Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Possibly this wind event was a little north of due westerly which exposed different areas around Dublin to the strong gusts than is often the case, things should gradually calm down to a more tolerable level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has clearly been as wild a night out there as here. Seriously sleep deprived and fighting off migraine..

The door of the extension here blew in and a window in there blew out. Roofing scattered around from that.Also my letterbox went sideways early on.

Hoping all are safe now?

Need help with sorting why boards . ie is not loading properly for me. Has been off all night...

Not seen the forecast yet

"Junior cert is not on till June. I think she'll get some sleep between now and then "

There are often Mock /practice exams at this season that are very important.

"Some absolute huge gusts hitting us here outside Newport, Far worse than this morning.
    Met.ie saying we're in a yellow warning now but I'm sure it's gusting well into orange level now.
    We're fairly exposed here with a funnel effect from SW winds so maybe it's just the direction it's hitting us from that makes it seem worse for us.
    Any sign of Graces7? Hope all is ok offshore."

Boards not loading properly..

All is well afaik... Stayed well safe as always. Cats in, me in, fuel in... Closed down as always .... It was terrifying. I have hated these gales since losing family in the big tsunami. There is so much sheer power out there.
    We are a hardy lot out here... my neighbour the ferryman will be by today with turf so I will catch up with any news and ask about making the storm damage safe here.

Stay safe and rest out there.

Blessings and peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Peak gust last night here near Arklow in the 'sheltered' southeast equaled the previous night at 82kmh westerly at around 140am
    Still windy here now gusting to 50 westerly

• Advertisement

Silence! Bliss! Last night was GBH of the eardrums.. Heard things flying out there so soon will emerge to see what is still there...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Easily the worst wind in a long time in glencullen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

I dont think ive ever heard wind howling that loud before in West Offaly. It was a wild night alright. I hate the wind, so much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Seve OB wrote: »
    Junior cert is not on till June. I think she'll get some sleep between now and then :D

Don’t be an ass, if you didn’t get what the poster meant :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wow, seems like you dub folks got a proper storm! Hope all is well.

Quieter night down here, just the odd strong gust. Erik was pretty impressive by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Graces7 wrote: »
    For some reason boards will not load properly for me. On that low service layout. Not the server as all other sites including other forums are fine..help appreciated.. many thanks. so no way to thank, to use smilies etc etc etc.. HELP!

Somehow I think you'll survive Graces. Windy night here too. The 'thanks' feature can be overrated anyway ;)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057952664/1/#post109328285

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

"Some absolute huge gusts hitting us here outside Newport, Far worse than this morning.
    Met.ie saying we're in a yellow warning now but I'm sure it's gusting well into orange level now.
    We're fairly exposed here with a funnel effect from SW winds so maybe it's just the direction it's hitting us from that makes it seem worse for us.
    Any sign of Graces7? Hope all is ok offshore."

Boards not loading properly..

All is well afaik... Stayed well safe as always. Cats in, me in, fuel in... Closed down as always .... It was terrifying. I have hated these gales since losing family in the big tsunami. There is so much sheer power out there.
    We are a hardy lot out here... my neighbour the ferryman will be by today with turf so I will catch up with any news and ask about making the storm damage safe here.

Glad you survived yet another Atlantic onslaught Grace7.

Serious question. Did you (or would you) ever consider living on 'the mainland' if only for the gentler climate?

Stay safe and rest out there.

Blessings and peace

Glad you survived yet another Atlantic onslaught Grace7.

Serious question, and tell me to feck off if I'm being nosey, but did you (or would you) ever consider living on 'the mainland', if only for the gentler climate?

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Relative calm has descended here to Cavan.
    Pretty wild night, a few loose bits knocked over in the yard and about 2 inches of water in the wheelbarrow.
    A quarter bale of straw, tied up in an open shed, virtually disintegrated, but overall no damage done.

"Serious question, and tell me to feck off if I'm being nosey, but did you (or would you) ever consider living on 'the mainland', if only for the gentler climate?"

I think you are being subjective here! Many are. Holds no fears for me and actually can be as bad on the mainland. And is reading the posts here from y'day. n the tsumani memory is a different matter and applied wherever I have lived.

I came to this island 18 months ago and it is HOME for as long as I live.

Before I came to Ireland I lived on a very remote North Sea island with far worse weather than here. Hated living on the mainland and as soon as I could, came offshore .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I think you are being subjective here! Many are. Holds no fears for me and actually can be as bad on the mainland. And is reading the posts here from y'day. n the tsumani memory is a different matter and applied wherever I have lived. I came to this island 18 months ago and it is HOME for as long as I live.Before I came to Ireland I lived on a very remote North Sea island with far worse weather than here. Hated living on the mainland and as soon as I could, came offshore .

From your postings I think that you've also lived all over Ireland since arriving here. Where was the worst for the weather so far in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

The Pres/Mocks are on at present if I am not mistaken
    Seve OB wrote: »
    Junior cert is not on till June. I think she'll get some sleep between now and then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I seen a report of 54 knots at Malin Head around 4pm yesterday, does anyone know where the highest gusts were recorded or where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Thewife wrote: »

Missing sleep on a Friday night in the middle of Junior Cert mocks isn't the worst thing in the world. I presume there are no exams on Saturdays? Even if there were exams next day 15/16 year Olds are pretty resilient. It's not like missing a couple of nights' sleep. I wouldn't be that indulging to the youngster. Come Leaving cert there'll be nights you may not sleep with anxiety and life in general will throw sleepless nights at you. At little life lesson without much repercussion :)

If a junior doctor working long hours missed his few hours sleep, given their responsibility, it could have more serious consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

"Serious question, and tell me to feck off if I'm being nosey, but did you (or would you) ever consider living on 'the mainland', if only for the gentler climate?"

