Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to buy in Dublin that will hold/grow in value over 5/10+ years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

VW 1 wrote: »
    Rent and house prices are already decently high due to the location of East Point and the proximity to the IFSC.

There are also parts of East Wall also have insurance issues due to the number of times claims have been made due to the Tolka overflowing and impacting ouses.

Rent prices are fairly high in East Wall but I would suggest house prices are still undervalued. Lots of potential growth over the next 5 to 10 years with all the work going on in the surrounding Docklands area.

The Tolka flooded once in the last 40 years (early 90's) which effected a small few roads in East Wall. Substantial protective works were done since, so there is no threat of flooding in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

Darndale, I know you might think I'm joking but the prices can't really get any lower.
    e.g. €170k for a 3 bed house in a capital city. Drive 5 mins to Raheny and you'll pay 3 times that for similar property.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/darndale/237-buttercup-crescent-darndale-dublin-2028990/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Darndale, I know you might think I'm joking but the prices can't really get any lower.
    e.g. €160k for a 3 bed house in a capital city.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/darndale/66-buttercup-park-darndale-dublin-1957592/

It's 5 to 10 years, not fifty

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nobodysrobots

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    It's 5 to 10 years, not fifty

I edited my post with a better example as the €160k house requires renovation.

Also I don't know what you mean by "It's 5-10 years", that's exactly my point. I don't think a 3 bed house anywhere in Dublin will go below €170k over the next 5-10 years.

I know it's not a nice area to live in, plagued with antisocial behavior etc. But the thread is about identifying property in Dublin that will either hold or increase in value over 5-10 years. I think it's a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Kilbarrack as close to Foxfield and the DART as you can although the ship may of sailed as 3 bed terraces are now fetching in excess of 320K.

Stoneybatter and Rialto have peaked IMHO, Rialto has been hit hard with the gentrification stick and I personally think it will rebound somewhat.

Ballybough is a tough one - huge number of ingrained 'elements' but the location is sound.

• Advertisement

Goose76 wrote: »
    Not a bad call, based on the recent yoga/cafe place opened up there near James', seems like the area is well on its way to gentrification.:D

Note: Ambulances 24 hours a day and huge increase in traffic congestion if this new children’s hospital is completed, not to mention the upheaval during its construction .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Fairview.

I edited my post with a better example as the €160k house requires renovation.

Also I don't know what you mean by "It's 5-10 years", that's exactly my point. I don't think a 3 bed house anywhere in Dublin will go below €170k over the next 5-10 years.

I know it's not a nice area to live in, plagued with antisocial behavior etc. But the thread is about identifying property in Dublin that will either hold or increase in value over 5-10 years. I think it's a good example.

You would need signs of outsiders who work for a living moving in, darndale could get much worse

Inchicore is my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

What about Artane? While I don't think it's considered a "bad area", I heard that some people priced out of neighbouring areas like Clontarf are buying there recently. It's near enough to town too and well served by shops, services. Seems to be value to be had there although a lot of the properties I saw on Daft there are smallish/in need of work.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Just because it does not have a Luas or Dart does not make it terrible. The 14 16 17A 77 and 104 bus routes.

It means that transport links are of a single kind so with no choice, you have stress on single provider

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Ammonite wrote: »
    What about Artane? While I don't think it's considered a "bad area", I heard that some people priced out of neighbouring areas like Clontarf are buying there recently. It's near enough to town too and well served by shops, services. Seems to be value to be had there although a lot of the properties I saw on Daft there are smallish/in need of work.

Artane is a smashing area, but I’m not sure it fits the bill for this thread. House prices have rocketed over the last 5 years as a lot of Northsiders have copped its a prime location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Rent prices are fairly high in East Wall but I would suggest house prices are still undervalued. Lots of potential growth over the next 5 to 10 years with all the work going on in the surrounding Docklands area.

The Tolka flooded once in the last 40 years (early 90's) which effected a small few roads in East Wall. Substantial protective works were done since, so there is no threat of flooding in the area.

My family home has flooded four times in the last 15 years leading to massive issues regarding insurance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

North Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'd actually say some of the currently decrepit areas between Stoneybatter and Capel Street, including any developments or refurbishment on the quays could potentially improve a lot.

the north side can be surprisingly resistant when it wants to be, despite numerous tries with fancy coffee shops and redevelopment etc... areas around sean mcdermot street, mountjoy square etc... really havent increased in standing or monetary value.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'd actually say some of the currently decrepit areas between Stoneybatter and Capel Street, including any developments or refurbishment on the quays could potentially improve a lot.

