end up really stuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We generally don't go over 60 - 70 euro. And that's normally in duty free. And it doesn't have to go that high. It's perfectly possible to get a nice interesting whiskey for less. For one of them, because it's shared with an office it doesn't have to be something to everyone's taste. It's just something to add more variety to the collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Redbreast Lustau before anyone corrects me!

Greenspot is chateau leoville Barton or something. Both may be in budget in duty free and definitely not supermarket products.

Think I'll be grabbing a bottle of that :D

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

greenspot chateau montelena probably a nice shout. Not sold there (to my knowledge) and aged in Napa Valley casks.

Lovely whiskey to boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

dingle whiskey?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If exclusivity is what you're after there's normally a few "airport exclusives" in Dublin Airport.

There's only 240 bottles of this one out so there's no way it's sitting in a supermarket over there. Would probably tickle the fancy of craft beer heads in the office too. https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/irish-whiskey-home-page/Irishman-Single-Malt-Coffee-Stout-Finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you head to the Jameson or Teelings Distilleries, they may have “distillery only” blends.

dudara wrote: »
    If you head to the Jameson or Teelings Distilleries, they may have “distillery only” blends.

I actually work literally across the road to jamesons. So everyone in the US that works for the company has some distillery exclusive. They just pop in on their lunch break when they're over here. :)

I bought the greenspot and I bought a bottle of Nikka from the barrel. One of the lads in california has been searching for the Nikka for ages and specifically asked for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement