Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to buy in Dublin that will hold/grow in value over 5/10+ years.

Options
  • 05-02-2019 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I wanted to start this thread around areas that may see housing appreciation over the next few years.

For example, Ringsend area now has increased in value due to growth of tech companies and proximity to town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Drimnagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

On the Dart or Luas lines (particularly the Green)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The area from Finglas to Artane including Santry Whitehall and Beaumont. The reason great public transports and schools look at the Irish times feeder schools. It is one of the only inner Dublin suburbs where you can still get large traditional houses with large gardens at a 'reasonable price' Its next to the very wealthy suburbs of Glasnevin, Drumcondra, and Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Stoneybatter will continue to appreciate I think.

It will always be close to town, and with the addition of DIT Grangegorman campus (a wonderful resource for the neighbourhood as well as for students - lovely, open, safe green space with a playground and suitable for jogging, dog walking etc) as well as the green line luas in walkable distance, I'd say prices will only go up.

Add in great pubs, cafes, takeaways, restaurants, regular bus service to UCD and outer suburbs with amenities such as Blanchardstown shopping centre, proximity to Phoenix Park - you have yourself a pretty smashing area, a far cry from where it was 15 or even 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Eastwall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Your question can only be on relative value.

If the market goes up, all areas go up.

If the market goes down, all areas go down.

To answer your question - look at big infrastructure project coming down the tracks, especially metro north. Find somewhere near the stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Location depends hugely on how much you are willing to spend.

You could buy in Ballsbridge and its ultimately going to increase in value for example, but you might need €1.5M initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ballybough is probably the next place to get hit with the auld gentrification stick, purely because there's nowhere else left near the city centre really. But you'd need a crystal ball to know when, or what impact it'll have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Portmarnock and Harmonstown.

It depends on what would add value, as accesses to decent size houses with large gardens near good public transport and good schools in suburbs near the city become scarce because of population increases then that sort of property will go up in value.

Good schools, good public transport, and large houses never go out of fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Drimnagh.

I can't wait to get out of Drimnagh. It's full of drugs and I mean FULL !! I'm surprised there's any room in the houses around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Your question can only be on relative value.

If the market goes up, all areas go up.

If the market goes down, all areas go down.

To answer your question - look at big infrastructure project coming down the tracks, especially metro north. Find somewhere near the stops.

Ya mean metrolink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd actually say some of the currently decrepit areas between Stoneybatter and Capel Street, including any developments or refurbishment on the quays could potentially improve a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'd actually say some of the currently decrepit areas between Stoneybatter and Capel Street, including any developments or refurbishment on the quays could potentially improve a lot.

There's very little housing in those areas, except for some of the 90s Zoe etc blocks that DCC officials were spitballing the idea of considering unfit for full-time accomodation yesterday!

If someone wants to risk on Metro and redevelopment, Ballymun near the old SC/health centre/Garda site will see a metro stop and huge redevelopment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

There's a lot of space for development though!
    Any idea what's happening with the derelict buildings around the top of Smithfield / North King St?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Swords with the Metro North and its proximity to Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

PCros wrote: »
    Swords with the Metro North and its proximity to Dublin Airport.

Do people buy houses near airports intentionally? I'd always try to avoid living near one.

Fwiw I'd be going towards D8, near Guinness. They're planning on redeveloping the area themselves so I'd try to get in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Do people buy houses near airports intentionally? I'd always try to avoid living near one.

If you are referring to noise its not really an issue, possibly more so for areas like St. Margaret's and Portmarnock due to the flight paths.

Main attraction would be the amount of employment Dublin Airport brings.

Fwiw I'd be going towards D8, near Guinness. They're planning on redeveloping the area themselves so I'd try to get in first.

Not a bad call, based on the recent yoga/cafe place opened up there near James', seems like the area is well on its way to gentrification.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any thoughts on Eastwall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Goose76 wrote: »
    Not a bad call, based on the recent yoga/cafe place opened up there near James', seems like the area is well on its way to gentrification.:D

Rialto is on the way up too. Fancy bakery there. It's really nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

I am always shocked at the underused potential of the northside - both inner city and suburbs. I know the inner city has its problems, but if you actually take a step back and look at the buildings around mountjoy square/dorset street etc they are on par with those on lesson/baggot street etc. Also in some of the suburbs like Whitehall/beaumont and even Drumcondra - how does an empty bingo hall still occupy the main focal point of Whitehall? Maybe this will change during the current "boom"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

beaz2018 wrote: »
    I am always shocked at the underused potential of the northside - both inner city and suburbs. I know the inner city has its problems, but if you actually take a step back and look at the buildings around mountjoy square/dorset street etc they are on par with those on lesson/baggot street etc. Also in some of the suburbs like Whitehall/beaumont and even Drumcondra - how does an empty bingo hall still occupy the main focal point of Whitehall? Maybe this will change during the current "boom"

If it was cleaned up, the older parts of the North inner city are nicer. But when people don't even feel safe on O'Connell st - Dublins main st, what hope has the rest of it got. Just need an absolute pile more gards & the Junkies to be sorted out - can't see that happening any time soon if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Never thought I'd see anything like this in Inchicore. In an industrial estate not far from the village, surprisingly good reviews too.

https://rascalsbrewing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

mariaalice wrote: »
    The area from Finglas to Artane including Santry Whitehall and Beaumont. The reason great public transports and schools look at the Irish times feeder schools. It is one of the only inner Dublin suburbs where you can still get large traditional houses with large gardens at a 'reasonable price' Its next to the very wealthy suburbs of Glasnevin, Drumcondra, and Clontarf.

Several of my family live in Beaumont, transport is awful

You can get the bus or the bus

It's about the most boring place in all of Dublin but so boring, it's very safe, horrible ugly village though, not even a village

Stoneybatter will continue to appreciate I think.

It will always be close to town, and with the addition of DIT Grangegorman campus (a wonderful resource for the neighbourhood as well as for students - lovely, open, safe green space with a playground and suitable for jogging, dog walking etc) as well as the green line luas in walkable distance, I'd say prices will only go up.

Add in great pubs, cafes, takeaways, restaurants, regular bus service to UCD and outer suburbs with amenities such as Blanchardstown shopping centre, proximity to Phoenix Park - you have yourself a pretty smashing area, a far cry from where it was 15 or even 10 years ago.

Stoneybatter is already very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Eastwall?

Rent and house prices are already decently high due to the location of East Point and the proximity to the IFSC.

There are also parts of East Wall also have insurance issues due to the number of times claims have been made due to the Tolka overflowing and impacting ouses.
    beaz2018 wrote: »

The bingo hall isn't empty, there is still bingo on most nights of the week!

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Stoneybatter is already very expensive

Precisely, which is why I said I thought it would continue to appreciate or at least hold in value.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Several of my family live in Beaumont, transport is awful

You can get the bus or the bus

Just because it does not have a Luas or Dart does not make it terrible. The 14 16 17A 77 and 104 bus routes.

• Advertisement

Precisely, which is why I said I thought it would continue to appreciate or at least hold in value.

You could say that about countless other locations, if the economy slows, all bets are off so its pointless speculating

I like stoneybatter a lot

Advertisement