Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to buy question for separated couple

Options
  • 05-02-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a kind of weird question and hoping you could help
    My ex and i separated roughly two years ago and we still are great friends for the sake of the two kids
    At the time we were together we were renting while saving for a mortgage
    At this moment i have roughly 13,000 saved for a mortgage,

My question is ,even though my wife and i are separated are we still able to apply for the help to buy tax credit jointly even though i won't be living in the house but will be contributing towards the mortgage as though i will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I dont think they care

Can more than one buyer apply?

Yes, more than one buyer can apply as long as all parties are first-time buyers. The maximum tax rebate of €20,000 applies per property, so the rebate can be claimed against more than one buyer’s income tax and DIRT payments over the previous four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oleard5

I dont think they care

Can more than one buyer apply?

Yes, more than one buyer can apply as long as all parties are first-time buyers. The maximum tax rebate of €20,000 applies per property, so the rebate can be claimed against more than one buyer’s income tax and DIRT payments over the previous four years.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I dont think they care

Revenue may not care, but if I was the bank I’d be super careful around this arrangement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

oleard5 wrote: »
    My question is ,even though my wife and i are separated are we still able to apply for the help to buy tax credit jointly even though i won't be living in the house but will be contributing towards the mortgage as though i will

No appears to be the answer:
    To claim HTB, you must:
    • be a first-time buyer
    • buy or build a new property between 19 July 2016 and 31 December 2019
    • live in the property as your main home for five years after you buy or build it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If we ignore the kids for a half second how is any of this even remotely a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Graham wrote: »
    No appears to be the answer:

Aah I totally missed the part where he wouldn’t be living in the house.

Even still land mines all around this arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Pretty sure the op is asking if it will affect the application, not looking for life advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

True. He totally should buy a house for/with his ex which he will still be paying for when his kids grow up, move out and get married. A house he will be paying for when he has a new girlfriend/wife and possible kids or step kids. A house he'll still be paying for when his ex starts a new relationship.

Yea. He doesn't need any life advice. He totally seems to have it all under control.

Advertisement