Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's bikes

Options
  • 05-02-2019 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice, and this forum hasn't let me down yet. My ten year old needs a new bike. He doesn't compete, he's not doing downhills in Ticknock, literally just a bike for cycling on the road, maybe places like Lough Boots etc. So mountain-ish bike.

Where is the best place to get value, especially considering how quickly he is growing?

I was looking at B'twin bikes on decathlon, but don't know anything about them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 goreyhead

Hi
    Was is the same boat last week as was looking for a bike for my 11 year old daughter (who’s tall for her age), all the kids bikes for her age were rubbish and way over priced for what they were, but managed to get her a second hand small framed woman’s carrea axle that had only been ever used once for 140 euro which ideal for her and good for road and light trails

Best advice is to keep a eye on the second hand sites like done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Carrera Crixus comes in a 48 frame. Worth a look for around €300 if he's tall enough. It's a cx bike so can go off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

goreyhead wrote: »
    Hi
    Was is the same boat last week as was looking for a bike for my 11 year old daughter (who’s tall for her age), all the kids bikes for her age were rubbish and way over priced for what they were, but managed to get her a second hand small framed woman’s carrea axle that had only been ever used once for 140 euro which ideal for her and good for road and light trails

Best advice is to keep a eye on the second hand sites like done deal

Thanks for the reply. Will likely be a present, so second hand may not work

tigerboon wrote: »
    Carrera Crixus comes in a 48 frame. Worth a look for around €300 if he's tall enough. It's a cx bike so can go off road.

Appreciate the reply, but not really looking at road/CX type bikes, thinking more the kids mountain bike type thing he has at the moment, but bigger.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/rockrider-500-kids-24-inch-mountain-bike-8-12-years-blue-en-s308235.html

The above would be the general sort of thing I'm looking for, a kids bike they can cycle around with friends, go up to the woods with, cycle on the road, and (inevitably) drop it at the curb, fall off, scratch it up and probably outgrow in 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My son has this - I think its an outstanding bike at a very good price, that will be good from age 10 to 15 (in my opinion), and would have a good resale value.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/atx-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Height?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Have a look at the Orbea MX 27 XS 60

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Your budget is definitely going to be a factor,
    Almost always guides the final decision to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Decathlon probably worth a look.

Max budget is €200, loathe to spend more when I know he'll outgrow it.

Decathlon is where I had looked. Posted a link to the B'twin Rockrider 500 above, anybody any experience or input?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Height?

142cm in his sock feet

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cletus wrote: »
    142cm in his sock feet

An XS 26" would prob fit then. When I was buying same I got a Trek Marlin, great little bike, but about 500 euros from LBS. I guess if the bike you're buying isn't going to do proper off road the quality of brakes and suspension doesn't matter much. A decent off road fork costs your entire budget.

Lumen wrote: »
    An XS 26" would prob fit then. When I was buying same I got a Trek Marlin, great little bike, but about 500 euros from LBS. I guess if the bike you're buying isn't going to do proper off road the quality of brakes and suspension doesn't matter much. A decent off road fork costs your entire budget.

Thanks Lumen. No he definitely won't be doing proper off road. As I said, just normal kid cycling around the estate or the road or whatever type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

All the kids(10-12 yrs.) around our way seem to be going around on Carrerra's. The bikes look big but they can manage them, some really cool looking ones.

We've a birthday coming up, so might look at this one
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-hellcat-mens-mountain-bike-red-16-18-20-frames

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cletus wrote: »
    Max budget is €200, loathe to spend more when I know he'll outgrow it.

Decathlon is where I had looked. Posted a link to the B'twin Rockrider 500 above, anybody any experience or input?

Over budget, but I went with a Frog 69 for my daughter which is a really great little bike. Decent enough resale price, or so I'm told, when the inevitable upgrade comes. Design wise, I'd suggest single chain ring if possible and as light as your budget allows. We did a full rebuild of an old Raleigh prior to the Frog, and while it was a fantastic project to do with her, the resulting bike was never that great due to a very heavy frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We have a 24" wheel mountain bike and I regret buying it. Weighs a ton. No need of suspension and loads of gears for hacking around. Something as light as possible and as simple as possible for repairs is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

The Btwin you linked to is the same bike my 12 ye old has had for 18 months. Still in good shape, gears and brakes still good working order. I believe it offers great value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    My son has this - I think its an outstanding bike at a very good price, that will be good from age 10 to 15 (in my opinion), and would have a good resale value.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/atx-2

How heavy is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I got the 12 year old one of these: https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/rockrider-st-100-27-5-en-s192872.html

seems a decent bike, he loves it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

loyatemu wrote: »
    I got the 12 year old one of these: https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/rockrider-st-100-27-5-en-s192872.html

seems a decent bike, he loves it.

Price difference seems to come down to weight to a large extent. While way cheaper than the Frog this bike is listed as 15.3kg where the Frog is 9.9kg Personally, I'd go for rigid forks and single chain ring for a kids bike if it was an option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement