Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to buy in Dublin that will hold/grow in value over 5/10+ years.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'd actually say some of the currently decrepit areas between Stoneybatter and Capel Street, including any developments or refurbishment on the quays could potentially improve a lot.
    There's quite a lot of redevelopment happening or planned in that area already in fairness. There's a new block going in on the bottom of Smithfield Square and River House has been demolished to make way for a hotel. I think there's some stuff in the works around the fruit Market too but I don't recall the specifics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ballybough is a tough one - huge number of ingrained 'elements' but the location is sound.

My general rule for Dublin is avoid areas that start with Bally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Parnell Square, Mountjoy Square. Mostly apartments but the location is excellent, on or close to the green line Luas. As was pointed out previously, values have not increased as much as other areas. Physically, they are almost identical to Fitzwilliam and Merrion Square.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/duplexes-for-sale/dublin-1/21-14-granby-hall-granby-lane-parnell-square-dublin-1-dublin-1915281/

Parnell Square is earmarked for a cultural quarter renovation. Hopefully that will improve things. Like Ballybough, however, there are 'elements' in the surrounding council flats that make life difficult (which they'd be delighted to admit to no doubt, bless their god fearing tax paying hearts :pac:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Ballycullen? Some great value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

What are people's thoughts around Ballyfermot? Has bad enough rep but seeing some reasonable priced places around there, near enough to supposedly gentrified part of Dublin 8.

Close to Luas, close enough to cycle to town, close to Hueston and motorway.

I'm guessing there's a catch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

All areas rise and fall together. You will not get one area, which is a recession does not fall in value but all the areas around it do fall .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What are people's thoughts around Ballyfermot? Has bad enough rep but seeing some reasonable priced places around there, near enough to supposedly gentrified part of Dublin 8.
    Gentrification works well in working class communities, where people might not be rich but have jobs - their kids are encouraged to do well at school, rising tide etc.

Where it doesn't work is when you have a concentration of families who have never worked, never want to work, and their kids never want to work. They will make your life an absolute misery because they enjoy it. And that's the problem with parts of Ballyer, which spill over into the nicer parts of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Ballycullen? Some great value there.

Ballyroan is quite nice

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

machalla wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see anything like this in Inchicore. In an industrial estate not far from the village, surprisingly good reviews too.

https://rascalsbrewing.com/
    And there is the nice Italian restaurant that used to be owned by Mick Wallace!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'd go with Cabra (or 'Fabra'). On luas line, on train line, walkable/cyclable to city centre, close to Phoenix park, on the canal and near m50 and area is a lot more settled these days. Many of the corpo houses have long back gardens, i.e. ripe for extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Wesser wrote: »
    All areas rise and fall together. You will not get one area, which is a recession does not fall in value but all the areas around it do fall .

That is not the case. Some areas appreciate more relative to other areas over time. For example, Ranelagh changed in the late 1980s from a flatland to a highly desired suburb over a period of less than three years. Gentrification raises the character of an area more than other areas which do not go through similar changes. Infrastructure not the lack of it can also lead to greater or lesser relative changes in values. The Luas line for example, has caused greater capital appreciation in areas along the route than in other more remote areas. Cabra is an example where the coming of the Luas and the Technological University are causing a greater rise in values than the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you follow the population cycle of almost any bad area, it naturally gets better when theres almost nobody under 25 left.

This. I'd be thinking about places like Corduff or older parts of Tallaght, where the population aged together and the madness period with teenagers has largely passed. They're still perceived to be worse than they actually are, hence are undervalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I think anywhere along the dart line, luas lines, or future light rail development has to be a good bet. Extra bonus points if also near the coast or wicklow mountains.

Yeah, that's why I'd say Shankill but that's already getting up there in terms of price. If I was looking now, I'd be looking at Bray. Especially with plans to bring the LUAS out that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

And there is the nice Italian restaurant that used to be owned by Mick Wallace!
    There is also a new pub/restaurant called the Richmond Inn which is very nice (despite the basically nothing website - there facebook is better)
    https://www.richmondgastropub.ie/

Rascals is a great addition, it is generally packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Close to Luas, close enough to cycle to town, close to Hueston and motorway.

I'm guessing there's a catch

Had thought that Ballyfermot would make the list though it could be more than 10 years away. I would imagine that the eastern part of Ballyfermot closest to Kilmainham would be attractive to first time buyers who are priced out of Kilmainham. Though I'm not sure where Ballyfermots anti social behaviour is happening, is it widespread or just confined to a few estates? I've only ever been through it during daytime, anyone know what the village centre is like at nighttime?

hmmm wrote: »
    Gentrification works well in working class communities, where people might not be rich but have jobs - their kids are encouraged to do well at school, rising tide etc.