Anyone know what will happen to the old Hickeys site on Parkgate Street? That could potentially be a new Grand Canal if done right.

e.g. €170k for a 3 bed house in a capital city. Drive 5 mins to Raheny and you'll pay 3 times that for similar property.
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/darndale/237-buttercup-crescent-darndale-dublin-2028990/

the problem is there were too many houses , 'bad' areas of social housing often improve rapidly when the kids grow up and go live in the new sh*thole with their kids, with an average age of >50 in 'locals' the safety increases a lot. The issue with darndale is a low uptake in people buying their council houses so theres a lot that are now properties becoming vacant as people die, and are being filled by people with young children again, it'll go calmer for a little while then kick back off when those kids reach their teenage years.

If you follow the population cycle of almost any bad area, it naturally gets better when theres almost nobody under 25 left.

maxsmum wrote: »
    Anyone know what will happen to the old Hickeys site on Parkgate Street? That could potentially be a new Grand Canal if done right.

Becoming an apartment development with retail at the bottom of it , all going to be held by an investment company and not sold to individual buyers, fancy coffee shops and a 'hip young vibe' coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

Ballsbridge and irishtown in a buy to let out situation. Facebook is going into that old aib on merrion road isnt it? 1000s of people to accomodate.

My family home has flooded four times in the last 15 years leading to massive issues regarding insurance.

What part of East Wall? It can't be related to the Tolka, as I said, it has not overflown since the early/mid 90's to my recollection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Ballinteer, Rathfarnam, Dundrum, Sandyford, are four areas that will hold there value Brexit is holding a big cloud over the country until they decide what they wont over there you can not judge values on houses in the next five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Whelo79 wrote: »
    What part of East Wall? It can't be related to the Tolka, as I said, it has not overflown since the early/mid 90's to my recollection.

Seaview avenue.

The last flooding around 5 years ago had an elderly neighbour out of her home for 4 months while the whole bottom of the house was gutted and redone. There has been work done since and no further flooding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Baldoyle. Depending on where you live, you are within 15 minutes of Clongriffin & Dart stations as well as 102, 32, 29A, 15 buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Anywhere along the LUAS lines I would say. Our public transport is absolute crap and the numbers relying on it keep growing, the M50 is close to gridlock, and any proposals to fix the system will be fought tooth and nail by NIMBYs. The Metro upgrade to the Green line will go ahead because it is a no-brainer, and it will be the only modern bit of commuting infrastructure in Dublin until well into the 2030s.

Seaview avenue.

The last flooding around 5 years ago had an elderly neighbour out of her home for 4 months while the whole bottom of the house was gutted and redone. There has been work done since and no further flooding.

Ah, they must be the houses at 'the bars' which are actually significantly lower than road level are they? It's crazy they were built that way. I don't think anywhere else in East Wall had suffered flooding other than that row of about 12 houses so I wouldn't class it as a locality issue if note! I hope the issue has been resolved for those few owners once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I think anywhere along the dart line, luas lines, or future light rail development has to be a good bet. Extra bonus points if also near the coast or wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The thing is anywhere that has any potential has probably been earmarked long ago, The time to buy in East wall long before the Aldi and Lidi went up. Rialto is well on the way to being gentrified so a bit late to be buying there, any were along the Luas green line is very expensive as is, I don't know the red line much past Rialto so maybe somewhere along the red line that has potential and hasn't been discovered by investors yet,a bit unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Its hard to say, but anywhere in Dublin in an Irish context is good. Swords with the metro link , around the airport the planned buildings etc would be a good bet. Dublin 15 has lots of room to expand and has lots of employment currently. The maternity hospital going to open on the current hospital site will provide more jobs no matter how the economy does...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Inchicore is my choice

Iirc the St. Pats stadium/shopping development got canned. It looked very ambitious so that was a shame. Has there been any further plans for what they're going to do with the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If it was cleaned up, the older parts of the North inner city are nicer. But when people don't even feel safe on O'Connell st - Dublins main st, what hope has the rest of it got. Just need an absolute pile more gards & the Junkies to be sorted out - can't see that happening any time soon if ever.
    Not enough. You'd need to clear out the social housing ghettos that surround the area too and none of our TD's or councillors have the guts to do it.

Advertisement