I think you are being subjective here! Many are. Holds no fears for me and actually can be as bad on the mainland. And is reading the posts here from y'day. n the tsumani memory is a different matter and applied wherever I have lived.

I came to this island 18 months ago and it is HOME for as long as I live.

Before I came to Ireland I lived on a very remote North Sea island with far worse weather than here. Hated living on the mainland and as soon as I could, came offshore .

That’s brave of you to move to a new island at the age of 80. Didn’t you say you are 82 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I was only replying to the person who said the exams weren’t on until June . I neither agree nor disagree about a teenager and lack of sleep , I also have no idea of exams are on at the weekend . Also totally agree about how hard doctors and junior doctors work , no disputing that at all 🀷*♀️
    I was simply replying to the person who said The exams aren’t until to June Just to let them know there is pres/mocks on now .. by doing so I was in no way agreeing nor disagreeing about the teenager getting less sleep etc I was simply pointing it out 🀷*♀️🀣
    Marengo wrote: »
    Missing sleep on a Friday night in the middle of Junior Cert mocks isn't the worst thing in the world. I presume there are no exams on Saturdays? Even if there were exams next day 15/16 year Olds are pretty resilient. It's not like missing a couple of nights' sleep. I wouldn't be that indulging to the youngster. Come Leaving cert there'll be nights you may not sleep with anxiety and life in general will throw sleepless nights at you. At little life lesson without much repercussion :)

If a junior doctor working long hours missed his few hours sleep, given their responsibility, it could have more serious consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Depends on the school. I have mine this week and next week but like, come on now, it's the weekend. Besides mocks aren't worth it if I'm honest.

Off topic discussion over :P.

I fell fast asleep around midnight as I did a long day of frequent updates on Twitter so I missed out on the peak of Erik in Dublin.

How would you compare Erik to Ali? Storm Ali is still my favourite storm of the season I think and probably since the storm naming began in 2015 although Storm Doris in February 2017 was also a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I was only replying to the person who said the exams weren’t on until June . I neither agree nor disagree about a teenager and lack of sleep , I also have no idea of exams are on at the weekend . Also totally agree about how hard doctors and junior doctors work , no disputing that at all 🀷*♀️
    I was simply replying to the person who said The exams aren’t until to June Just to let them know there is pres/mocks on now .. by doing so I was in no way agreeing nor disagreeing about the teenager getting less sleep etc I was simply pointing it out 🀷*♀️🀣

Yes I meant to quote the original quote, apologies :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I seen a report of 54 knots at Malin Head around 4pm yesterday, does anyone know where the highest gusts were recorded or where.

According to Met E, highest gust was 65kts/120kmh at Mace Head.

Note that was highest gust yesterday, up to midnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sryanbruen wrote: »

How would you compare Erik to Ali? Storm Ali is still my favourite storm of the season I think and probably since the storm naming began in 2015 although Storm Doris in February 2017 was also a lot of fun.

Yes Storm Ali was a classic and that's coming from a person who saw trees falling all over the place on the way to work in Galway. Storms make me feel alive.

Never mind the mocks! You'll probably be doing exams until your mid 20s so don't burn yourself out now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

DOCARCH wrote: »
    According to Met E, highest gust was 65kts/120kmh at Mace Head.

Note that was highest gust yesterday, up to midnight.

Thanks. Nothing out of the ordinary here to be fair last night , I think the worst of the wind was yesterday evening espeacially with the showers, Well eased back here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The highest gust overall in Ireland and the UK (ignoring any stations above 200 metres) was that 65 kts at Mace Head.

In the North, 59 kts at Castlederg was the highest.

In Scotland, Dundrennan (114 m) got 64 kts.

In Englsnd, St. Bees Head (Cumbria, 124 m) also got 64 kts.

Ronaldsway (Isle of Man) got 60 kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm Erik has been added to my table of storm comparison now. I have also added Eleanor, Rachel and Erich (a placeholder name for that storm on Wikipedia so I thought I'd use it) - some of the worst storms this decade.

Each cell is coloured by their warranted warning.

These are all maximum wind gusts (kph), highest 10-minute mean wind speeds will be added to its respective table next month when the data is available.

CFV3Hsb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

69 mph was my highest recorded wind gust in Galway City and that was last night around 1am when we had some very strong gusts of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Storm Erik has been added to my table of storm comparison now. I have also added Eleanor, Rachel and Erich (a placeholder name for that storm on Wikipedia so I thought I'd use it) - some of the worst storms this decade.

Each cell is coloured by their warranted warning.

These are all maximum wind gusts (kph), highest 10-minute mean wind speeds will be added to its respective table next month when the data is available.

SGCAu2J.png

Hi sryanbreun, thanks again for the great data, the red might be easier to read if you set the conditional formatting to white font for example when the fill is red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Depends on the school. I have mine this week and next week but like, come on now, it's the weekend. Besides mocks aren't worth it if I'm honest.

Off topic discussion over :P.

I fell fast asleep around midnight as I did a long day of frequent updates on Twitter so I missed out on the peak of Erik in Dublin.

Ali was probably stronger. I think people have kind of gotten used to a lack of wind because we've hardly had any this winter. Doris, Ophelia, Emma, Frank and Georgina felt louder but I don't know if they were all stronger. Also, Storm Rachel from a few years ago felt louder. That was the storm that had a red warning in the West I think.

Advertisement