Where it doesn't work is when you have a concentration of families who have never worked, never want to work, and their kids never want to work. They will make your life an absolute misery because they enjoy it. And that's the problem with parts of Ballyer, which spill over into the nicer parts of the area.
    I have lived in lower ballyfermot (Lally Road) for about 4 years and I absolutely love it.
    Neighbours are extremely nice and very friendly, 15 minutes on a good day on bus into town. I checked with a friend of a friend who is a Gardai and he recommended street as being quiet.

It is to a degree variable from street to street, but Lower Ballyfermot in general is pretty settled these days. Markiewicz park is great, also close to war memorials, can walk into Inchicore, kilmainham etc.

The house was a bit of fixer upper when bought about 4/5 years, lots of people seem to have bought in the area recently, nearly all being owner occupied.

Price wise things have shot up though looking at daft its 230/240 asking even on Landen Road.

Err and the last house on Lally Road sold for 287k...
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/32-lally-road-ballyfermot-dublin-10/4233825

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Had thought that Ballyfermot would make the list though it could be more than 10 years away. I would imagine that the eastern part of Ballyfermot closest to Kilmainham would be attractive to first time buyers who are priced out of Kilmainham. Though I'm not sure where Ballyfermots anti social behaviour is happening, is it widespread or just confined to a few estates? I've only ever been through it during daytime, anyone know what the village centre is like at nighttime?
    If by village centre you mean up towards where the tesco is?

I havent noticed any issues, though I only really ever have a reason to go up there during the day, it definitely has a more urban vibe put it that way ha.
    I will say it also has Molloys which is a fantastic off-license lol

I have seen anything anti social behaviour wise on my street, if you go up past markiewicz you might see the odd scrambler thats about it.
    I honestly feel safer here than Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

lived in Kilmainham / James Street for 3 years and would say sa pretty decent place. Not totally terrible but has good access from Luas to Buses.

so i'd say the surrounding areas will hold / grow its value

Rialto, Inchicore, Kilmainham all the way to Suir Road / Drimnagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Ashtown! Hidden gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

cronos wrote: »
    Ashtown! Hidden gem.

Hardly hidden, mostly new, full of developments, on a train libe etc. Pretty expensive and for good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

Finglas East, Glanevin North, Ballygall or whatever you want to call it still has some good value in its housing (which is generally of a good quality), but some properties have really gone up in the past couple of yeats. A house opposite Johnstown Park sold for nearly 400,000 last year.

The risk is that obviously a crash could bring all the houses crashing down, but as long as the market sustains itself I think you can expect the houses to hold or rise.

The new metro link will pass nearby on its way up to the airport, the proposed metro north should come through Finglas village and the new bus links will serve the area very well.

You have good access to large Tescos and and Aldis/Lidls as well as to the M50.

Finglas village is fine and has good potential for growth.

All in all I think it's a pretty solid area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Agree about finglas. You can still get a decent 3 bed semi for 250k. It's 30 minutes from town by a number of busses,the m50 is 5 minutes away and dcu,the airport and Ikea only minutes away too.
    The prices have been very slow to increase in finglas West probably due to its alleged reputation 25 years ago but times change and you can get some very good value at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

East side of Finglas Road is good. House prices are holding up or increasing.
    West side of Finglas Road not the best to look for a house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

serox_21 wrote: »
    East side of Finglas Road is good. House prices are holding up or increasing.
    West side of Finglas Road not the best to look for a house.

There are two areas i would say never to buy in..one is Hazelcroft beside Tesco and the other is the area around Cappagh road..pretty much everywhere else is fine and quite a few areas are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I wanted to start this thread around areas that may see housing appreciation over the next few years.

For example, Ringsend area now has increased in value due to growth of tech companies and proximity to town.

Bray is a fantastic spot. Although value has diminished (people who want SCD but finding themselves priced out).

It beats a lot of Dublin amenity wise and has the Dart/M50 to give good access.

It still labours under the rep for being rough but thats not the reality in many areas.

Space, fresh air, green all round, varied architecture, better weather generally than more inland Dublin and far less of the sense of background aggro and friction that comes with living in any city environment. You've Dundrum for city-like shopping and other than that you have everything you need locally.

Raising kids with the seafront, Kilruddery house and Wicklow on your doorstep is a real positive compared with living in an anonymous estate in the middle of a concrete, frenetic jungle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Baldoyle is a great spot. Surrounded by great suburbs (Malahide, Howth). Easy access to the city center. (Each part would be no more than a 10-minute walk to a Dart station (Clongriffin, Bayside, and Sutton). While it's not the cheapest, it certainly is very affordable.

Advertisement