Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting/walking boots

Options
  • 05-02-2019 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi All

In recently took part in a mountain trek and plan on doing it again as it was very enjoyable.
    Just wondering if somebody can recommend a good pair of boots that can double up as walking and hunting boots.
    I guess the main criteria are, comfortable, robust & waterproof. (and not break the bank)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Meindl: Dorve, Taiga or Antarkis are all high hunting / hiking boots.

I have Taigas for the past nine years and they have never let me down. Will probably send them back to Meindl in Germany in a year or two to be resoled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Have bestard boots. Got them off the local rfd at a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Meindl Dorve all day long..

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Meindl boots look the business. Initial outlay is expensive but over the lifetime probably not....
    Who sells them here? (Cork/Tipp area)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I have Le Chameau Mouflon boots now for 11 years.

Find them to be a great boot - very tough & comfortable & warm in winter.

https://store.westleyrichards.com/le-chameau-mouflon-walking-boots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

HW100S wrote: »
    Meindl boots look the business. Initial outlay is expensive but over the lifetime probably not....
    Who sells them here? (Cork/Tipp area)

A bit of a spin up the motorway to Prosperous but worth it to get Meindl. I don't know of anywhere nearer to you. When you are spending this much it's important to try them on to get the right fit.
    https://www.huntingandfishing.ie/?s=Meindl&post_type=product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Meindl and Hiax
    I had high and low Meindl boots both excellant bits of kit.
    I now use Hiax military pattern boots.
    Both makes of boot are great hard wearing boots. Well used in the Wicklow hills, good in boggy ground, snow etc. I've had the Hiax out in the dry rocky Pyrenees and give great support and ankle protection among the sharp landscape.

The only issue I have with the Hiax is that I find them not very grippy when walking over smooth rock or wet flat or short grass.

There are boots specificaly designed with grippy soles to walk on rock faces but I find that the Mendial / Hiax are a good compromise for Irelands terrain and climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

Some great info there, much appreciated. Will be in kildare next weekend so can call to McCarthy's, have been there before.
    At least i can look at them anyway....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

If your heading up you should call into protac in the curragh too, they stock meindl boots. They have the army pro and the shorter version army gore too. I have the army pro 6 or 7 years now and they are still as comfortable as the day i got them and have never leaked. Think i paid €260 or so for them but i would have spent that twice on cheaper boots over the last few years.

I wear mine hunting the wicklow mountains and hiking and ya would forget your wearing a big pair of boots

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

If you are after a good pair of boots try the Hi Tech extreme 3 boots from Hi Tec, had a pair for 8 years and only recently discarded them for a new pair, from Blacks in the UK and they were under 50 euro delivered yesterday. For general use and a bit of hiking. Very comfortable and waterproof but they dont have high leg support.

I have a pair of Bestard boots I bought last year and they seem excellent as well I picked up from Jon Burke.

The mendel boots I have 21 years and they are as good as they day they were bought, almost. Been all over the world with them and the only drawback is that they are a bit heavy, but thats probably the design I chose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

Mendl, whichever suits ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Wear the socks you will be wearing for the try-on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A make most people don't either know about or think off is Lowa.

Top quality boot. I bought a pair some years back as the dealer was selling them off and even told me after he didn't realise the true price of them so he said i got a true bargain. They are pricey, but they lasted years and i do not go easy on a boot.

They're waterproof, rugged, comfortable, warm and not too heavy.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

GriSport are a very good boot for the money. I have these,

https://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots-c78/ranger-p962

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I had a pair of Harkila which fell apart , Just bought a pair of Meindl Dovre , about €260 delivered form the UK.

Like them so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I had a pair of Harkila which fell apart , Just bought a pair of Meindl Dovre , about €260 delivered form the UK.

Like them so far.

Recently bought a air of Harkila and I find them very comfortable and keep my feet lovely and warm just hope they last..... They don't a seem to get a lot of support here. Probably should have bought a pair of Meindl but time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

pm. wrote: »
    Recently bought a air of Harkila and I find them very comfortable and keep my feet lovely and warm just hope they last..... They don't a seem to get a lot of support here. Probably should have bought a pair of Meindl but time will tell

I found them very comfortable to be fair.
    The leather at the back padding just disintegrated and allowed water in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I found them very comfortable to be fair.
    The leather at the back padding just disintegrated and allowed water in.

So do I, how long did you have them before the leather disintegrated?

pm. wrote: »
    So do I, how long did you have them before the leather disintegrated?

probably about 4 years, but really only wore them 10-14 days a year for deer stalking..

• Advertisement
Advertisement